New Cumulative General History Quiz III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph

Multi Many Tasks man
Retired Moderator
Why does everybody think my questions are difficult?

Hmm... The Russian infantry during the Napoleonic wars had a particularity regarding uniforms. What was it?

I know the question is a bit vague... But you can ask questions so I could try to guide you to the correct answer.

OK I have a question. Is "specifity" an English word? ;) :mischief:

Yes, I know I'm being cruel and I can guess the meaning but this doesn't make sense. Can you be a bit more "specific"?!

Hmmm, not really! :D

..but are you looking for the fact that they wore a drab green colour uniform, almost like camouflage? Everyone else wore nice bright uniforms with shiny buttons that could be seen kilometres away!

Asclepius said:
Hmmm, not really! :D

..but are you looking for the fact that they wore a drab green colour uniform, almost like camouflage? Everyone else wore nice bright uniforms with shiny buttons that could be seen kilometres away!
Nope... It's something along this line, but that's not it

Abegweit said:
Do you mean specificity? This is a word. I don't think yours is.
Before all of the language fascists jump in here... I was being overly picky and asking Steph to clarify his question. I know specificity isn't a word, try reading the rest of the thread, that was my point!

To help clarify, without stepping on Steph's toes too much, I will rephrase his question, which I believe should be something like:

What characteristic of Russian Napoleonic era uniforms was specifically unique to them?

I hope that helps. Sorry for interfering Steph.

Asclepius said:
What characteristic of Russian Napoleonic era uniforms was specifically unique to them?
That's a bad rewording. It's not really a charactistic of the uniforms, but a characteristic of the infantry (mainly) related to their uniforms.

El_Tigre said:
Do you mean the rolled up greatcoat, carried across the shoulder? It offered additional protection against bayonets.
No, it's not specific to Russia, a lot of other countries did the same.

You're right, I just thought that the Russians were the first that used their coats in such a way.

If I may venture another guess: I remember reading about a battle in which the French captured thousands of Russian backpacks (Austerlitz?). Only Russian infantry dropped their backpacks before battle, I think.

Steph said:
That's a bad rewording. It's not really a charactistic of the uniforms, but a characteristic of the infantry (mainly) related to their uniforms.
:blush: Sorry Steph, I'll remember to turn my auto-censor off next time....

Abegweit said:
But it is...
OK. So I subliminally corrected the spelling error "specifity" (which has been expunged from the thread) to a real word, specificity. Neither can be used in the original sentence anyway, so quit being obtuse.

Move on and try answering the question.

The question is much to vague. Both of the possible answers that I could come up with, the great coat and the back packs, were already stated. As can be told by SoCalian's post, at least some of us have reached the point of blind guessing. BTW, does it have something to do with the rankings?

Procedures :-
1) A asks a question, the rest will try to answer.
2) A must confirm which answer is correct.
3) Person (say B) with confirmed correct answer then asks the next question.
4) A cannot play again until B's turn is over (to prevent the thread turning into a 2 person spam party).
5) Repeat.
6) If person asking question doesn't login to confirm answers within 72 hrs of his question being posted, any one can ask a new question.
7) If no one can answer question within 72 hrs or can't get the right one, questioner can ask again.
8) Preferably no Net or book searches.
9) If answer has been confirmed and the new questioner hasn't set a question in 72 hours, anyone can ask the new question.

First thread
Second thread

Were they made so that it was most comfortable to stand up straight? I know
that the rate of Russian casualties at Borodino dropped dramatically when the soldiers were ordered to lie down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom