FS2- The Soviet Union

Farae

Lord of All Crisca
DISCLAIMER: I am not and never have been a communist. :) This succession game does NOT reflect my views.

What? The USSR lost the Cold War? Nay! We must ressurect the Worker's Paradise!! Rouse the workers, fire up the factories, to arms o People, the slave bondage of capitalism, monarchy, and the like must be brought to an end!

World Size: Large
Map: Continents
Difficulty: Noble or Prince
Sea Level: Low
Era: Ancient (Up for debate)
Speed: Normal
Victory Options: Domination :king:
AI: 10-12

The Cold War was about domination. Thus, victory can only come to the USSR in this game by domination.

Variant Rules

Required Civics**

Government- Police State
Legal- Nationhood
Labor- Serfdom, Slavery, Emancipation after 1/3 populace get angry *up for debate*
Economy- State Property
Religion- Theocracy***

1) We may adopt any civics we wish until a required civic can be adopted. Once a technology is discovered that unlocks a required civic, we have 7 turns to make the switch.

**These civics are up for debate.

*** This is not a religious theocracy, more like a "The State is the Religion" type of theocracy, or a "worship the State" type of thing.

2) Religious Policy- We may not found or adopt any religions. The required Theocracy civic is too stop the spread of religions!

3) We may not build banks, the Statue of Liberty, Hollywood, or Mt. Rushmore. However, we MUST build the Kremlin! If we do not build the Kremlin, we are at war automatically with whomever built it and we must then capture it!

4) Our GDP and Manufactured Goods must be #1!

5) The capitalist pigs whom reside in Washington must be destroyed!

6) There is no switching to Emancipation until public pressure forces the Chairman to make it so. The pressure builds when our capital and two largest cities have 1/3 their population in Emancipation Unhappiness.

Ex- Moscow is our largest city with 18, then Kiev with 15 and Rostov with 12.

When Moscow has 6+ unhappiness from Emancipation, Kiev 5+ and Rostov 4+, we make the switch.

Any other neat variants may be suggested.

Roster (Closed)

1) Farae
2) Vovan (MIA!)
3) JesusonEez
3A) Silver
4) Strauss (MIA!)
5) Therat (up!)
6) Pvblivs

1) S.ilver (playing in Vovan and Pvblivs' spot)

In case there is a mass extinction in one of our nations/regions/states/provinces/holdings of the Farae Empire, I am opening the Alternate Roster.

Hey, I'll play. :)

I would suggest leaving all the other victory options on (so that the other civs can go for them), but have it a rule that we have to go for domination. (Although, in the light of the cold war, you would think the space race would work too? :))

Also, I'd say prince would be a good difficulty level to play. :)

Vovan

Space race would work...but there are a few issues with enabling other victories.

Conquest- That is fine, if we do well, it cannot be achieved by others.

Space Race- Inevitably, we would HAVE to go for this option as another civ would go for it and we would either have to Space Race or lose.

Cultural- Time is disabled, it is VERY hard to win by culture, so this would be fine to keep enabled, but you never know, some guy might pop out and bite off your head with his pleasantly refined and cultured jaws.

Diplomacy- It will be HARD to get allies to prevent bad bills from going through *any civics bills, Diplomatic Victory, etc*, and we will need allies no matter what...unless we get enough of the world to vote ourselves to secratary general and keep the laws in our control. :)

Well, that's the thing. We would have to go for domination, but I think leaving all the other victory options enabled makes for a more exciting end-game. Especially the space ship. Without that victory condition, by the time space ships roll around, we would pretty much be in cruise control, if everything goes according to plan with destroying three other civs, and such. But the space ship would add that extra little bit of spice to the end game, since if we leave someone to sit strong enough to be a credible threat at the space ship, we would really have to exert ourselves and basically attack our strongest opponent. And that, to me, is what makes for a fun game - not knowing that you will win for the longest possible time. :) If you would rather keep the other victory conditions off, however, that's fine, it's still an interesting variant. ;)

Vovan

I would've liked to join but my comp cannot handle huge maps so I'll take a pass. Interesting variant though so I'll be watching, long live USSR...uh..yeah..:p

I really like this idea as well, Russia is a great Civ in Civ4. However, huge is really taxing for any computer, any chance to lower that?

since you changed map size I will join as well ;)

Forbidding the Emancipation civic would both be historically accurate and make the game significantly more challenging.

Forbidding the Emancipation civic would both be historically accurate and make the game significantly more challenging.
I do disagree here, communist countries always relied heavily on using the female workforce as well. So emancipation must be in.
As for religions, atheism isn't in the game unfortunately, so we go for no religion and theocracy to prevent any spread of those.

I would go for prince difficulty, Russia is quite a powerhouse as a Civ.

HOM said:
If you've still got a spot, I'm in.

Welcome aboard. :)

Forbidding the Emancipation civic would both be historically accurate and make the game significantly more challenging

Hm...I might do that, we will probably adopt slavery.

But Bezhukov, do you wish to play as well? I am fine with 7 players. :)

I would like to join such a variant as well if you mind. Sovjets sounds exciting!

I know I don't look like a sovjet guy but I can if I want to ;)

For open points: I would prefer Prince (Noble sounds too easy at least before Emancipation) and an ancient start. For civics: Free Markets and Free Speech in diplomacy terms should be something we don't like. I would not stick too much and only on Washington. We prefer weaker partners (for trades etc.) and rather struggle with strongers (the strongest) as we want to be the one and only superpower. ;)

ThERat said:
I do disagree here, communist countries always relied heavily on using the female workforce as well. So emancipation must be in.
As for religions, atheism isn't in the game unfortunately, so we go for no religion and theocracy to prevent any spread of those.

I would go for prince difficulty, Russia is quite a powerhouse as a Civ.
The social order that matches USSR's arrangement most closely would be Serfdom: In USSR, all people living on collective farms had their passports taken away and couldn't leave the farm without official permission. (If you were caught without a passport, you'd be in big trouble.) This is the exact definition of Serfdom (unlike slaves, serfs are assigned to the land they work on, rather than their masters).

And yes, managing Emancipation unhappiness would be quite hard, so you'd just have to kill all those capitalist pigs before they learned such subversive theories. :)

I have decided to allow Pvblis to play even though 7 players is usually considered too large a number. Why have I done this?

1) It is my SG.

2) Thanks to the merciless Administration at my school, I often find myself packed up. 7 players means the show goes on even if I vanish.

I am playing now, report to follow!

EDIT: The final issue is one I sadly have to resolve. Space Race is turned off.

EDIT2: There may be events that prevent me from uploading this until later. If this is so, vote on this....

Turn off Space Race?
Turn off Diplomacy?
What leader (Catherine or Peter?)?

Yes
Yes
Catherine

Space race on in light of the Cold War
Diplomacy option could be turned on, but on the other hand, if we're going for domination we will almost certainly be so big by the time the UN is built that we can just decide not to select the diplomatic victory resolution, so it's not really useful anyway.

Catherine is my pick for the leader

Top Bottom