Gotm 61

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
Rumor abounds of tribes, already friendly with each other, having a group of units being ready to strike at the weaker Celts, whom they hate.

Survive the initial onslaught and maybe, just maybe, you'll grow strong enough to exact some revenge.

The game settings
Difficulty: King
Tribe: Celts
Barbs: Restless Tribes
Restarts: On
Map: 60x60 (Flat Map) No Huts
Direct Tech

Saved game:
http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmdownload_61.shtml

Games are due March 11th, 2006.

This is the first time, that I know of, that we can only see 9 tiles instead of the usual 21. (How is this accomplished?) That and the fact that there are no huts make map analysis very difficult.

Of the 16 main resource seeds, 7 are possible. Of these 2 yield a zero-special initial location, 4 yield a 1-special initial location, and 1 yields a 3-special initial location. These are very bad odds for OCC. Lack of huts and the fact that other civs hate Celts in the beginning are two more major obstacles for playing OCC.

Looks a very poor starting location. I'm not familiar with map clicking and I'll have to rely to what I can see now. Bronze working is good but not enough. King level is not so hard and the map is a pretty small one so I'll expect good chances for a quick conquest game. Can you tell me what is "direct tech"?

When you place a unit while editing a scenario it can only see the eight tiles immediately bordering its starting location (unless it has greater "visible range" like air units). The odd start is probably not the original settler location, or the creator wiped all of the visible map and replaced the starting unit. This is also the reason for the "direct techs", which means no 1/3 tech hiding each selection round (starting with no techs, you cannot go "Alp-Cer-CoL-Mon" without an off-path tech due to tech "hiding").

Dinamo said:
I'll expect good chances for a quick conquest game. Can you tell me what is "direct tech"?
You can go directly to desire tech - climbing the technology tree. (Normally some techs are hidden).

Note that Restarts are On, so the really quick conquest will turn into a restart-hunt, but the small map should help that too.

I have played only few games with restarts on. What are the rules for restarts? How many new AIs will born during the conquest?

Golem: Many theories have been proposed but I don't think anyone really knows the rules. I have seen anywhere from 1 to approx 20 new AI's in a game. The new AI's usually pop up far from the other cities, so you can sometimes predict their location(s) and get there first. If you destroy a new AI, there is a good chance it will pop up again in the same area.

Some of the spoiler threads discuss them in more detail, and there is a very long thread about them at Apolyton. I proposed a strategy against them in my EC guide, which seems to work as well as any other, but I still don't like them.

I've been thinking - if they all hate me then off with them. I'll play this game as war all along. No peace, no cease-fire, no tribute received. Probably I won't have to declare war, just not to pay tribute :). Happy hunting everyone!

This is probably going to be annoying.. hopefully it's one big continent...on the other hand, that could mean they discover the Celts just a bit too soon. If they already have units...

This reminds me a little of gotm 50, with a similar ominous message. Then and now, we can choose to play ambitiously or defensively.

Top Bottom