It makes so little sense it's funny

gettingfat

Emperor
The more I play Civ4, the more I find something not making any sense, to the point I actually find it funny, e.g.

• You're are living in a totally isolated island in the ancient era. Your people exhaust themselves to build a Pyramid for you and is 90% finished. Suddenly a voice in your head tells you, "Stop, it has been built by people far far away, you've infringed somebody's copyright". You're so upset, but then you realize that you can actually turn the stones that you used into heaps of gold by some sort of magic.
  • You can turn the ivory that you trade for into elephant warriors. Another magic.
  • Stone is harder to find than iron. Oil seems to be everywhere.
  • My Mongolian Kershners with flank II promotion don't know how to withdraw from a bunch of spearmen charging at them.
  • Elizabeth still doesn't want to teach me alphabet after I've razed her two cities and beseiged London with my 15 axemen.
  • Seeing a whole stack of longbowmen fortifying at their capital? No problem, we've got suicide bombers, a.k.a. catapults.
  • My people have learned fusion, still have no clue how to plant a tree.
  • The easiest way to win diplomatically is to nuke everybody so your people represent over 67% of population in the world
  • One can spend money on research to discover God

Not that I'm complaining. A game is a game. Just find it so weird.

the only thing I disagree with is " oil is everywhere" , because oil is everywhere just not in huge amounts like the middle east. every thing else I agree with you 100%. I love the game but find it funny.
Good Post gettingfat

It so true that it's funny.

I agree with everything except the oil... because... I seem to always be short on the stuff! Come to think of it, even my neighbours usually are.

BLiTZWiNG said:
I agree with everything except the oil... because... I seem to always be short on the stuff! Come to think of it, even my neighbours usually are.

Actually that's weird. I've played the game at least 50 times. Not one time I don't have oil. Maybe by that time I usually expand my empire either by military or cultural means.

Haha you make some good points.

Ever get to the modern times and find one of your old warriors foritied in one of your cities. Man what has this guy been doin for the last 4000 years, looks good for his age too!

You sacrifice 4 slaves to rush build a big tomb for pharoh, namely Pyramid, and the ghost of pharaoh comes back and tell you next time you should try universal suffrage instead, which is more humane.

As far as pyramids, per se, they could be made a national wonder (so everyone could have one)... not unreasonable, as the Mayas, Aztecs, Incas and Chinese all had similar structures, not to mention other less-known civilizations who built things like the Ruins of Nan Madol. However, then they'd no longer be what they traditionally are... one of the "great wonders of the world" and you'd probably have to considerably reduce their importance.

How about:

- it takes 50 years to move troops from one side of your empire to the other? ie: all the troops who started are dead of old age or retired by the time the unit arrives...

- More Magic: You start out building a Spearman, but halfway he turns into a Pikeman... presto change-o!

I've often wondered why stone is so darn hard to find. I dig in my yard and there's like TONS of rocks! (Marble being rare is more understandable).

HungryMouse said:
Ever heard of genetical engineering? No magic...

But genetics hasn't been discovered until 2000 years later!

c'est fou çà!
il y en a qui sont vraiment lents à la détente putain! :rolleyes:

it makes no sense to
- plays as american, aztec, roman, etc... over a map that is not the real world map
- build a world wonder that another civilization has built in real history
- deal with the same leaders through 6000 years of history
- play with aztecs in the modern age area whereas they should exist since a long time ago
- protect cities with SDI against nuclear missile since SDI doesn't exist in real world
- it makes no sense to be able to reload because it is impossible to bo back to the past
- etc... etc... etc... etc...

let me explain it to you in a very simple way:

CIV 4
IS
JUST
A
GAME
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crazyeye:

OK it's just a game.
Tout le monde le sait. / Everyone knows.

But just imagine! Your 3000 years old troops garding your town still make people happy because they feel protected.
Isn't that funny?
It's still only a game, and it isn't a bug. Yet it's quite funny, to imagine their 3000 years long beards...

wait! doesn't London still have pikemen (Beefeaters), The Vatican has those weird Swiss Guards, and here the Duke of Argyll still has a company of Archers! Or perhaps the warriors still guarding your cities are merely war re-enactment enthusiasts :lol:

if you want realism, live !
But I don't think the first post is a complaint, quite the contrary in fact. It is fun to think of what happens in the game as if it were true, because it's absurd. Part of humour is just about that : imagining absurd things as real.

Et moi aussi je peux écrire une phrase en français si je veux!

Good and funny post , 1 note that you probebly already know but flanking promotions dont work when you defend , they only work when you attack.

wow guys, what a great way to ruin the thread. everyone saying civ IV... is... a... game... what losers. I was thoroughly entertained by this thread untill you have to go and say ******ed things that are the absolute opposite of amusing. Noone likes you and especially noone likes you when you ruin other peoples good times. Everyone knows this is a game, that is the whole point of this thread to make fun of the quirkiness there-of. if you don't get that then leave the thread, noone wants your negative oppinions.

P.S. sorry for ranting, but that just reminds me of the kind of stuff an annoying big brother would do just to annoy a little brother. it's totally uncool.

Top Bottom