Design: Resources

Kael

Deity
If we are going to spend the time and effort to create a new resource, lets have it fill a new purpose, not be the same as an existiung item with a new name and graphic.

+Ancient Temple
+Banana
+Clam
+Copper
+Corn
+Cow
+Crab
+Deer
+Dye
+Fish
+Fruit of Yggdrasil
+Fur
+Gems
+Gold
+Gunpowder
Hellstones- Only available in Hell
+Horses
+Incense
+Iron
+Ivory
+Marble
+Mithril
Nighmare- Horses only available in Hell
+Pearls- Only available to Seafaring civs (Chalid)
+Pig
+Reagents
+Rice
+Sentry Tower
+Sheep
+Silk
+Stone
+Sugar
+Whale
+Wheat
+Wine

Mana
[tab]Law mana
[tab]Spirit mana
[tab]Creation mana
[tab]Sun mana
[tab]Enchantment mana
[tab]Fire mana
[tab]Life mana
[tab]Force mana
[tab]Metamagic mana
[tab]Nature mana
[tab]Earth mana
[tab]Water mana
[tab]Death mana
[tab]Air mana
[tab]Body mana
[tab]Mind mana
[tab]Entropy mana
[tab]Chaos mana
[tab]Dimensional mana
[tab]Shadow mana

Resource villages? Provide access to monster units or other civ’s exclusive units. These villages may need to be harvested to produce resource-type emigrants that can be settled in a city that will be able to produce the special units.

Opposed mana blocks A block to keep players from being able to have access to both Law and Chaos mana at the same time.

Chalid said:
As someone mentioned in the public thread a special resource that should spawn at seafaring civs lands... Why not add a water resource that is revealed by the seafaring tech?

Thats an interesting idea that I never considered. Only seafaring civs have pearls revealed to them?

Kael said:
Resource villages? Provide access to monster units or other civ’s exclusive units. These villages may need to be harvested to produce resource-type emigrants that can be settled in a city that will be able to produce the special units.

Master of Myrror-ish and personally I love this method of getting unusual units. Hook up a road to some Trolls and voila --- instant badass army. Of course having evil resource villages in a Good alignment civ's borders would have to be bad news for them.

Of course having evil resource villages in a Good alignment civ's borders would have to be bad news for them.

Perhaps the creatures would join civs of the same alignment freely, but civs of a different aligment would have to subvert them, and keep a unit garrisoned at the creature village to ensure their continued loyalty. If the garrisoned unit was removed or killed, all of the creatures of that type would then get a substantial chance per turn of turning barbarian, until a combat unit was at the village once again.

Corlindale said:
Perhaps the creatures would join civs of the same alignment freely, but civs of a different aligment would have to subvert them, and keep a unit garrisoned at the creature village to ensure their continued loyalty. If the garrisoned unit was removed or killed, all of the creatures of that type would then get a substantial chance per turn of turning barbarian, until a combat unit was at the village once again.

I like that alot. It would be cool to take out the garrisoned unit if you were at war so some "allies" would be free to terrorize your enemy's lands.

I have an idea for a new resource, pottery. Found on deserts and plains, it gives +2 sheilds and +1 food with a workshop built on it. Markets give +1 trade route with pottery.

Change it to clay, and it makes sense. :) Pottery is only good for archaeologists.

But it would be good to have another desert available resource if we are going to have a desert based civ.

In reality, clay doesn't form in deserts, or even dry climates for that matter, as it is a water altered mineral, but we don't need to let anyone know that. ;)

Desert-based resource: Melange :D

The resource could be a desert dweller selling pottery. :) I almost said nomad, but how would you have a permanent road leading to him! :crazyeye:

Kael said:

I don't quite see the point of this. IMO the system of having to go find and kill monsters to build them is more interesting.

Lunargent said:
Change it to clay, and it makes sense. :) Pottery is only good for archaeologists.

But it would be good to have another desert available resource if we are going to have a desert based civ.

In reality, clay doesn't form in deserts, or even dry climates for that matter, as it is a water altered mineral, but we don't need to let anyone know that. ;)

Okay then clay. Maybe it would be found extr on flood plains. ;)

loki1232 said:
I don't quite see the point of this. IMO the system of having to go find and kill monsters to build them is more interesting.

I see it as both. A monster resource would automatically have a rooted barbarian monster of that type on it that needs to be defeated. Occasionally the resource my spawn a non-rooted babrbarian monster of that type which would go out wandering.

So the node must be captured, but instead of just granting the node the node is destroyed when captured and the player is given 2-3 monster "emegrants" which can be used to produce buildings that enable the player to build those monsters in those cities.

The reason I want to use the monster emegrants is because I dont want the player to be able to build the monsters everywhere once he takes the node. I want the monsters to be rarer than that. so the player has to choose what cities he wants to be able to build his monster units.

loki1232 said:
I have an idea for a new resource, pottery. Found on deserts and plains, it gives +2 sheilds and +1 food with a workshop built on it. Markets give +1 trade route with pottery.

I need more function than this. Is there something else that clay could be used for?

Remember we are already introducing 24 new resources. So at this point a resource needs a really good reason to be in before it will be added.

I was thinking of pottery as a trade route bonus type resource. Maybe +25% yeild and +1 trade route? Also, it would be a desert resource which is nice for civs which start in deserts. Also, it needs a workshop on it which encourages civs to get the workshop tech.

Have we decided whether it is possible to control both a magic node for one sphere, and a magic node for it's opposite sphere?

loki1232 said:
Have we decided whether it is possible to control both a magic node for one sphere, and a magic node for it's opposite sphere?

Not really, I tend to prefer to leave it open. If a player wants to make his civ full of Life/Death or Entropy/Creation magic more power to him.

We may make a specific restriction based on this around Law/Chaos magic. Thats probably the one that makes the least sense to be together. But even that would probably require more work than its worth (putting checks in to block it during trades, buildings that produce either, etc). I'll add a request for a block on Law/Chaos to the considering list.

Is there any other combos you think should be blocked?

Top Bottom