Koori Dartman

ShiroKobbure

Still modding Civ3
Someone requested this in my last Koori unit thread. I havent game tested it. If you have any problems with it, post it here and I will try to fix it.
In my mod he replaces the archer and upgrades to the Koori Crocodile Warrior by UtahJazz.

Unit:http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/Koori_Dartman.zip
note:KD_dearh.flc should be renamed KD_death.flc

Excellent unit and a nice change from regular units.:goodjob:

Awesome! :) Thank you so much Shiro... :)

It was me who requested this one... I'm ecstatic!

That turned out pretty well, I'd have to say. I like it, and finally the crocodile warrior has some kinsmen to go marauding with. :) Still, there are a couple of tiny things that could maybe be worked on in your next units; they're just meant to help.

1. In the attack animation, the unit leans forward when shooting the dart. It seems to me though, that the hips move back to their orignal position too quickly though. He gradually leans forward while attacking and then too quickly moves back to reload.

2. The death looks a little awkward to me. I think the problem is that based on the feet lifting off the ground and what-not, the unit looks like it should be getting knocked backwards. But, it doesn't. The feet seem to land in the same spot (z-trans, I mean) that they were in during the attack.

3. I was looking at the .flc in quicktime, and I only saw four directions for the KD_defult.flc animation: SW, S, SE, and E. Is that on purpose?

There is a typo, I think. KD_dearh.flc should be renamed KD_death.flc

What Utahjazz is talking about is a problem Shiro. But easily fixed.

I wonder about the Boomerang Unit, if this guy replaces archers, and the Croc Warror replaces Longbowman, what would the Boomerang Thrower replace if your using the standard Civ3 set-up?

I think the Boomerang thrower should replace the warrior, with a ranged attack flag, which should give the Koori somewhat of an edge early on.

TopGun69 said:
I think the Boomerang thrower should replace the warrior, with a ranged attack flag, which should give the Koori somewhat of an edge early on.

That works. But one question: Why would the Koori stop using Boomerangs later? Especially when new materials become availible like iron for example.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
That works. But one question: Why would the Koori stop using Boomerangs later? Especially when new materials become availible like iron for example.

Here's how I usually solve such dilemmas: Make the unit non-upgradeable, this way you'll have a few elite boomerangs running around in later ages. Militarily, the efficiency of boomerangs will most certainly be surpassed by muskets and rifles, so I wouldn't make the boomerang's stats too unrealistically high as to not disrupt gameplay balance.

I dont understand what the problem is.

Also I dont think a boomerang would be more affective than more conventional weapons. I have never seen an image of the koori using boomarangs agianst the british. I have seen them use spears, javelines and wooden stakes.

Thats because, according to Topgun, the Boomerang Thrower replaces the Warrior, and by the time the British had arrived, the Koori had already got access to more powerful units...;)

Topgun probably knows more about Boomerangs and the Koori so I'll leave it to him to figure out if they used them.

ShiroKobbure said:
I dont understand what the problem is.

Also I dont think a boomerang would be more affective than more conventional weapons. I have never seen an image of the koori using boomarangs agianst the british. I have seen them use spears, javelines and wooden stakes.
Wiki says there's little evidence that boomerangs sensu stricto (curved throwing sticks that return to the wielder when thrown correctly) have ever been used as weapons of the hunt, and a use a weapon of war is not even alluded to.

Non-returning throwing sticks or clubs (boomerangs sensu lato) have been used for hunting all over the world, and at least in some places also in battle, but have generally been replaced by bow and arrow when these have been introduced. Probably not coincidentally, Australia is just about the only place were the bow was not known in premodern times.

I think this is a very nice unit. I like the attention to detail with the reloading. If this is the sort of thing you're making so soon after starting unit production, I can't wait to see what you'll be producing in the future!

Top Bottom