asioasioasio

Fallout Scrubber
=========================
POLISH TRIBES v.1.2
=========================

-------------------------
DESCRIPTION
Mod is changing accessible in the game nationalities for 7 main tribes dwelling lands of Poland in VII-X century . You'll find in the game following tribes and leaders:

Ledzianie (Hunting, Agriculture)
Lech (Philosophical, Creative)

Mazowszanie (Hunting, Wheel)
Miecław (Expansive, Organized)

Polanie (Hunting, Agriculture)
Piast (Creative, Organized)
Popiel (Aggressive, Financial)

Pomorzanie (Fishing, Wheel)
Palmatoke (Aggressive, Industrial)

Slezanie (Mining, Mysticism)
Roscislaw (Spiritual, Philosophical)

Wislanie (Mining, Agriculture)
Krak (Financial, Industrial)
Wanda (Spiritual, Expansive)

As additional civilizations you can find 5 other tribes sorrounding polish tribes, played in game by AI:

Czesi (Mysticism, Mining)
Czech (Agresywny, Uduchowiony)

Prusowie (Fishing, Mysticism)
Skomund (Aggressive, Spiritual)

Rusini (Hunting, Agriculture)
Rus (Ekspansywny, Pracowity)

Serobłużyczanie (Wheel, Mining)
Slavko (Kreatywny, Finansowy)

Wieleci (Wheel, Hunting)
Todor (Agresywny, Ekspansywny)

There's added map of Poland with 11 civs
There's no Unique Units
To be released with future version of mod - map of Poland and entries in Civilopedia :)

Some screenshots are in Polish cause they've been made from CIV4 Polonized Version)

And what you can't see in the screens - added music for diplomacy and main screen

INSTALLATION AND PLAY
1. Folder "Plemiona Polskie 1.2" place in /Mods/folder (Not that one in My Games (My Documents))
2. File "PlemionaPolskiePL(Polska_11_Cywilizacji).Civ4WorldBuilderSave" place in folder Sid Meier's Civilization IV/PublicMaps
3. Boot up Civ4, go to Advanced -> Loadmod -> Plemiona Polskie. After restart please choose new map.
4. If you want to play in added scenario - After loading mod choose single player than play a scenario and than choose from the list map PlemionaPolskiePL(Polska_11_Cywilizacji).Civ4WorldBuilderSave.

NOTE: Bigger maps than large are not recommended (11 civilizations to play)

ATTENTION: Mod Requiers Civilization IV Patched to v. 1.61

ATTENTION: It's version recommended for polish and english users only, because it contains other game's font sylfaen.ttf and also replaces french tags in xml.

L'ATTENTION: Mod est dans la langue polonaise (remplace langue française dans le jeu) d'ici les gens employant de la française langue peuvent avoir les problemes. Fait la cour dans ce cas le choix de l'anglaise langue.

HISTORY AND LINKS
VERSION 1.2
-Aktualization of mod to Civilization IV v. 1.61 and versionon of polonization 2.2
-Map added. They are additional tribes on the map: Czesi, Rusini, Wieleci, Serbowie połabscy, but playable by AI.
EXE FILE:
http://ez-files.net/download.php?file=1f719a67
ZIP FILE
http://ez-files.net/download.php?file=8cc5a9f4

VERSION 1,0
http://rapidshare.de/files/14684622/Plemiona_Polskie_1_0.zip.html
Basic version of mod

AUTHORS
- Asioasioasio for creating map, xml edition, 2D graphic
- Kodzi (Inkwizytor) - creating of music and help with fixing Polish letters
- Radio Fabryka http://www.radiotczew.pl/ (particularly for Patryka) and Jobabr - sound for Polish units
- Authors of polonization the game Civilization IV, wich is used in this mod, (Visit http://forums.civ.org.pl/viewtopic.php?TopicID=4922&page=0)
- Thx to C.Roland for making Plain Main Menu wich helped me to make new menu quicker
- Thx for Sirsillis to find correct names for the Prussian cities

CYWILOPEDIA ;)

Taken from
http://www.poloniatoday.com/history1.htm
http://www.insidepoland.pl/htmls/origins.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/lech-czech-and-rus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Prussians

Tribal Settlements
The history of Poland began in the middle of the first millenium when different Slavic tribes came to what would become Polish territory and settled there permanently, in the deltas of two large rivers the Vistula and the Warta. In the early 9th century several tribes existed on Polish territory: Vistulians (Wislanie) at the upper Vistula, Silesian tribes along the upper and middle Odra River, Polians (Polanie) along the Warta, Masovians (Mazowszanie) along the middle Vistula, and Pomeranians between the lower Odra, lower Vistula, Baltic Sea and Notec River. Rivers and their valleys, mountain chains or large forests separated particular tribes. Each tribe built its own grodziska to administer the territories the tribe possessed, defend themselves from the attack from other tribes and better organize their agricultural activities.

The tribes struggled among themselves for territory, cattle and other valuable goods.

Emergence of the Piasts

After some time, two tribes became the most powerful the Polians and Vistulians. They constituted two small "tribal countries." The Vistulian State existed in the second half of the 9th century and was dependent on the Great Moravs. At the beginning of the 10th century, the Vistulian State was conquered by the Czechs. The second state, that of the Polians, in the 10th century was the embryo of what would develop into Poland. This state existed probably from the second half of the 9th century and was ruled, according to Gall Anonim's Chronicle, by the Piast dynasty, whose first three princes were Siemowit, Leszek and Ziemomysl.

Poland's Founder: Mieszko I

The name of Poland comes from the name of the Polanie tribe or people tilling land. That tribe settled down in the Warta River basin, an area which was later called Wielkopolska [Great Poland]. The center of authority was in Gniezno. Archaeological excavations permit an examination of the development of the Gniezno castle and its powerful fortifications, dating back to the 8th century.

Throughout the 10th century, the Polanie and their Piast princes conquered and consolidated their rule over other Lecithic tribes living between the Odra and Bug Rivers, the Baltic coast and the Carpathian Mountains. The Polanie conquered successively the Kujawianie tribe, whose main castle was in Kruszwica, the Mazowszanie tribe and their castle of Plock, the Ledzianie tribe and Sandomierz, and the Pomeranian tribe and their castles of Gdansk and Wolin. Toward the end of the century they seized the Wislanie tribe with their castle of Krakow, as well as the Silesian tribes with Wroclaw, Opole and Legnica.

Mieszko I was the first prince of the Piast dynasty to be mentioned by contemporary historical sources (ca. 960-992). We even know the names of his forefathers from oral tradition. Nonetheless, it is Mieszko I who is recognized as the founder of the Polish state. It was during his time that conquests were completed and the tribes whose languages and cultures showed great affinity were united. The prince reorganized the new territories and united them into a uniform state system. In 966, Mieszko was baptized, thus placing the Polish state in the political system of Central Europe and determining the European and Christian road of development of the Polish state and society

Lech, Czech, and Rus Legend

According to an old legend, Lech, Czech and Rus were eponymous brothers who founded the three Slavic nations:

* Poland (formerly also known as Lechia),
* Bohemia (Čechy – now the major part of the Czech Republic), and
* Ruthenia (Rus', whose successor states are now Russia, Belarus and Ukraine) respectively.

In one of the legend's variations, the three brothers went hunting together but each of them followed a different prey and eventually they all travelled in different directions.

Rus went to the east, Czech headed to the west to settle on the Říp Mountain rising up from the Bohemian hilly countryside, while Lech travelled to the north until he came across a magnificent white eagle guarding her nest. Startled but impressed by this spectacle, he decided to settle there. He named his settlement (gród) Gniezno (early Polish for "nest") and adopted the White Eagle as his coat-of-arms which remains a symbol of Poland to this day.

Other variations of Lech's name include: Lechus, Lachus, Lestus and Leszek.

Czech, or Praotec Čech (Forefather Čech) also comes under the Latin name Bohemus or German Böhm.
Legend versus reality

The earliest mention of Lech, Czech and Rus is found in the Chronicle of Greater Poland written in 1295 in Gniezno or Poznań. In Bohemian chronicles, Czech appears on his own; he is first mentioned as Bohemus in Cosmas's chronicle in early 12th century.

The legend suggests the common ancestry of the Poles, the Czechs and the Ruthenians (or modern-day Russians, Ukrainians and Belarusians) and illustrates the fact that as early as the 13th century, at least three different Slavic peoples were aware of being racially- and linguistically-interrelated, and, indeed, derived from a common root stock.

The legend also attempts to explain the etymology of these people's ethnonyms: Lechia (another name for Poland), the Czech lands (including Bohemia and Moravia), and Rus' (Ruthenia). In fact, the term "Lechia" derives from the tribe of Lędzianie (see: Poland's name). See also: Etymology of Rus and derivatives.

Other Tribes
Lusatian Serbs (Serbołużyczanie)
The Sorbs are a Slavic minority indigenous to the region known as Lusatia in the German states of Saxony and Brandenburg (in former GDR territory). They are or were also known as Lusatians, Wends Lusatian Serbs or Serbs of Luzice. Historically, the Sorbs are the last remainder of the once-mighty Polabian Slavic peoples living in most of what is now eastern Germany until the high Middle Ages. The Sorbs arrived in the area now known as Lusatia during the 5th century A.D. In the years since then, the Sorbs have often fallen under foreign rule. While they have predominately been under German control, they were under Polish occupation in the 11th century and under Bohemian rule from the mid 14th century until the Peace of Prague in 1635 . Most Slavs in the area were Germanised or driven away during the German Drang nach Osten of the 12th and 13th centuries. The Sorbs have been a much-persecuted group of western Slavs, especially in Nazi Germany, which viewed Slavs as a people designed to be slaves for the Aryan race.

Prussians (Prusowie)
The Old Prussians or Baltic Prussians (German: Pruzzen or Prußen; Latin: Pruteni; Lithuanian: Prūsai; Polish: Prusowie) were an ethnic group consisting of medieval Baltic tribes inhabiting the lands of the southeastern Baltic Sea, roughly around the Vistula and Curonian Lagoons. During the 13th century the Old Prussians were conquered by the proselytizing crusaders of the Teutonic Knights and gradually Germanized and Polonized over the following centuries. The former state of Prussia took its name from the Baltic Prussians, although that state was led by Germans, not by the extinct Old Prussians.

Veleti (Wieleci)
The Veleti are a group of the Polabian Slavs. They lived north to lusatian serbs

Interesting idea! I would like to try this mod on Poland map. ;)

I know just enough Polish histroy to appreciate this. Nice idea!

All though, the thought of any one Polish tribe founding the holy city of Hinduism is just too bizzare. o_o

QuoVadisNation said:
I know just enough Polish histroy to appreciate this. Nice idea!

All though, the thought of any one Polish tribe founding the holy city of Hinduism is just too bizzare. o_o

lol i have the same feeling playing for the first time CIV4. I played Asoka and what he discovered first was.... Judaism :crazyeye:

I'll do my best to change this situation in future versions, some new religions (probably also techs), maybe even units and buildings. Of course help with 3D Modelling would be appreciated :)

NeverMind -> Map should be fnished this week :)

Thx for your interesting :)

Very cool idea. A friend of mine made a map of Albania for me to concentrate on an Albanian tribes scenario. It seems this is a similar idea, although I don't know much Polish history to appreciate it enough.

Is it possible for you to give a short description of the time period and what was going on between these Polish tribes to give us a feel of the setting?

Enjoy the new version of mod
Map of Poland added
and 4 new civilizations - see first post :)

@ Spekkio I'm glad you like it :) I hope you'll also enjoy new version of mod :)

@Shqype
Is it possible for you to give a short description of the time period and what was going on between these Polish tribes to give us a feel of the setting?
Yes of course - I've added short description in the second post of this thread :) :goodjob:

this mod is quite interesting, i'm downloading it and testing this thing out.... i will give you suggestions on what need to be improved.

Edit: I have played a little bit in your mod and i got to say, your quite impressive. I have not heared any ambient sounds in any other mods except yours, not only that but the intro song is quite good. Here is a list of the things that i suggest you put in.

-Custom Technology Tree: I want to learn and discovered what technology they the polish tribes researched in ancient polish history. I suggest you make a big list of new technology from ancient to modern technology that the polish tribes researched.

-Custom Music: The Intro song is good, but all the civilizations have the samn song and it's getting annoying to hear it all the time. So I suggest that you put in ancient polish tribe music in every civilization. I also want to hear some ancient, classical, medieval, and other age music that been written and played in the polish history to make this mod more unique.

-Custom Units: You have not yet adding Unique Units to every civilization, so why not add some unique Units in and also some non-unique unique units in as well, to make this mod very interesting.

I love the idea!!!:goodjob:

I am from Poland (Gdańsk at the moment) and I was fighting with the idea of making a story/scenario for polish history but more like a report from a SG. The main idea is to show polish history and serve it to the Players in a way They are accustomed with ;)
I was thinking about a game beginning in 1000AD, 3-6 polish cities, early medieval techs, with Christianity in one city (Gniezno) spreading. No modding, just a new leader, civ and the UU maybe (cavalry or huzar not decided yet).

I have not began the project yet. What I am planning to start with is to adjust the map to fit most important cities and resources.

My knowledge of history is not proffesional so I would need some support or I can hijack this thread a bit for a discussion:
- the leader - Sobieski maybe? - he was among the best and is very recognizeable(!!)
- the UU - huzar is a bit exploited, ...maybe the cavalry: the one from Saragossa or the one fighting the Sept. '39 (they actually did very well against Wehrmaht comparing to the other defending countries, worst thing is that they could not be succesful because outdated). Huzars and Cavalry are the 'high class' units, but in Poland there were also 'low class' unit: "pospolite ruszenie" consisting of noble men...
- civ traits - I'm confident on Spiritual, but not sure about the 2nd...

ok, it has been too long already, time to try the mod

PS: I will not agree with some of darkedone02's points.

darkedone02 said:
-Custom Technology Tree: (...)

-Custom Units: (...)

Do not make the game too diffrent from original Civ. For Players as myself it will be little interesting, but it will put me in the situation when I need to learn all the mechanics from the beginning - I don't have time for this, I don't want to do this. I have seen RPG mod but I declined when saw multiple tech paths and promotion paths... bah! Keep it accessible to all Players not only the ones that will learn new rules.
Keeping the balance is another issue not only with techs - especially with units.

darkedone02 said:
I want to learn and discovered what technology they the polish tribes researched in ancient polish history. I suggest you make a big list of new technology from ancient to modern technology that the polish tribes researched.

Don't know what polish tribes were working at (no written evidence), but maybe this will be interesting:

wikipedia-> pertoleum-> history said:
The modern history of petroleum began in 1846, with the discovery of the process of refining kerosene from coal by Atlantic Canada's Abraham Pineo Gesner. Poland's Ignacy Łukasiewicz discovered a means of refining kerosene from the more readily available "rock oil" ("petr-oleum") in 1852 and the first rock oil mine was built in Bóbrka, near Krosno in southern Poland in the following year. These discoveries rapidly spread around the world, and Meerzoeff built the first Russian refinery in the mature oil fields at Baku in 1861. At that time Baku produced about 90% of the world's oil. The battle of Stalingrad was fought over Baku (now the capital of the Azerbaijan Republic).

The first modern oil well was drilled in 1848 by Russian engineer F.N. Semyonov, on the Aspheron Peninsula north-east of Baku.The first commercial oil well drilled in North America was in Oil Springs, Ontario, Canada in 1858, dug by James Miller Williams.

Additionally Łukasiewicz very succesful businessman and was the first to build
kerosene lamp (1853),
first oil well (1854)
first oil refinery (1856).
As U can see those were BEFORE they were built in US :) eventhough there was no Poland on the Europe's map then.

How about the Winged Hussars as UUs?

Attachments

• Winged Hussars.jpg
    Winged Hussars.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 349
darkedone02 said:
I have played a little bit in your mod and i got to say, your quite impressive. I have not heared any ambient sounds in any other mods except yours, not only that but the intro song is quite good. Here is a list of the things that i suggest you put in.

Thx to my friend kodzi for the music

darkedone02 said:
-Custom Music:...

There's music for ancient medieval and modern but as you point it's the same track for all civs :)
it would be good to change it - but here's problem my friend is working now with me on WW2 mod - very ambitious one (completly new tech tree, new civics, many unique units, new promotions, music, improvments and so on) so it takes all the free time since begining of june. We lack people to work on it, but slowly we have more and more things. It would be impossible to convience him now to make music for polish tribes mod :) but maybe in future

darkedone02 said:
Custom Units:.....

Yes thei're next on to do list, after i'll get warlords and much more time i'll start working on unique units :)

darkedone02 said:
-Custom Technology Tree:.....

It's hard to say what techs are typical for polish tribes and than for poland :)
They were in roman culture zone so the techs are typical for europe and very similliar to techs in civ. It would be realy hard to make something completly new

I think i'm gonna change only religions cause finding hinduism is a little bit weird :)

mihau said:
I love the idea!!!:goodjob:
I am from Poland (Gdańsk at the moment) and I was fighting with the idea of making a story/scenario for polish history but more like a report from a SG. The main idea is to show polish history and serve it to the Players in a way They are accustomed with ;)

Greetz and thx :)
Maybe you should try use this mod as a basic for the scenario :)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=144016
but here's a newer version
http://www.civ.org.pl/downloads.php?action=dlfile&type=Civ4&fileid=613
http://forums.civ.org.pl/viewtopic.php?TopicID=4592&page=0

I would be great to make some scenarios for polish mod :)
about UU not only hussars, polish cavalry, but also armies of heroic farmers with scythes (don't laugh the made real trouble for invading well armed russian forces:) from kosciuszko's (the same who helped usa get independence) insurection and couple more units (pzl 11c - very good polish fighter, much better in comparison with nazi aircraft, but poland have them to few to win this war)

but i think winged hussars is the most recognized polish unit

Broken Hawk said:
Any thoughts about adding the Teutonic Knights and the Tartars?

Very good Idea :)
I'll add them, not sure if in basic version of mod but probably in scenarios :)

Broken Hawk said:
Yes ofcurse a must hae UU - PSYX (in gfx forum) made model so would be sin not to use it

Greetz to all :)

Broken Hawk said:

I am a bit bored with Hussars.
I came up with the idea here because I wanted some suggestions.

I was expecting Kościuszko's "sicklemen" and I was expecting "noble's draf". As Asioasioasio said sickleman had been their moment but
These 2 seem to me to have bigger potential then exploited
Knight --> Hussar
which do not match their times (knights were earlier than Hussars)

"sickleman" could replace rifleman/grenadier as he did in polish history

"noble's draft" is more difficult, but it is my favourite: our "noble's draft" conquered Moscow(!). The "unit" was present during XIV-XVIII cent. It could possibly replace Maceman or Crossbowman. This unit sholud be cheap and weak. I would consider giving it a collateral damage. Or to make it more realistic variable strenght ... :p

@Asioasioasio: as U said U R makin WW2 scenario. What is Your opinion on polish cavalry during the Sept. '39 ???

Still did not decided on the 2nd civ trait ;)

:)

Polish cavalry was quite good but it was to obsolete in comparison with tanks and blitzkrieg tactics. But it was few moments when cavalry was real treat for german forces

I like the idea of Noble's Draft :)
also sickleman - very cheap unit with lower strenght but could be produced in big numbers

If you're going to use Sobieski - make second trate Aggressive

I have recently seen some opinions that polish cav. was one of the most succesive units for defending from german early tanks and early mech. infantry - comparing to other units taking part in defensive war against Germany (infantry mostly).
It was the only unit that could stand up with its mobility. It could strike and retreat fast.
Additionally: tales about cav. charging tanks was only soviet propaganda, aimed to give the impression of our suicidal, but useless effort. In fact polish tactic was smart: using forests where cavalry was more mobile than mech. inf. & tanks. Attack the marching troops and retreat. Everything was aimed not at winning the fight, but at slowering down the pace of attack and waiting for allies to attack Germany from the W.

According to the information given german troops were moving SLOWER (km/day) in Poland than in France or other countries Germany attacked.
Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to back or deny the information, but I hope U can give it some focus and it will help.

Broken Hawk said:
What is the time frame for the MOD? Do you plan to go as far as WWII?
Of WWII Mod?
It's 1936 - 1952
But main scenario we're working on begins in 1939 :)
The mod will be only for WW2 but some techs are typical for cold war - instead future technology no 23 you can reasearch for example fusion bomb

here's thread but in polish
http://forums.civ.org.pl/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5304&page=0
in few days i'll create thread on fanatics
I'll let you know the link

mihau said:
I have recently seen some opinions that polish cav. was one of the most succesive units for defending from german early tanks and early mech. infantry - comparing to other units taking part in defensive war against Germany (infantry mostly).
It was the only unit that could stand up with its mobility. It could strike and retreat fast. Additionally: tales about cav. charging tanks was only soviet propaganda, aimed to give the impression of our suicidal, but useless effort. In fact polish tactic was smart: using forests where cavalry was more mobile than mech. inf. & tanks. Attack the marching troops and retreat.
Yep i know this
I red about battle (i don't remember place - it's somewhere in books:)) in wich polish cavalry surprised german units and make them a lot of trouble's
But it doesnt change fact that poland was to weak to stop german aggression.

Blitzkrieg tactics was to genious - long fights in trenches was replaced with quick and surprising attacks using mobility of tanks and aircraft

Top Bottom