New Civ: Dorian Greece

Aranor

Emperor
Dorian Greece Civ Now For WARLORDS 2.08

Hey guys!! For about 3 months now I've been tinkering with this civ on and off. It makes a nice alternative to the Greek civ in vanilla Civ IV

Civilization: Dorian Greek Kingdom
Noun: Dorian Greece
Adjective: Dorian
Colour: Orange
Starts with: Hunting and Fishing
Unique Units:

Doric Swordsman- Replaces Swordsman
Cost: 45 hammers
Strength: 7
with 25% city attack

Spartan Hoplite- Replaces Spearman
Cost: 50 hammers
Strength: 6
with 1 first strike

Leaders:

Aigimios:
Spiritual
Organised
Favorite civic: Hereditary rule

Leonidas I:
Aggressive
Spiritual
Favorite civic: Police State

Cities:
Doris
Sparta
Lyttus
Messene
Leukas
Ambrakia
Lamia
Trachis
Thera
Melos
Salamis
Thessalonica
Sikyon
Maethone
Prasiai
Limera
Epiduaros
Gytheion

UB: Dorian Barracks
+25% military production.
the old
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
the new

The Rest

the file
Dorian Greece

[BtS Modular] Dorian Greece

Thanks to Rabbit, White for the magnificent new models that I have used for the UUs. And finally a special thanks to Shqype who has been involved with helping me with some research testing, problem solving, a sounding board and just about anything else that you can think of that anyone can help with :goodjob: with out your help I probably would not have got off my butt and done this Thanks man!! :D

In this update for warlords I have said goodbye to the Spartan Hoplite to bring the UU count back to 1 and inline with my other civs for a future project ;) Also included is new artwork for Leonidas (Fully animated leaderhead) and a whole new look for the Dorian Swordsman. Hope you all like it. Unfortunately the link to the original civ has been broken for sometime, and I do not plan to post it again, sorry :blush: But enjoy this civ in all its glory as is!

UPDATE: Now updated for BtS in modular format.
To run any of my modular files, you need to go into your BtS config file (My Docs/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Civ4Config.ini IIRC), and change
ModularLoading = 0
to
ModularLoading = 1
then install the file into your Beyond the Sword mods directory. The file is set up to run immediately so you dont need to create any folders. Then start up your game, go to advanced, then load a mod and select your mod. And it should work.

Attachments

• doric50000.JPG
    doric50000.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,060
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,275
What a wonderful world...:)

Not bad my friend, not bad at all!

I really like this civ. The Dorians have some pretty powerful UUs, and they look good too!

Thanks for mention too :) We both helped each other out, after all, my gorgeous skins for the Illyrian Kambsor come from you, do they not? ;) I'm glad you finally released this civilization :)

PS - Can you use the Flying Camera Mode to take some more nice screenshots in-game? :D

Did anyone think of Spartans?

Tunch Khan said:
Did anyone think of Spartans?

When the Dorians invaded from the north of Greece (Macedonia or Illyria no one is really sure exactly from where)
They conquered much of the greek lands including Laconia (Sparta for all us uneducated types :p ) After the greek dark age Lycurgus remade the Spartan army in the tradion or Doric crete whom they were related to. I thought that it would be a major oversight to omit the Spartan infulence on Greece and the rest of the world and most importantly the influence that the Dorian invaders from the north had on Sparta and other cities on crete and all over the Greek world, However I have tried to focus my city list to those on the Greek mainland.:D

I had once heard of a theory connecting Dorian invaders (considered barbarians by Ionians and Achaians) to an Aryan race, possibly a Germanic tribe, but can't confirm the validity and you know how different theories try to forcibly link certain nations to eachother for various nationalistic theories depending on where it originates.

But there's a bunch of evidence about their racial descriptions on multiple written records stating they were taller, blond and had blue eyes, compared to original inhabitants of the region.

Some of these thories have certain backing, while some are completely fictional.

Trojans -> Romans -> Italians
Slavs + Thracians = Bulgarians
Macedons -> Macedonians
Egyptians -> Aztec
Hittites -> Turks
Babylonians -> Iraqis
Saxons -> English

GReat Civ

Will be downloading it now

I'll wager that egyptians -> Aztec is quite fictional. Reminds me of some claim in the mormon bible though.

Tunch Khan said:
I had once heard of a theory connecting Dorian invaders (considered barbarians by Ionians and Achaians) to an Aryan race, possibly a Germanic tribe, but can't confirm the validity and you know how different theories try to forcibly link certain nations to eachother for various nationalistic theories depending on where it originates.

But there's a bunch of evidence about their racial descriptions on multiple written records stating they were taller, blond and had blue eyes, compared to original inhabitants of the region.

Some of these thories have certain backing, while some are completely fictional.

Trojans -> Romans -> Italians
Slavs + Thracians = Bulgarians
Macedons -> Macedonians
Egyptians -> Aztec
Hittites -> Turks
Babylonians -> Iraqis
Saxons -> English

Yes I read alot of information claiming the Dorians were
1: makednoi tribe members (Macedonians)
2: Illyrian, although I did not find as much of this as I was expecting :confused:
3: That they just didnt exist entirely, this I found extremely hard to beleive as their impact on the Mycenaean Greece was to profound, their invasion being part of the downfall of the civilisation and the subsequent dark age.

This is part of the reason why it has taken me so long to release this civ, I really wanted to have been able to show 3 aspects of the Dorians. The first being preinvasion, of which there is very little existing evidence today. The second, the mythical Dorians, ie: Aigimios and his sons. The third and final aspect the people we now know as Dorian Greeks, this is primarily represented in my city list. ;) Much of the sifting through various articles and websites that I have found forced me to make my own judgements as to where they came from.To be honest I'm still open as to where they orginated from I guess its one of those things that we will never truely know. :sad:

Cafegio said:
GReat Civ

Will be downloading it now

Thanks Cafegio! :D I'd like to hear what people think of the civ ingame, any comments or critisms are welcome this way I can improve on it for future updates! ;)

It is interesting that the fabled leaders that led the Dorian invasion of Mycenaean Greece supposedly had Illyrian names (Aigimos = Agim, Hylleis = Hylli/Ylli, Dymanes => Dymale).

Shqype said:
It is interesting that the fabled leaders that led the Dorian invasion of Mycenaean Greece supposedly had Illyrian names (Aigimos = Agim, Hylleis = Hylli/Ylli, Dymanes => Dymale).

True but how eften did those names also appear in Macedonian peoples to??

Ancient Macedonians are believed to have had Illyrian roots.

Shqype said:
Ancient Macedonians are believed to have had Illyrian roots.

Does that mean those names were common amongst Macedonian men?? or only Illyrian, to be honest I never really looked at the commonalities between the two peoples names.:mischief:

Nope, not that I know of. It is possible that the ancient Macedonians were Illyrians mixed with Thracians. In any case, they adopted Greek cultural characteristics. Even Alexander the Great, with Illyrian parents, spread Greek culture during his world conquest.

Yea, the Greeks had alot of influence during this time period. Which is sad because there are many other culture that just get eclipsed by them, ie the Macedonian culture before it Helenisation.

Or the culture of the southern-most Illyrians (Epirots), which the Greeks borrowed from in the first place.

Shqype said:
Nope, not that I know of. It is possible that the ancient Macedonians were Illyrians mixed with Thracians. In any case, they adopted Greek cultural characteristics. Even Alexander the Great, with Illyrian parents, spread Greek culture during his world conquest.

I have read that Illyrians, Macedonians and Thracians are considered to be different nations.
Alexander’s parents were Phillip the II from Macedon and Olympias from Epirus. Phillip and Alexander have fought and finally conquered the Illyrians and the Thracians.

Sparta, although often synonymous to the Dorian culture, was not founded by Dorians but was invaded by them and was ruled by them (they formed the higher caste).

An interesting mod would be one including all the Greek tribes (even though they do not overlap historically).

Good job for all of you who create mods!!!

The Illyrians joined Alexander on his conquest of the world and made up a significant portion of his army. Both of his parents had Illyrian blood.

Sir Alan Woodthorpe, who wrote the most definitive book on Alexander the Great, even states this in the opening paragraph of his book.

Don't forget the Greeks called the inhabitants of Epirus "barbarians," aka non-Greek. Why? Because they were Illyrians ;)

Top Bottom