Excel file for editing civ4 xml files

talchas

Prince
This is a MS excel file that can be adapted to edit just about any Civ4 xml file. Currently it has the ability to edit units and promotions. Each unit/promotion is one column, and each property is a row. You can both import and export data to and from the xml files.

Before exporting, change cell B1 in whichever sheet you are editing to point to where you want to save the xml file. If you import an xml file, the script will automatically change this to wherever you imported the file from.

You can use the buttons on the left to show and hide groups of items.

When you open the file, excel will probably ask you whether to enable or disable macros. If you disable macros you won't be able to import or export data.

Thanks to Kael for giving me the idea to write this, and the makers of homeworld 2 for giving me the idea to make it based on a series of commands.

EDIT:
Added sheets for unitclasses and techs. Fixed the problem with the civilopedia in the promotion sheet, it is now disabled by default.

Attachments

• Civ4-talchas.zip
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,651
I forgot to mention that this creates xml files that are usable with my Civilopedia Promotion Info mod, and regular Civ4 will complain if you use this. If you don't want to use my mod, delete the Civilopedia row (row 10) from the xls file and it won't add that tag.

I've added unitclasses and techs to this now and fixed the promotion problem. What would you people like next?

talchas said:
I've added unitclasses and techs to this now and fixed the promotion problem. What would you people like next?

could you do some bottons for all the dif air units there are as were stuck with the old ones:goodjob:

What do you mean? Are you asking me to make buttons? Because if you are, you wouldn't like the results. I can't draw worth beans.

talchas said:
What do you mean? Are you asking me to make buttons? Because if you are, you wouldn't like the results. I can't draw worth beans.

lol I'm the same. oh well do you know how to start a mod i'm new to this and all i've picked up so far is xml :sad:

Wow, quite impressive talchas. It makes me wish I had Excel at home now...

I think so. Make sure you reimport all the files though if you want the latest changes and don't have any data in the file you would lose.

This looks to be a great app, thanks for the hard work in putting it together. The thing is... I only need it to work on the tech tree of a mod, but the tab for techs gives me an error message when I click on the "Import Tech Data" button. I have changed cell B1 to the correct civ4techinfos.xml file. Anyway, when I press the "import tech data" button... or the Export button for that matter, I get an error msg in Excel that says "FFH-talchas.xls could not be found". What have I done wrong?

Secondly, will this thing work then with new and different techs?

About the error - not your fault, the xls is adapted from something I did for FFH, and stupid excel must have made it refer to the FFH xls file when I copied it over. Since I only tested when the FFH xls was in the same folder, I never saw it.

It will work with new techs as long as they follow the same layout. However, it overwrites the old xml file, so import before doing any changes. I'll put out a new, fixed version soon.

Thanks, that would be great. We really appreciate your hard work on this.

Fixed .

Top Bottom