Bad People Mod -- adds prostitutes, druglords, and mafia.

RogerBacon

King
Bad People mod
Ver. 1.0
3/25/2006

concept, Python, and XML by Roger Bacon
artwork by Heroes182

File: http://files.filefront.com/Bad_People_Modzip/;4913756;;/fileinfo.html
screenshots: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=164492

This mod adds three new units to the game: prostitutes, druglords, and mafia.

These bad people are produced like any other unit and move to enemy cities where they try to establish criminal organizations (prostitution rings, drug trafficing, or organized crime rings). These crime groups then drain the city's resources: food, production, culture, or science. The only way to get rid of these criminal elements is to hang them by building a new building "gallows".

The gallows has a 10% chance of killing off each bad person in a city each turn. However, certain civics and technologies will chance this chance. For example, police state makes it more likely to kill off bad people and discovering liberalism makes it less likely.

Enjoy!

Roger Bacon

Haha this is hilarious (in a good way). Maybe you could add a few new resources (drugs) that are put on the map when it's generated, and you could build marijuana farms and the like if you wanted your civ to be into that sort of thing. Maybe you could then sell the drugs to other civs for gold.

Another suggestion is that building a jail would further increase the chance of killing of the bad person.

Nice job!

Rabbit_Alex said:
Haha this is hilarious (in a good way). Maybe you could add a few new resources (drugs) that are put on the map when it's generated, and you could build marijuana farms and the like if you wanted your civ to be into that sort of thing. Maybe you could then sell the drugs to other civs for gold.

Another suggestion is that building a jail would further increase the chance of killing of the bad person.

Nice job!

Yes, this would be sweet!! Marijuana farms would be hilarious, although, what there bonuses would be I'm not sure (happiness and unhealthiness?). But fun mod, by the way. Awesome.

What about having court houses increase the chance to get rid of these criminal elements.

This is a good idea and touches on a concept rarely seen in civ, that being non-militaristic combat. Any of you remember that so-so version of civ put out by Activision called "Test of Time." I didnt like it but it added one unique element that is more realistic of how battles are fought today than any of the civ series has done so far, that being legal and corporate battles. I think today most of the big rivalries that involve takeovers, conquest and battles aren't done on the battlefield but in the business world and in court rooms. In Test of Time they had lawyers and corporate franchise units that could do cool things like what your mod here is doing. The franchise unit could setup a corporate franchise in an enemy city draining it of resources like yours does, then the lawyers were used as defense to file injunctions and stop them.

It would be cool to see this touched on more in civ since it seems like today a corporation with good lawyers and connections in the media can exert just as much influence as legions of troops or tanks.

I will try out your mod for sure!

TheLopez said:
What about having court houses increase the chance to get rid of these criminal elements.

But then I couldn't add "Lawyers" as the next type of bad people in version 1.1 ;) Seriously though, courthouses probably would have been a better choice than the gallows but I like the imagry of dealing with criminals the old fashioned way.

Naf4Ever said:
This is a good idea and touches on a concept rarely seen in civ, that being non-militaristic combat.

Yes, I wanted to add non-combat options. I started that with my assassin mod and this follows in the same tradition.

Roger Bacon

Another idea is to have the dealers/mafia/prostitutes send money back to you once they set up business in a foreign city.

You could also have more advanced civics be opposed to the death penalty. This would create a neat challenge of trying to deal with the criminal element while also keeping the people happy. It would be kind of like war weariness for the criminal element that you added.

I don't like the marijuana resource that much. Coca and opium that can be refined into cocain and heroin would be much better for the criminal element you have added. Making money could require using a drug trafficker unit to smuggle the new resources into rival cities where it can be sold. The further the distance and the more "law enforcement" challenges that are present in the target city the higher the price for a successful sale. Drug muels would be kind of like caravans in the older civ games only rival civs would try to get rid of them. They shold have a stealth element to make them difficult to detect.

Fields upon fields of poppy plants...

Could you make it so that drug lords can 'work' a tile and add marijuana or poppies as a resource to it?

Seems to make the most sense to me.

Los Tirano said:
Fields upon fields of poppy plants...

Could you make it so that drug lords can 'work' a tile and add marijuana or poppies as a resource to it?

Seems to make the most sense to me.

they give gold in exchange for happieness and health. :smug:

Yeah, sounds good.
The mafia are so fun to use on my enemies. Keeps them poor, keeps them weak. Next game im taking the Roman empire renaming it the 'sicilian mafia' and calling myself 'the Don'. Maybe edit the map to start on a small island. Capital... Palermo.

"I don't like violence, Tom. I'm a businessman. Blood is a big expense."
Sollozzo to Tom

Roger Bacon, i like your work.

Gang,

This is too fun!

Imagine all the Leaders you can make up.

Instead of cottages, you have Meth Labs...Oh man...I told my family about gearing up to MP this baby when it is done.

lol

John:crazyeye:

Rabbit_Alex said:
Another idea is to have the dealers/mafia/prostitutes send money back to you once they set up business in a foreign city.

Well, once a bad person is merged with a city the game loses track of who put him there, but I can get around that using the dataStorage class.

Actually, I plan to add illegal immigrants in the future (maybe a month or so). They will give +1 hammer (or maybe +0.5 if I can find a nice way to do that), -2 cuture, and send 1 gold back to the culture they came from.

[QUOTE='Don' Tirano]
The mafia are so fun to use on my enemies. Keeps them poor, keeps them weak. Next game im taking the Roman empire renaming it the 'sicilian mafia' and calling myself 'the Don'. Maybe edit the map to start on a small island. Capital... Palermo.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. Be sure to use the occasional assassin. You can rename them 'hit men' in the text easily enough.

Roger Bacon

Great idea. There aren't enough "cold war" options. The fact that you can't instigate a war without the other side knowing is ridiculous.

I've got an idea. How about having the mafia or crime syndicate be a religion of sorts? I think that you should be able to get a great person, a mob boss, perhaps, and establish a crime capital (a holy shrine). Then, you should be able to build mobsters or dons orsomething like that, be able to send them to other player's cities, and then be able to 1) see that city and it's units and 2) get a gold or two every turn.

THis could be done by smiply creating a new religion tech called "Mafia" or "Crime Syndicate", which would allow you to build the missionaries, or in this case, gangsters, adn when you get a great prophet (Al Capone, perhaps?) you could build a mob capital. Then, you could start getting money from your ogranized crime ring. This profit shoudl be able to be boosted by drugs, smuggling immigrants into the country, and other things.

I really like the idea of this mod, because in the vanilla game, there is so little you can do to hurt your opponent, short of full out war.

Dont know if you could do this or not, but, what about in the early part of the game have a Frank & Jesse James, robbing the railroads and banks, these wer bad guys, or is this mod going in a different direction? and if so what kind of direction?:)

Top Bottom