Ultimate Scenario for WWIII

killerorange_27

Chieftain
I have wanted a WWIII scenario for a long time for Civ4, but I don't have the skill or time to create a mod. If you are talented with mod creation, I encourage you to join the project to make this scenario, the scheme for which I have scripted out below.

The Ultimate WWIII scenario:
The players:

Warsaw Pact Nations:
Soviet Union
Albania
Bulgaria
Czechoslovakia
German Democratic Republic (East Germany)
HUngary
Poland
Romania

NATO Nations:
Belgium
Canada
France
Iceland
Netherlands
Norway
United Kingdom
United States
West Germany

(*Note - This is basicly the same scenario used by Tom Clancy in "Red Storm Rising"

March, 1989
The wall has not come down. The Soviet Union has recently completed its largest petrol-chemical plant, which produces close to 40% of the nation's oil. A terrorist faction destroys the Soviet Union's refinery, which leaves the nation desperately short of oil. The Politburo's only solution to the oil problem is to invade the oilfields of the Persian Gulf. Before they can do that they must neutralize NATO's forces in Europe. Although the USSR has a short supply of oil, they have the element of surprise; the NATO forces have not mobilized until after the initial Soviet invasion into West Germany. The Soviet's have also taken Iceland, with which they disrupt the GIUK SOSUS line, which would have denied the Soviet's effective naval operations in the Atlantlic. Although both sides have a nuclear arsenal, the implications of nuclear warfare - strategic and tactical - deters both sides from using them (as should be the case in the scenario, although their use is not entirely out of the question).

So in this map the USSR should control Iceland and the US should have forces in West Germany, but not enough to stop a full on invasion (More troops must be transported), The USSR should have a limited oil supply (oil should be available in the Persian Gulf).

Units:
should include units for both sides used in the Cold War (can be found in most Civ Cold War scenarios).
Airborne Examples:
Chemical weapons
Biological Weapons
AEGIS cruiser
ICBM (conventional)
AWACS aircraft
Tu-16 Badger
Tu-22M Backfire (nuclear/conventional payload
B-52 Stratofortress (nuclear/conventional payload)
F-4
E-3 Sentry (AWACS)
B-1 Lancer
MiG 29
etc.

I am trying to get a team together to work on this project, and we need anyone with python, xml, or unit graphics skills (I'm not good at either). If you are interested, I would like to know about it, and you can go ahead and start whenever, you don't need permission from me (although I would like some credit for the idea).

Count me in. I might help with python once in a while if I have some spare time. Its quite unlikely though as I am working on the WFB mod and on my own mod.

Olleus, and anyone else interested in working on this project send me an email at killerorange_27@hotmail.com.

And it should sound like a book -- I said above that it is based on "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy. I think that it is one of the most realistic WWIII scenarios.

ussr without oil? - weird
but it could be great pleasure to play it :) good luck

Well, not totally without oil, just with a very limited supply

The Omega said:
This sounds alot like a book I read....:hmm:
he said himself it was from a book.
why not just do it in worldbuilder, and give people the wb save?

I want to make it very realistic, with specific units and already owned territories (USSR in Iceland - possibly -, East and West Germany. etc.). Anyway thanks for all the positive feedback and keep posting further ideas. And thanks to everybody who is excited to work on this project. I would like to set up a team and plan this thing out. If you want to help send me an email at killerorange_27@hotmail.com. Now I will begin some very in depth, tedious research :)

Olleus, Loki, GarretSidzaka, and anybody else who wants to do this one send me and email, tell me how you can help, and I'll send you details as I get them. Thanks for the enthusiasm.

killerorange_27@hotmail.com

Like the sig? its new

Gunner said:
What type of map were you thinking about for this one? Obviously a world map would be nice, but it would really lack the detail needed in Europe. Something to think about.

Worldmap isn't necessary i think it could be map of europe and north america (ofcourse with atlantic - with cutted 1-2 fields to make map smalller)

Gunner is right, it would be nice to have a full world map, but it would lack a lot of the detail in central Europe. I think the map should have an eastern border a third of the way into Russia, a southern border just below the Arabian peninsula, a western border at the Mississippi River region, and a northern border above Iceland. I would suggest moving Iceland down a bit and making the Atlantic a little less wide (but then again, the Atlantic could be a key battleground). We need to focus the map on Europe, but still have an America. I don't think we need an entire world map for this. Hmmmm......

You might want to download the classic, and I mean classic, game of Red Lightning. Should be available on a freeware site, but it is ancient. Like 1982 or something.

Still one of the best wargames I ever played. It has almost the idenitcal scenario and has a map of Western Europe and Eastern Europe you could mirror. Also the text file contains the order of battle for the both sides...

It may not work on XP though...

i think that europe would be an excellent battleground for this one. we could center the map right on the foulda gap in germany. that was where the red tide would have broken. i was in the us army for a while near there, and it was said amongst troops that their life span in the foulda gap was about 7 seconds, should war have ever started! :evil:

Okay I think that we can rule out a whole world map for this one. I'm thinking that we just center it on Europe and western Russia. We need to have some ocean not only the North Sea, but also some open waters north of Russia (the Kola Peninsula - mostly surrounded by water obviously - was the main naval base for the Soviets). There should be 4 components to the warfare: Land, Sea, Air, and, if desired, Nuclear (go wild). The land component takes place mostly on the front in Germany (to start), but also can move as the game progresses. The air part consists of 3 subtypes: Close air support, long range bombing (including naval targets), and conventional cruise missiles. The sea component should consist of groups of ships, called "Carrier Groups", which consist of a Carrier to conduct air operations with offshore departures, ASW ships (i.e. Destroyers, Frigates), Amphibious Assault Ships (transports for marines), and Submarines. And the Nuclear component, well... kaboom!!!

I am beginning work on the tech tree so any ideas for that would be great

Those are the catagories that I am making so I can list the units for each, in case you were wondering. I don't want this to be a land only battle. I'm also going to make technologies for each sector and subsector. BTW, is there a way to have each individual unit named differently, say if I wanted to be able to name one carrier Nimitz and another Abraham Lincoln?

Top Bottom