Mystical Asia - Development Thread

Civmansam

King
Now I know that I'm working on the Star Wars Mod but I just wanted to get some discussions on this. For anyone who likes the Star Wars Mod I'm not going to work on this until I get up to atleast 0.7 or 0.8.

This mod is a mythological and medieval mod mostly based in Asia. It will contain Djinn's, Magic Lamps, Arabian robbers, Chinese Dragons, Indian Monks and elephants, King Arthur and tons more

The Civilizations:

Spoiler :
The Mystic Civs:

China: The Emperor
UU: Cho Ku Nu - Crossbowman, Chinese Dragon - (Don't Know), Hero.

India: The Raja
UU: Fast Worker - Worker, Indian War Elephant - (War Elephant), Arjuna

Japan: The Shogun
UU: Samurai - Maceman, Kappa, Hero

Mongolia: The Khan
UU: Keshik - Horse Archer, Blue Wolf - (Don't Know), Hero

Arabia: The Sultan
UU: Camel Archer - Horse Archer, Djinn - (Don't Know), Hero

The Invader Civs:

England: The Queen
UU: Longbowman - Archer, Welsh Dragon, Lancelot

France: The Dauphin
UU: Paladin, (French Mythical Unit), Hero

Spain: The King
UU: World Explorer, (Spanish Mythical Unit), Hero

Tuetons: The Knight
UU: Tuetonic Knight, Niebelung, Siegfried

Vikings: The Konung
UU: Beserker, Kraken, Hero

Note: I'm not saying European's are bad, but they did invade many asian countries, hence the names Invader Civs.

The Neutral Civs:

Religions:

Spoiler :

Islam
Christianity
Hinduism
Taoism
Confucianism
Buddhism
No Judaism because there are no Jewish Civs.

Civics:
Spoiler :

Name: Acceptance
Upkeep: Low
Effect: Basic Mythology Civic
Comments: You accept what's going on around you. You don't understand it, but that's ok

Name: Fortune-Bringers
Upkeep: low
Effect: Each myth unit brings +1 to the city it's in.
Comments: Mythological creatures obvously are good omens, and the more you see them the better off you are.

Name: Honor
Upkeep: Med
Effect: +1 exp points for Myth units, -20% production cost for myth units.
Comments: You show honor and respect towards nature, the Universe, and her creatures. The creatures respond to this respect by becoming more willing to fight for you and more knowledgeable.

Name: Fame
Upkeep: High
Effect: Each myth Unit gives +1 culture to the city it's in for every 2 XP it has.
Comments: Some cities become famous for their mythology, or the modern day equivalent. Think of how much culture the Loch Ness monster has brought to Inverness.

Name: Worship
Effect: You may build a shrine in a city(req temple). Whenever you create your myth unit you get 1 free myth unit extra! Whenever you switch to another mythology civic the shrine loses it's benefits(except for Skepticism, see below).
Comments: You worship the kind and caring gods who give you success. They in turn bless you with more creatures to war on the heathens!

Name: Skepticism
Effect: You can also build shrines, but instead of the units, they give you +4 culture. Same as above, switching to another civic ends the benfits, except for Worship, which replaces it.
Comments: This represents a time in which people take the old legends with a grain of salt. Take for istance Athens. The Parthenon is kind of a shrine to their mythology, and though people no longer beleive in the Greek gods, they still know about them as interesting myths.

Name: Disbeleif
Effect: +50% production cost for myth units, -50% for UUs.
Comments: Since your people no longer need to waste any time worshipping silly fairies and the such, they can devote their time to what's really important, namely, your wars.

Name: Heathenism
Effect: Basic Religous civic
Comments: You have no religion and just do what feels right.

Name: Mythology
Effect: Myth units get +2 exp points
Comments: You believe in the local legends and myths handed down about your religion. The myths can vary considerably, and are different from region to region.

Name: Divine Right
Effect: +2 in cities with state religion, 50% less resistance time.
Comments: The belief that the leader is chosen by the heavens, and obedience to the leader is obedience to the gods.

Name: Imperial Encouragement
Effect: +100% production for missionaries of state religion.
Comments: The empire encourages the spread of it's religions and encourages people to spread it.

Name: Religious Assimilation
Effect: You have no state religion. You get a positive diplomatic bonus if a city of yours shares the state religion with that civ, no negative modifiers, +1 in each city with a religion.
Comments: You follow the ways of whomever you deal with. You are comfortable with multiple religions, and go with the flow.

Name: Crusading
Effect: All units +3 exp points in cities with state religion, higher negative modifier if nation has different state religion, negative modifier if no state religion.
Comments: Religion should be spread- at the point of a sword. If the dang pagans refuse to accept your religion, on their own heads be it!

Name: Holy Knights
Effect: You can train a special unit, Templar Knight, that can be sacraficed to give your state religion to a city.
Comments: You have an order of holy warriors willing to spread your religion, yet are also ly to disagree with.

Name: Nation
Effect: Basic empire civic
Comments: You control a nation of mostly a single nationality, united togther by the government.

Name: Tribal-Unity
Effect: +50% city upkeep, +4 culture per city
Comments: Several different tribes have been unified together as one nation, but to keep them together requires greater effort. However, because each city is so distinct, they have greater culture.

Name: Provincial Nobles
Effect: +100% GP points, -50% unit upkeep. Small chance every turn for each city with less than three military units in it will become barbarian.
Comments: By allowing the day-to-day rulings to go to the nobles of the provinces of your empire, you let people develop their own ideas more freely. The nobles also help pay for the armies out of their own pockets. However, this encourages a bit of greed for power among the nobles, and too small of a military presence might give them ideas...

Name: Motherland
Effect: +25% defense in top 5 cities, enemy unit's heal 50% slower in your territory.
Comments: Can anyone say Russia? "Rule one of war: Don't march on Moscow"

Name: Colonial Empire
Upkeep: None
Effect: No maintenance cost from distance to palace, +50% movement rate for ships.
Comments: A good seafaring empire, this is exemplified by Portugal in the 1500s, or Britain in the 1700s.

Name: Bastion Territory
Upkeep: Very High
Effect: No upkeep cost for 3 largest cities, walls +25% defense, castles +25% defense, Castles provide +2 exp points for each unit made.
Comments: A small but very well defended country, you are well defended from attack by a larger nation. Think of minor European nations. It's useless for a large empire because of the upkeep.

Name: Represenative Republic
Effect: You get +1 and +2 for each different nationality you have.
Comments: An empire of many different ethnicities, you are tolerant towards all and this expresses itself in happier citizens and greater cultural variety.

Name: Tribalism
Upkeep:low
Effect: Basic labor civ
Comment: You give all your effort to the tribe, the tribe gives you back it's effort.

Name: Caste System
Effect: Can force as many Engineers, Artists, and Merchants as you want.
Comment: Who you were born to determines your position in society. I thought engineers would be more appropriate for this time period than scientists.

Name: Serfdom
Effect: Workers build improvements 50% faster.
Comment: You give a group of serfs to a noble, and they do the

Name: Exchequer
Effect: Can spend to finish production in a city.
Comments: If you need something built, pay people to do it!

Name: Apprenticeship
Effect: Workshops +2 Towns and villages +1
Comment: Youth get trained to do their career by apprenticing themselves to the more experienced.

Name: Ruralism
Effect: Farms +1
Comment: Your people are mostly working in the country, not the cities.

Name: Urbanism
Effect: All cities larger than 7 +4, towns +2
Comment: Your people gather together in large cities, with fewer working farms and fields.

Name: Millitia
Effects: Basic Military civic
Comments: You have a group of people dedicated to protecting your nation.

Name: Guerilla Army
Effects: Unit upkeep greatly increased, all land units given Guerilla I and II, and Woodsman I and II.
Comments: You have a small but well trained army. They know the land very well, and they know how to use it to defeat a larger army.

Name: Army En Masse
Effects: Unit upkeep greatly decreased, 75% increase for military units, barracks effects suspended.
Comments: You maintain a very large army, at the expense of experience of your troops.

Name: Military Hiearchy
Effects: All units with 17+ experience give a 20% combat increase to units in a stack with them, and 10% combat increase to units by them.
Comments: You put your more experienced soldiers in charge of others as officers, letting them lend their knowledge of tactics and battle to the cannon-fodder.

Name: Mercenaries
Upkeep: None
Effects:You can buy a unit from a city with ; similiar to drafting with nationhood, but instead of pop and no . Also, 50% less war-weariness.
Comments: You buy your soldiers instead of training them yourself. It is very popular with your people because it is not their sons who are dying in foriegn lands.

Name: Exploration
Effects: Naval units and Recon units +100%, Naval units start with Navigation I, Recon units get Sentry.
Comments: Good for exploring enemy lands before the assault, or good for establishing rule of the seven seas.

Name: Patriotism
Effects: +100% UU and +100% Myth unit
Comments: Your people are proud of their nation and are well trained in the legends and folklore surrounding. Your difference makes you stronger, and you emphasize it.

Name: Barter
Effects: Basic economy civic
Comment: You trade what you have for what you want

Name: National Curency
Effects: +2 trade routes, no foriegn trade.
Comment: Your nation has a single currency, which is used throughout your empire.

Name: Spoils of War
Effects: Pillaging results in 3x as much gold
Comment: Your people are a warlike and agressive people and raid other nations to get what they need.

Name: Manoralism
Effects: Farms produce +2 commerce
Comment: You assign your land to several nobles who let lower class members work the soil, in exchange for giving them a share of the profits.

Name: Overseas Territories
Effects: Docks and Harbors(Or any naval buildings that will be in the mod) cost 50% less, Each surplus resource provides +2 coin.
Comment: You have several overseas territories and they are gathering rare and exotic goods for your empire.

Name: Banking Establishments
Effects: Each turn you make 5% of your total gold
Comment: By investing your money you are able to make a profit off the total amount of money you have.

Name: Free Trade
Upkeep:Low
Effects: All cities get +1 happiness for each trade route
Comment: You let your people trade with other nations to get luxuries and goods not found within your own borders, and these appease the people.

Techs:

Haven't Decided, Got Suggestions?

Buildings:

Haven't Decided, Got Suggestions?

Units:

Post #61

Improvements and Recources:

Jade (Mine)

Maybe Taoism, Confucianism or Buddhism.
Maybe?? ;) I think you need all of them
English Mythical unit could be a Western Dragon (& St. George or Lancelot could be the hero) Germans could have the Niebelung (basically Dwarves)

The hero of Germany should be Siegfried (no, not the magician, the character in the Niebelungenlied)

English Leader shoudl not be a queen, but King Arthur (duh!) I'm assuming you are going for mythilogical leaders.

Many of the models, (the djinn and Eastern Dragon specifically) are going to be in my mod (eventually), maybe even by the time you start this!

I think the Dutch should be the last European nation, since they expanded far into the "eastern world."

J_Period said:
Maybe?? ;) I think you need all of them
English Mythical unit could be a Western Dragon (& St. George or Lancelot could be the hero) Germans could have the Niebelung (basically Dwarves)

The hero of Germany should be Siegfried (no, not the magician, the character in the Niebelungenlied)

English Leader shoudl not be a queen, but King Arthur (duh!) I'm assuming you are going for mythilogical leaders.

Many of the models, (the djinn and Eastern Dragon specifically) are going to be in my mod (eventually), maybe even by the time you start this!

Fixed in top post

Haven't thought about it too much, but Chinese ruler should definately be the Yellow Emperor, who else? Well, I suppose the Jade Emperor could work, the real emperor's heavenly equivalent, but I think the Yellow Emperor is better as a mystical figure.

Perfect_Blue said:
Haven't thought about it too much, but Chinese ruler should definately be the Yellow Emperor, who else? Well, I suppose the Jade Emperor could work, the real emperor's heavenly equivalent, but I think the Yellow Emperor is better as a mystical figure.

Done and Done

For the German non-mythological unit, Teutonic knight, and the French, Paladin. Cool idea, by the way. Definitely want to download this when it comes out.:)

spain should not have siegfried as their hero, that should be germanys hero. for spain how about don quixote as the hero? also id say the other invader civ should be the turks. that would fill a big geographical gap in the map. spanish regular uu should be the tercio probably, though baeleric slingers could work, or jinnetes, the uu for spain in midieval total war.. their myth unit could be a windmill...jk. as for france... give em paladins (i agree) and make the king charlemagne, i mean why not?

I like the mystic asia...but the western invasion feels odd for me.

Still, depends how unique you make this mod. *thumbs up*

I first thought Jade Empire style when I saw the title. Asia but own creative license.

Or what about the vikings? I don't think they invaded asia at all, but it would be no problem to find a mythological unit for them, in all the Norse myths. I'd give them Berserkers as non-mythological, and you could give them the Kraken, a giant, octopus-like sea creature, for their mythological one.

King Coltrane said:
spain should not have siegfried as their hero, that should be germanys hero. for spain how about don quixote as the hero? also id say the other invader civ should be the turks. that would fill a big geographical gap in the map. spanish regular uu should be the tercio probably, though baeleric slingers could work, or jinnetes, the uu for spain in midieval total war.. their myth unit could be a windmill...jk. as for france... give em paladins (i agree) and make the king charlemagne, i mean why not?

Changed Siegfried but as for Turkey... I want the some land seperating asia and Europe so that they can fight on nuetral borders.

Lord Gideon said:
Or what about the vikings? I don't think they invaded asia at all, but it would be no problem to find a mythological unit for them, in all the Norse myths. I'd give them Berserkers as non-mythological, and you could give them the Kraken, a giant, octopus-like sea creature, for their mythological one.

I like this.

VIKINGS iT IS!

Lord Gideon said:
For the German non-mythological unit, Teutonic knight, and the French, Paladin. Cool idea, by the way. Definitely want to download this when it comes out.:)

Done and Done

I don't really agree with the western dragon as the English myth unit, but I don't have a better idea yet. The longbow seems a bit advanced for the mod to be honest, as does the paladin- by the time these units were around, Christianity had demonised dragons and 'mythological units'.

Perhaps they should either not receive mythological units or should be given different non-mythological units, such as an axe thrower for the Franks and maybe a druid for the Britons?

Edit: I think the same can be said for the Spanish.

Also, could a unique unit for the Vikings perhaps also be the longboat?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.

Lord Gideon said:

I believe there is evidence that vikings did reach as far as the middle east, not sure on this though. They certainly reached North Africa. I don't think they did this as one unified empire stretching from the middle east to the new world, but their influence did stretch a long way. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

kevjm said:
I believe there is evidence that vikings did reach as far as the middle east, not sure on this though. They certainly reached North Africa. I don't think they did this as one unified empire stretching from the middle east to the new world, but their influence did stretch a long way. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.
I think they might have reached asia, but I don't know about an invasion, which is what this mod is about. Maybe a couple ocean raids. Again, I might be wrong. Western European History isn't my strongest subject.

Top Bottom