Term 4 - Secretary of War

robboo

Deity
Office of the Secretary of War

Secretary of War: Robboo
Cartographer: Oldbus
Background
Our military is fairly weak right now as our country is in the midst of expansion and infrastructure building.

My Objectives:
My plans for our military are as follows.

City Defense:
Rear cities....Anything North of the fat cross of Abydos - pairs of archers
Front cities....Archers during peace time or war time when the enemy is in a defensive posture. Axman and spearmen if we are on the defensive.

Barb removal and defense
Units will be stationed on critical areas to remove the barb threat. Barbs will be killed immediately to stop any pillaging.

UU usage: In our home peninsula I can see having chariots stationed west of BW. Oother in the area of East of Abydos. This allows them to react to any problems that come up.

Attack forces: Our plan is to isolate, seige( when we can) and capture.Mixed arms are a must. We must send our best troops to the front and use our unit's advantages to our benefit. Chariots will be used to isolate cities that we are attacking.

Our Future.
As soon as Iron comes into our use..I plan on developing our attack force of swords. I will be working with our Minister of the Interior to develop plans for unit production.

As always if you have any questions feel free to post here or contact me.

List of units, location and their current assignment as of the end of Term 4 Session 1 TC. (4/04)

Scouts
Warrior inside Russia.. exploring Russian territory

City Garrisons
Warrior in BW...city garrison duty(governor's control)
Warrior in Abydos..city garrison duty(governor's control)
Archer in Abydos...city garrison duty(governor's control)
Axman in MG...city garrison duty(governor's control)
Archer in MG..city garrison duty( governor's control)
axman in City 4..city garrison duty(governor's control)
archer in city 4...city garrison duty(governor's control)

General troops
Axman NW of BW...sentry duty and worker protection
Axman SW of BW...sentry duty and worker protection--road guard
Axman E of Abydos...worker protection and road guard

Assignments in case of war.
Task force Alpha--(future attacking force of Old Sirai)
Axman In Old Sirai

Task Force Beta--( attack city south of City 4)

Task Force Charlie--( attack Turfan)

Task Force Gold Theif (pillage)
War Chariot city 4
Spearman near Abydos

links to important military screenshots..updated as needed.

robboo said:
Befor hitting enter...please promote Chariot to Combat 1 and fortify.Since it will get attacked between turns( more than likley)

War Chariot...DO NOT MOVE off of forested hill. DO NOT attack archer let it attack us or attack it only if you have better than 75% odds in winning. We are too weak to lose a unit now. After barb threat is eliminated..head toward Abydos to await next settler.
Robboo, are you well aware of fact that mounted units don't get deffensive bonuses ... so no fortify, no def. bonuses from terrain, etc.

yes I am..the fortify is really not needed but I also didnt want the unit moving.

However if we attack them on a forested hill they do get the bonus. We attack, it would be 5.25 vs 5..too close. They attack, with no defensive bonus its archer 3 vs 5 war chariot..we win.

Sometimes it better to let your opponent attack to lose their defensive bonus than to attack it.

Troops updated...will attempt to have prelimiary war plans before a poll is posted.

Cartography Office

UPDATED for 380 AD!

Maps of Licentia, Mongolia and Russia - 380 AD

Tiles with units are marked with an X and an explanation of what units are on that tile.

The red and magenta numbers on the top and left are simply grid reference numbers. Grid reference 0E0N is Boaring Wallow.

Abydos area

Boaring Wallow area

Micalian's Gate area

Toot Uncommon area

Western Mongolia

Eastern Mongolia

Northern Russia

Continent Maps (of military units)

Northern

Southern

Great job Oldbus. this will make future planning much easier and allow everyoen to look at the information with out actually opening up the save.

I also noticed that we will be able to steal the Mongolian worker building the road and I should position a unit for that.

Secretary Roboo, our science is lacking and with a possible war with the Mongolians coming soon (well... it could be next term or two terms from now... so take that with acouple of shots) we must build up our military forces.

Now you've done a great job of building up our military thus far (correction.. change great to excellent), but we need an estimation of exactly how much we need. So I ask you for an estimation of what we may need to launch a sucessful invasion against the mongolians and what we need for defense.

Any production we have left over needs to be diverted to science then.

I have done that in Georges MoI thread. Alot of that depends on what the scouts show the next TC.

Our defensive capabilities will be up to par if all the cities build what was requested of them..2 archers per city and then a few axes for support. However if the mongolians only have archers..they wont be any threat to our lands. Archers attacking archers inside cities are not an even match.

Off hand I woud say if we decide to fight a limited war of taking 2 or 3 cities we need roughly 6 to 8 Swords with a few axes also. We need double( or more) that amount to capture all of the Mongolian territory.

From another thread not related to this topic ...

robboo said:
Maybe I misread it..or missed it..BUT where in the CoL does it say PLANS must be approved. It states Declaration of War must be approved.

Look at the poll granting the approval for war - there were conditions attached to it in exchange for the early approval and flexibility that it gives you. It is NOT is a blanket authority for War.

In addition, why would you NOT present your plans to the people? This is a major event in our nation, there will be discussion and disagreement.

I will repeat my call in an earlier post - can we start discussions on the strategies for this war - what are the goals? How many of our current troops will be needed? How many more, and of what type will be needed? What about defense of our cities?

-- Ravensfire

Ravenfire..there have been discussions on that...

Striders "timetable for war", Striders "what do we want to accomplish this term", DaveShacks should we raze cities and my own thread about the Mongoians moving in on our cities. As for how may units that was posted in the MoI and governors council thread( an I will be updatign my list above this afternoon or tonight)

Now why wont I present my war plans...simply because I didnt know I had to. Much like the Judicaiary fighting over the letter of the law...WHERE does it say I have to present plans for approval. (I am asking because I dont see it..not saying that I wont even if its not in the CoL)

I was waiting till Old Sarai grew to size 2 before starting an in dept discussion on what the wars plan and goals are. WHY? because I dont know what troops I will have at that time.

Also from the looks of the last TC save some things happened which I thought the governors had not requested( build que) and certain units were not moved. I am in the process of trying to find a turn log to flesh out what happened.

robboo said:
WHERE does it say I have to present plans for approval. (I am asking because I dont see it..not saying that I wont even if its not in the CoL)

As I said, the authorization for war included that as a requirement. I suspect you voted without reading the poll. Here's a link.

As for the rest - those discussions are mostly old and stale, with several days or more from the last post. Perhaps the most critical decision - the scope of the war, could already be made now. Before darn near anything else can be decided, we MUST know our goals and objectives for this war, and have them clearly spelled out. I'm not seeing that.

There's also a discussion on handling capture cities - 4 days from the last post. THAT could have been resolved.

You're wanting discussions on the game - there's quite a bit that needs to be discussed for this war with the Mongols.

-- Ravensfire

I never stated I wanted discussions on the game...I stated the harping over judiciary rules are making the game less interesting. I also noticed the only ones talking about the judiciary ( in that thread)are myself, BCLG and the judicary including the censor. Funny you should start "picking" on me after that. I had hope our judiciary was above "tit-for-tat" battles but it seems I was wrong.

Poll the people and see if people are playing this game to listen to rules fights and interpetations or if they are playing to actually play the game in a mock government. The constant political fighting about judicary matters started last term have effectively killed this game and made it more about rules than playing.

Back to the war...
You will get no discussion of war plans as of yet...You poll reads
ravensfire said:
This poll is Validated.

The Assembly has now authorized the Secretaries of War and State to declare war at a time of their choosing so long as the SoW presents his plans for the war to the Assembly for approval prior to the declaration. This authority ends with this term.
-- Ravensfire, Censor

So when I decide its time to talk about the war you will get it. You have no timetable or anything except an ending date.

I personally feel you putting the requirement in that poll that is not stated in the CoL violates the MY right as an elected official to conduct business as I see fit and is in disagreement with the CoL. BUT I dont feel like getting the game stuck in the courts so I wont file a complaint unless I have to...( and no this isnt a threat)

Again it comes down to why have elected positions if every action they do has to be approved....either make this a massive succesion game with no offices or let the elected officials make decisions within the CoL mandated authority.

Very well.

I will ensure that in the future, any war polls I post will not be done until the last minute. I had hoped that you'd appreciate the flexibility and reciprocate.

I see that I was wrong.

-- Ravensfire, Censor

Oh and I did read the poll....I think we have to go to war but I dont like your requirements.

I would bet..that if you poll the same thing without the plan approval you would still get a majority saying go to war. Actually...I might just start that poll... A later referendum over writes a prior one correct??

Don't start down that road. If you want to, we can get into polling madness, with dueling referendums and initiatives. It will nicely wreak havok. Your call.

The DoW can only come from the Assembly, which the Censor is the head of. My intention with the early poll was to HELP YOU OUT. Flexibility, you know? Rather than try and predict when things would be needed, I had the gall to give you a great deal of authority with the sole check of verifying things with the Assembly again.

I can assure you, that will not happen again.

-- Ravensfire

By the way, to return to somewhat on topic, can we get some discussions either going on continuing on the war? I'd like to see discussions on the scope as soon as possible.

Thanks,
-- Ravensfire

Top Bottom