Aichi E16A "Zuiun"("Paul") navy reconnaissance seaplane

ArdRaeiss

Chieftain
This is my first model, 3-rd version with animation(standart fighter animation, no damage texture) with civ colors. 1113 polys.

Aichi E16A "Zuiun"("Paul")

(fixed) There is strange problem with civ coloring when i place(in WorldBuilder) in single tile more that 1 plane. First plane colored by real civ colors, but other use plain texture. (fixed)

Updated 01.04.2006: DDS for button added.
Updated 04.04.2006: Fixed civ colors - added FX version of nif.
Updated 05.04.2006: Added mini-"tutorial" "How to fix civ colors in your model"

Attachments

• Aichi E16A1.JPG
    Aichi E16A1.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 2,184
  • PolyCounter.jpg
    PolyCounter.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 733
  • E16A1_ico.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 522
  • E16A1.ZIP
    133.5 KB · Views: 574
Very nice ! It great that you gonna make some Japanese units to fill the gap

boneys26 said:
nice work :goodjob: But we need land and sea units now.:mischief: theres loads of planes and little else:( :cry:

Didn't you know? Air superiority is the surest way to victory. ;)

Wonderful.

I'm wondering if we can give some ships like cruisers and battleships the ability to carry this plane and still keep them from carrying non-seaplanes. This would be great for doing spotting missions from ships at sea.

Roger Bacon

GeoModder said:

LOL yeah but who's ever won a war with just air units? I think theres some thing like 3+ planes to every modern ground unit :( it would be nice to even it up :)

Roger you can just go into xml and edit <SpecialCargo>NONE</SpecialCargo> and <cargo>0</cargo> on the battle ship/or what ever ship you want to transport it
but also on the plane edit <Special>NONE</Special>
and you will have to define it also in CIV4SpecialUnitInfos for it to work

RogerBacon said:
Wonderful.

I'm wondering if we can give some ships like cruisers and battleships the ability to carry this plane and still keep them from carrying non-seaplanes. This would be great for doing spotting missions from ships at sea.

Roger Bacon
Or, also, some way to give this plane to units - not only let a battleship carry one, but have it come with a battleship automatically when the ship is built.

GeoModder said:

As I have most recently found on the Prince level, it's GETTING air superiority is the problem, especially when chuckles has two Jet Fighters in each city and about 30 sam inf to boot (not including the carrier based JF's, destroyers and that absurd random Mechinf shooting up my bombers).

Still, I like the Idea of a recon plane, let it see subs, give + whatever vs naval units only. Looks nice to boot.

ArdRaeiss said:
Problem with civ colors fixed by creating FX version of nif.

I'm having the same problem you had with the civ colors with one of my own units. Can you explain what you changed in the FX version file to fix it please?

I've been playing around with it for a few hours without making any progress. :confused:

The only difference is in texture properties. I make this picture to show my settings for "normal" and "fx" nif versions.
Read the "Getting_your_units_in_Civilization_4.pdf", i did as it say: "UnitName_Skinned_TeamColor: A skinned object with team color. Drag the decal texture into the base material and drag none into the decal slot. Select TCiv4Skinning from the Selected Shader Drop down Menu. After you do that, make sure you press the apply button at this point."
This works for simple textured units, for more complex mechanical textures(gloss, damage states, glow) you must use NIF Viewer to see texture properties of any mech model from Civ4(like Tank or Battleship). You see 4 maps are in use - base, decal, gloss and glow. Then open sample "Tank_Complete.max" and set shader for:
"Normal nif" - "TCiv4MechNonShader".
Maps: base - TeamColor.bmp, detail - normal texture, decal - damaged parts of texture, gloss - gray texture for gloss, glow - "environment" texture.
"FX nif" - "TCiv4MechShaderGloss"
Maps: same as before, just set "base" to "none". Don't forget "apply" button.
These settings works fine for sample Tank model.
Hope this help you :)

Attachments

• TextureExportProperties.jpg
    TextureExportProperties.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 379
Thank you for the expalanation ArdRaeiss. :)

I'm running into a problem still however. When I create the FX file that way, the material I changed becoimes invisible when you look at it in the nif viewer and in the game. Any idea why it's doing that?

I've tried several of the different shaders with the same result.

Dual said:
I'm running into a problem still however. When I create the FX file that way, the material I changed becoimes invisible when you look at it in the nif viewer and in the game. Any idea why it's doing that?
Very strangly. I get the "pink tank" in viewer and "pink sphere" in game when i "play" with tank model. I did something wrong - use wrong shader or place textures into wrong positions or, maybe, just forget to press "Apply" button BEFORE applying texture to mesh. But when i do all as i write before - i get viewable unit with gloss and mirror effect(glow map) in Civilopedia. Did you read pdf carefully and examine sample file and nifs from game?
Try to make simple "Cube" unit and apply simple texture with "hole" in alpha map. Try first method.
It's hard for me to explain for you my(not so big) expirience, cause i don't learn english :( Maybe i just make the sample "template model".

Well, I've been messing around trying different things. And I think it has something to do with the alpha mask in the dds file I'm using for the texture. Because when I change how black the alpha over my civ colors is, it makes the material less see-through in the game.

So I need to find some way to tell the FX.nif file that I want the alpha to create TeamColor instead of transparency. The TeamColors work fine in the normal .nif file, just not the FX version for some reason.

[in regards to the technical how to jargon above]

no friggin clue what they're saying

Any chance we can get you to do some other period pieces maybe? Perhaps some American or British carrier based planes?

Or if you really wanted to perhaps a Naval Cruiser of some sort?

just hopping

(cough hintingcough)

(cough you to roland cough)

(cough nautil, snafu, etc etc cough)

(cough to stupid to learn this stuff on my own, friggin public school education system cough)

(damn i need some NiQuil)

So I was Googling for "Aichi E16A1" to get a description to add to the civlopedia and guess what the number 2 link is... That's right! It's this very thread. Congratulations. You're number 2 on Google!

Roger Bacon

RogerBacon said:
So I was Googling for "Aichi E16A1" to get a description to add to the civlopedia and guess what the number 2 link is... That's right! It's this very thread. Congratulations. You're number 2 on Google!

Roger Bacon
Haha, that is so cool! :beer:

Top Bottom