18 Century Pikeman

AlazkanAssassin

Engineer
I made this unit by puting the pikemans pike onto a reskinned redcoat.
I changed the red of the coat to team color because I plan on using it for everyone.

Screenshots of course:

Edit: Here is another version with a wooden pike (from Rabbit, White's weapon Pack)

Edit: Now includes new skin that eliminates the blue-green tint on the team color (not shown in screenshots)

Edit: files moved to unit database
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2772

Attachments

• Fighting.JPG
    Fighting.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 2,061
  • front0000.JPG
    front0000.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Wooden Pike.JPG
    Wooden Pike.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,139
May I interest you in doing loads of units in the same way for my Napoleonic Europe scenario? It has atleast 100 unique units that need re-equipping & re-skinning ;)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=164835

This one is definately coming in as the Pikemen (They suck big-time but are the only units buildable without any resources)

Paasky, make sure you give them a heavy increase against any form of hand cavalry, as that was what they were used for.

I'm already making a few more of that era for a mod I'm doing. I'll be sure to send them your way when they are done.

Cool! Look like Irish Rebels from 1798.
It makes me sing:
"By the rising of the moon, by the rising of the moon
For the pikes must be together by the rising of the moon"

I added another version with a wooden pike from Rabbit, White's weapon pack.
I think this version is a better fit historically.

Links in first post.

stupid question time:

If I wanted to have the regular pikeman's appearance replaced by the 18th century version upon the discovery of a tech (nationalsim for example), how would I code this into the xml etc's?

What a coincidence, that is the exact purpose that I created the unit for!
I am making a mod that updates the graphics of EVERY unit periodically. (I've always hated anachronisms) So I already have a method for it.

The easy way would be to simply make it an upgrade of the pikeman, exactly the same cost / stats, and eliminate the set cost of upgrading. This uses XML only.

But I developed a way to make it free and automatic with no effect on gameplay (unless you want one)

It uses python as well as XML and it will take me a bit of time to write it up for you to use.

What you asked for is EXACTLY what mine is already doing!

Sweeeeet!!

Yeah that'd be great if you could post it for for me, not only do I have plans for this unit in particular but also for some of the other units you did for the 18th century as well as teh numerous planes from Nautil, tanks by Snaf & Sharick and others.

Getting this info would be of great use to me (and yes I'm planning to actually post this ubermod I've been working on hoepfully by Monday, and ys it will be graphically sweet)

here is the python file as well as two .txt that try to explain what i did a little bit. the documentation is not even close to par (which makes me cringe inside) but you need it quickly so i thought i would just get it to you and hope you can understand it. Any questions can of course be asked here or by PM.

Attachments

• Updating.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 267
Top Bottom