Various Greek Units

R

Rabbit, White

ComG asked me to help him make a number of Greek units and I figured it might be a good idea to have a thread that has all of them in one place instead of making a new one for each new unit.

The first one I did is a javelin throwing Phalanx.

It uses Mali Skirmisher animations and also their weapon (I figured the default Phalanx spear is a bit too big for throwing, plus it's easier that way :D).

Spoiler technical details :
For some reason whenever I apply skirmisher animations to any other units the spear can't decide which way it wants to face, half the time it's pointing forward, the other half the time it's pointing back. To solve this I made a two-edged (two-pointed?) spear. It's done by simply having two copies of the spear facing opposite directions, so A) you can remove one of them if you don't mind the spear facing wrong direction occasionally but don't want it to be two-edge, and B) well if you figure out how to make it face the right direction all the time then let me know how.

Here are two more units, greek swordsman based on the praetorian and greek archer based on archer :)

I stole the shield texture for the swordsman from ComG's Hoplite.

I also want to give a huge, huge thanks to Chalid for providing the Phalanx's head. Without him these units (especially the archer) wouldn't have been possible. :thumbsup:

Finally, for completeness here are links to more Greek units:

- Couple of Greek units I made a while ago
- ComG's own Spartan Hoplite

Enjoy

Attachments

• phalanx_javelin.zip
    75.7 KB · Views: 501
  • greekunits2.zip
    196.1 KB · Views: 525
I posted two units in another thread that might be interesting to anyone looking for Greek/Roman units. Here's the link, and here's the screenshot (I probably don't need to tell you which of the four I mean ;)).

Very cool Rabbit and eventually ComG.

That Phalanx looks fearsome!

So who's making the Greek scenario or Mod? These look great so far.

woodelf said:
So who's making the Greek scenario or Mod? These look great so far.
Thanks. ComG's working on the mod, I'm just helping out with some of the units.

@Rabbit, ComG

These units look great and I will implement some of them into the Realism Mod. Thank you!!! :)

I have one suggestion: The sword of Rabbits Swordman is authentic. Thats how the Greek sword looked like. However the new greek swordmen on this site have a straight sword, which is not accurate.

Since Rabbit can now replace weapons. It would be great, if you could bring two versions, Your own greek swordman, but replace his flat round shield against this white full round shield AND take this greek swordmen and change his straight sword against the curved sword. That would be great!

Also another suggestion, since I have seen how many different units you can do with one unit in changing his weapons. Have you considered taking this awesome looking Real Immortal unit and give him a Longbow?

Or a Spearmen's Spear with the immortal shield?

or (like this again but not as skirmisher but as Spearman)

Or give him an one handed Axe and flat small shield?

All these units are authentic and would look awesome. :D

@Houman: As for the sword, ComG didn't ask for it so I didn't use it. It's pretty simple though to replace the default one with this one. Read through my tutorial, after that it's a 2 minute operation. :)

As for using different animations for some of these I'll definitely look into it, it's good to have variations, I'm just not sure when I'll be able to get to it.

@thamis: The companion cavalry is in the scenario folder (units/scenario/companion_cavalry).

Updated second post with a link to couple of units that could be useful for Greek/Roman mods.

Rabbit, would you mind uploading the Greek Archer folder with all of the necessary files that are needed for the unit to work included in the actual folder? And, possibly an art define to go with it? I tried putting this unit in and I've found it fruitless. Oddly enough, instead of being named "archer" it's named "phalanx_archer." I tried adding in all other archer files but I haven't been successful.

Man these units are awesome!! Great job!

One side note on the Spartans....They should have red capes. Spartans always wore red capes so their enemies couldn't see them bleed. Along with the red V shield, of course.

Top Bottom