Who-5: Tom Tom Club builds a party lounge training game

Whomp

Keep Calm and Carry On
Retired Moderator
Who-1 Tom Tom Club bangs a drum was a big hit last summer. It was a bizarre variant where we won by domination on Emperor even with automated workers and city governors on. Renata had one turnset where she had 4 MGL's. Needless to say we didn't need no stinkin' workers or governors to win that one.

Tom Tom Club will now give a chance for chieftain to monarch players to come together in a training game, bang a drum and build a party lounge.

My co-trainers and I will be providing tons of assistance, tips, turn reviews and help to move you guys along to your goal of a space shot. I chose a space shot since it takes you through all of the ages, requires the most attention to detail and is the only victory that includes a party lounge for our drummers. :D

My other goal is to provide some material for gmaharriet who is constructing some illustrations for newer players so lots of pictures will help.

The game will be on Emperor because the AI will force your hand on diplomacy and trading effectively.

This game is not about speed. Sign ups should be aware that SGs normally take a couple months to complete and this one will probably take longer with all the discussions and summertime upon us (at least in the northern hemisphere). If you don’t have this kind of time or commitment, don’t sign up. If you're a chieftian/warlord player and afraid of signing up for a emperor game, don't be. I'm very confident in our success.

We’ll be using the format:
  • Pre-turn strategizing/suggestions
  • A trainee will take their turn (20 for the opening start and 10 thereafter. When we reach the IA we will take 5 turns apiece)
  • Trainees will post a detailed turn log plus a save when they've finished their turns as well as right before they consumate any trades (for trainer evaluation purposes)
  • Trainers will chime in with a critiques of the turns (changes he could have made, suggestions for next time, ideas for the next player, etc) and possibly where they can shadow your turns.
  • then we go on to discuss the next turn. Rinse and repeat.

The only variant is there will be no great wonders built unless the trainees can make a case for why it is so important for their space shot.

Civ choice is open but my preference is no scientific, religious or militaristic civs for their cheap buildings and industrious for lazy worker task play. I am open to the other civs and their traits. One caveat... I would consider the Americans since their trait combination and UU take away many of the crutches monarch and below players ordinarily lean on.

Here are some of the details I'd like to use regarding the map.
This game is C3C
Size:Standard
Landmass: Continents, 60% water
Climate wet
Temperature: Temperate
AI civs: Random but cultural locations off
Barbs: Roaming

If you don't have mapstat or CAII you should download one these in the utility section before play.
Standard LK rules and exploits will apply.
Spoiler :
The following tactics are PROHIBITED:

RoP Abuse Tactics - Denying resources, blocking key tiles, RoP rape, or other ways to screw-up a civ via the RoP. A scout in AI territory has an explicit RoP and is subject to this rule.

Peace Treaty abuse - If you get concessions from the AI you must wait for the 20 turns to end before declaring another war.

Resource abuse - You can't disconnect / reconnect a resource every turn for the sake of building cheap units to upgrade with excess cash.

Ship chaining exploit - you can move a ship, unload troops to another ship in the same square not using any movement, move that ship, etc. This allows you to ship an indefinite distance, and that is why I consider it an exploit.

The negative science exploit - you can run a huge deficit (-250 / turn) of negative cash with a token penalty of one lost worker / cheap building. If cash will go below zero, the research level must be dropped.

Palace Jump - You abandon the capital city to move the palace to a new location. If you want to move the palace, build a new palace.

Mass troop jumping - You can't give away a give a city to transport a large amount of troops to another landmass.

Worker baiting - You can't spread around and sacrifice workers to an oncoming attack. This is often done to avoid losing real units or cities. This takes advantage of the AI failure to prioritize targets.

Standard LK house rules:

2) Worker blockades are prohibited. This prevents things such as fortifying workers along the coast to stop invasions, blocking troops from going through your territory with workers, etc. Workers activity doing something along the coast is fine. The workers must be actively doing something.

3) You may not declare war on a civ if you are currently shipping cash and / or goods to the civ.

4) Even if not covered under exploits listed, please try not to use tactics that take advantage of holes in the game design.

5) Our reputation is golden - please respect it.

6) Self-research is highly preferred, if it is viable. I would rather invest money in beakers to toward science, then waste it on demands. Minimum research is discouraged unless we have no viable alternatives. This may happen at times such as going for republic early on, or late game to insure we get nationalism.

7) As you probably know barbs are screwed up in C3C. It is preferred that you add the following line to your Civ3 .ini file - noAIpatrol=0. Adding "noAIpatrol=0" to the .ini file turns the annoying patrolling back on for the AIs, but also restores movement to the barbarians.

Once we get our roster set I’ll post more details.
Current roster:
Bucephalus
CommandoBob
goodsmell
Ansar the king frog
Vind2
Smart
Theryman

Bring a drum...here's mine...

The Inquisitive Idiot wants to be a better drummer!

If response is heavy, make me an alternate, since I am also in Bede's current training game.

Edit: I tend to let the game select the civ. Why not do the same here, just redo if the random civ has an undesirable trait?

Whomp, I thought I had a picture of "The Drum of Victory", from the Day of The Destroyer. I could not find it, not even on the web. I would have posted it so someone could use it.

@jclast--my preference is C3C since that's what I play almost exclusively.
@CommandoBob-- you're in. If we have 6 or 7 players that will work fine. Please find a drum.
@vmxa--hehe. Stick around I'd like you to help train. :D

@ Cody and jclast :sad:
How can we get you guys to spend a few bucks to get C3C?
I thought I heard you could find it for $10 somewhere. :(

Whomp said:
@ Cody and jclast :sad:
How can we get you guys to spend a few bucks to get C3C?
I thought I heard you could find it for $10 somewhere. :(

Yeah save the worn out C3 and PTW disk and switch to C3C.

:devil:

lurker's comment:

Just saw the Whomp's "location" :rotfl: I'll be watching this one with interest.

Might I suggest England on a wet temperate map?

Bede said:
:devil:

lurker's comment:

Just saw the Whomp's "location" :rotfl: I'll be watching this one with interest.

:blush: Dang. AK and I were in Scout's humidor for a week without him noticing. :D
We will have to move to another location. :D
Bede said:
Might I suggest England on a wet temperate map?
I like them as well. The English become so strong mid to late game. It could make for a monster finish.

I shall sign up! I am ready to become a Emperor-class idiot! :salute: :rockon:

Liz sounds good to me. We need to decide settings...:p

This reminds me of Grumpy Old Men with their Lucky Candle to light the way...:old:

Ansar the King Frog said:
I shall sign up! I am ready to become a Emperor-class idiot!
Sweet. I dig the king.
madviking said:
Oh, I'm already emporer...
GL though :)
GL to you too then Mister! Does GL mean a sign up? :D

Vind2 said:
I'd love to join if there is still room :)
Vind you are in'd. If GL means a join up we need to start working towards a party lounge.

Theryman said:
GL means good luck, btw.
Ah gotcha...old guy here. I just learned "meh" and "woot" so bear with me.
Welcome aboard Theryman. Killer drum. :goodjob:

OK we have our space cadets and Ansar said he wants England. How about the rest of you? I'll roll starts tomorrow.

Top Bottom