Initiative: Captured City Renaming Procedure

How should we rename captured cities? (PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE VOTING)

• Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sigma

Censor
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE VOTING!

Citizens, I need your input on a new Censor procedure that we haven't encountered yet: renaming captured cities. While I was thinking about this, I came up with four options.

The first two were too sweeping and radical so I threw them out. They included:
- Disregard all old names and give them new ones
- Leave all names alone

I thought it better to establish a middle ground, by going on a case-by-case basis. There's two ways of handling it this way, though.
- Proceed straight to nominations and vote with the old name as an option in the poll (it would also get a free pass to the final vote if there is one)
- Hold a preliminary yes/no poll for each city to decide if we should rename it, then take nominations and vote if it goes through

The first option is faster, we can get on with the nominations and voting right away, but the second is maybe more thorough. Please vote on which option you prefer and I will write it into my procedures.

This poll should be treated as an initiative because it details procedure, and will remain in effect until overturned.

Please note that this poll will close in 3 days from this posting.

I think you might get complaints about there not being a discussion prior to the poll.

I think these are good choices. It would seem in the current environment that the simplest procedure is better, but I'll hold off voting until I see if there are comments.

I voted the second because the first poll will be a very easy yes/no/abstain poll
Only if a majority (without abstain) wants yes you have to start thinking about names and all.

I think you might get complaints about there not being a discussion prior to the poll.

Dave,
I thought about this while I was posting. There's already been some discussion HERE, though it did die out a while ago. If I was including the options "Rename all cities" or "Don't rename any cities", I certainly would have reopened discussion. But because the two options differ in procedure only slightly, I decided it didn't warrant discussion. I almost went right ahead and picked one, but I wanted to poll the citizens to see if they generally liked one way better than the other. My intent was not to create a debate, rather it was just to appease the picky people out there. ;)

In the long run it shouldn't matter which option is picked here - if the majority of citizens want to rename, then we will end up renaming no matter which procedure we go through (and the same for not renaming).

It seems to me that option 1 contains the yes/no poll from option 2, and hence time would only be saved if the consensus was no (keep the original name). If the majority voted yes, to change the name we'd have to go through the same procedure as option 1: of nomination and poll, AFTER the time taken on the first poll. Option 1 seems to cut down the number of polls necessary.

That being said, this is my first DG, so I am not sure how many people want to change the names, but they are all fairly unique so far.

This poll is closed and the results are validated.

Top Bottom