Civ2 cities resurrected

Civinator

Blue Lion
Supporter
Here are some Civ2 cities from my mod that do in my eyes a good job in Civ3, too. The Mideast cities are from Bebro and the Euro cities were made by an artist I don´t know and slightly modified by me. At time there is only one era (ancient).

Attachments

• rEuro Cities.jpg
    rEuro Cities.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 1,691
  • rMideast Cities.jpg
    rMideast Cities.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 1,323
  • rEuro.png
    rEuro.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 915
  • rMIDEAST.png
    rMIDEAST.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 704
And here are the files:

Attachments

• rEuro.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 207
  • EUROWALL.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 189
  • rMIDEAST.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 193
  • MIDEASTWALL.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 193
those look cool civinator! i love using "retro" stuff like this!

(haha, i love the sig too, i even wrote it in black marker on my schoolbag!)

Thank you all for your kind words and I´m glad that you like my sig. As you all see on one of the maps, I have some more stuff. But the best is the reworked map itself with some features I haven´t seen in any mod or scenario yet... (but it´s too early to talk about it)

@Varwnos, may be the rEURO city is a good step from the ancient era to your crusader cities.
@Quinzy : This is a big honour, that my sig is on your schoolmap.

- hmm.. as you are all so kind: There are passes in the mountains (in one picture you can see the Brenner south of Munich). The mountains are impassable terrain. The pass is the only way to cross the mountains. You can build a fortress or a road on the pass. But beware: There are big thunderstorms and bad weather in the mountains that wash away your fortresses, troops and roads. The pass in the mountain is a much better use (in my eyes) of the volcanoe terrain. You wouldn´t lay roads over volcanoes, but you do this over passes. Of course the volcanoe graphics are changed to a thunderstorm and there is no smolder warning (so I have a graphic for it). Here you can see an early prototype in post 13: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=156792

But the best are fixed places for all cities on the map (Cityspot terrain). I just test a feature that these cities have fixed names, that can easily change when the city is occupied by another civ (p.e. Marseille on the right place on the map changes the name to Massilia when captured by the Romans) or the civ reaches another time era (p.e. Tenochtitlan to Mexico City). This works but at time I can´t say to what scale (numbers of cities).:D

Virote_Considon said:
You've managed to get rid of cultural borders, too!! Now there's a Civ2 feel!

No, the screenshots are from the editor and there is an easy feature to toggle off the borders. But if you want to get rid of the borders, this shouldn´t be a problem. I think you must only set the border graphics to transparency.:)

Imo it is ok, although i think that you should also upload the smiley originals, since they too can be used :)
Since they were made for freeciv there are five sets, so you could even try to arrange them in different ways if you felt like it- although it could take time to achieve.

Imo it is ok, although i think that you should also upload the smiley originals, since they too can be used :) Since they were made for freeciv there are five sets, so you could even try to arrange them in different ways if you felt like it- although it could take time to achieve.

Hi varwnos, Smiley did a very good work with his cities and a lot of Smiley´s other city-sets are used in my mod (but sometimes in a different way) and are "in work" like lot of other Civ 2 stuff, too (look on the airfields in Russia).
I think this is a good methode to honour these great Civ 2 artists and also to get some nice graphics for Civ 3. Too bad that FIRAXIS tried to throw all this beautiful art in the garbage bin with their cruel Civ 4 graphic engine.

I only use the last two city graphic slots for the fixed earth map in my mod. The first slot is set to transparency for some special reasons. And I think I still have some very interesting -and good looking- combinations of different Civ 2 stuff. :)

hi Civinator do u have the rest of these cities era wise and for the asians and american culture too cos these are not completed ... am sorry to bring this up cos i tried searchin for ur mod for the complete set of these cities but couldn't find it .... and Great work btw .... these cities are so neat and detailed too :)

hi Civinator do u have the rest of these cities era wise and for the asians and american culture too cos these are not completed ... am sorry to bring this up cos i tried searchin for ur mod for the complete set of these cities but couldn't find it .... and Great work btw .... these cities are so neat and detailed too :)

Hi fuad, my mod isn´t ready at time. There is a lot of new stuff in it and I think it could be innovative when it is ready. The cities work as a combination of city graphics on resource files and traditional city graphics. Therefore the traditional city graphics (as the Russian city above) are a little bit smaller than normal traditional city graphics. The screenshots you have seen in other threads concerning my mod were nearly always city graphics on resource files.

With this combination I can get much more different culture groups on the fixed earth map, when these city-resource-files are set to strategic or luxury (but I have always to be aware not to run into the "phantom resources bug"). May be these new "hybrid cities" can be the backbone of a new trading system for Civ 3, too.

And fuad, it seems we have the same taste. These cities are looking so "neat and detailed" in my eyes too.:) But I have always to point out, that I´m not the creator of these city graphics. They are all made by "ancient" Civ 2 graphic masters. I wish they could look what great job their cities do in Civ 3 and that there is a way for their great work to stand the test of time :). Of course, if some of these great creators would say they don´t want their cities be used in this way - what I can´t imagine in this case - I would remove them at once.

For better understanding about my resource-cities in my last post, I concentrate here my screenshots of them that were spread in a lot of different threads (and add some new :) ).

All these cities are resources. In the first era, all city graphics are set to transparency.

Absolutely breathaking.

Ohh...

What map are you using? That looks like a mighty fine Korea!

First thank you all for the nice words. Like you can see in the minimap, it´s a world map. It´s the world map of Aeldrik, resized by CellKu (from Rocoteh´s famous scenario "WW2-Global") and slightly changed by me.

Much better than the graphics are the new features of that mod. Here you can read something about it:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/SOE_forum/index.php?showtopic=109&view=findpost&p=9491902 (post 17.12.2006). My enhanced techtree methode is included too http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=181605.

Here are some pictures of my techtree for the first two eras. I´m really a little bit proud of them.:)

Updated: The techtree for era 3 (Industrial Ages):

Updated: The techtree for era 4 (Atomic Age):

And here is a sampler of some wondersplashes of my mod. Some of these splashes were done by me:

Top Bottom