WH40K Dawn of War Bitz

R

Rabbit, White

Intro

Finally got my hands on Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. I'm still working on animations (it very well could be that they'll need to be re-done from scratch), but for now here are some heads, weapons and misc. items I got from Orks.
I'll also add posts for the other four races so that all items I post go neatly into one thread.

Orks

UPDATE: Added Goblin head, with two weapons, hammer and knife.

These are all zipped together and grouped by texture, i.e. all nif files in a folder use the same (one) texture that's there. Also, all the stuff on the heads are separate objects - helmet, goggles, jaw cage and the ponytail.

Poly counts:
Spoiler :

Mad Dok
  • Head: 704
  • Banner: 136
  • Knife: 54

Stormboyz
  • Head: 721
  • Helmet: 70
  • Shoulder pads: 86 (both)
  • Rocket: 104
  • Boomstick: 96
  • Knife: 106

Nob Leader
  • Head: 745
  • Plume (ponytail): 162
  • Banner: 178
  • Shoulder pads: 68 (both)
  • Claw: 285
  • Axe: 132

Choppa Boyz
  • Head: 721 / 1163 with all the attachments (which follow)
  • Plume: 114
  • Goggles: 116
  • Helmet: 132
  • Jaw Cage: 80
  • Shoulder pad plain: 34
  • Shoulder pad spiky: 54
  • Backpack: 167
  • Axe: 114

Added Bitz from Goblin
I optimized the head a bit and got it down to 216 polygons, the hammer and the knife are 139 and 86 polygons respectively.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Spoiler Copyright Stuff :

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War -- © copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2004. All Rights Reserved. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, the Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War logo, the GWI logo, Games Workshop, the Games Workshop logo, Space Marine, Space Marine chapter logos, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k Device and all associated races, race insignia, marks, names, characters, illustrations and images from the Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War game and the Warhammer 40,000 universe are either ®, TM and/or © Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2004, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world, used under license. Developed by Relic® Entertainment. Game engine code © 2004 Relic Entertainment Inc. Relic, Relic Entertainment and the Relic logo are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Relic Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved. The FreeType Project is copyright © 1996-2000 by David Turner, Robert Wilhelm, and Werner Lemberg. All rights reserved. This product contains software technology licensed from GameSpy Industries, Inc. © 1999-2004 GameSpy Industries, Inc. GameSpy and the "Powered by GameSpy" design are trademarks of GameSpy Industries, Inc. All rights reserved THQ and the THQ logo are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of THQ Inc. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are property of their respective owners.

Attachments

• Orks1.zip
    304.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Goblin.zip
    31.5 KB · Views: 110
Space Marines

Some Space Marines weapons, including a chainsaw sword and a high-powered sniper rifle :) :sniper:
The sword in there also supports full gloss.

Attachments

• Space_Marines_Weapons.zip
    31.3 KB · Views: 103
Eldar

Here are some weapons I grabbed from the Eldar. Two swords and a big knife. They'll work well for a fantasy setting but with reskins can also work for a more realistic setting. These swords btw have functional gloss.

I only exported melee weapons because they're more flexible in terms of where they can fit. However, if you'd like some science fiction type weapons let me know, I can get those as well. The Eldar weapons are slick, almost organic looking (think the alien weapons from Halo but more "fluid" and slick).

Attachments

• eldar_weapons.zip
    49.3 KB · Views: 102
no Imperial Guard?

I managed to blender down the polycount of the nobz' head below 900(from about 2050). It looks still the same. However the light parts of the dds seem to blink a little in game even after reducing the dds to half a the size. Could this be just my pc again or did you experience the same? Any idea how to fix that? It's a small taint but makes looking at the unit for a longer time a little irritating. I post the testunit too in a seperate thread.

This is just the head(without dds)

Edit: file removed made a lowerpoly one, see below post15

Awsome! :goodjob:

Polycounts in DoW are quite high as they made quite a big thing about being able to zoom right in on the combat. Not really neccessary... but quite cool (another cool thing - they have unique animations for certain units killing certain others. Not possible in Civ, sadly, but still cool :)).

The choppa boy seems to be the flamer version. How are they separated in the game files?

Good luck with the animations!

cant wait for the fully animated units, weehaaa

Ploeperpengel said:
I managed to blender down the polycount of the nobz' head below 900(from about 2050). It looks still the same. However the light parts of the dds seem to blink a little in game even after reducing the dds to half a the size. Could this be just my pc again or did you experience the same? Any idea how to fix that? It's a small taint but makes looking at the unit for a longer time a little irritating. I post the testunit too in a seperate thread.

This is just the head(without dds)
Hmmm, not sure where you're getting 2050 from - in max it's showing me 907 for the entire head (with the ponytail), in NIF viewer the head I posted gives a 1049 vertex count, the head you posted gives 939 vertex count.

I'm not sure about the problem you're having. What do you mean by "light parts ... blink"? I haven't tested this stuff in game, just in the viewer, does the plume seem to be actually blinking in game?

The Great Apple said:
Polycounts in DoW are quite high as they made quite a big thing about being able to zoom right in on the combat. Not really neccessary... but quite cool (another cool thing - they have unique animations for certain units killing certain others. Not possible in Civ, sadly, but still cool ).

The choppa boy seems to be the flamer version. How are they separated in the game files?

Good luck with the animations!
Actually all the choppa boys are in one file, the differences between them (as I understand) are just the weapons, and so the max file just has the one choppa boy with all the possible weapons and equipment all the various types use (kinda like the worker with all his tools in nif viewer). Since I only imported stuff that I thought could be useful right away I imported the burn pack, but left out the actual flamethrower, as well as the various other guns they had there.

Hmmm - I'm pretty sure when you upgrade a unit from a standard choppa boy to a burna boy in the game he gets the mask and goggles. They don't come on the standard choppa boy. It's probably done like the other weapons are.

Could be I'm in error. The viewer said 2050 triangles I thought this is the polycount(believing polies are triangles). I reduced the count of that number mainly:confused:
With the light parts I mean the bright parts:mischief: (my english after 12 hours modding) that's the teeth and the ring in the nose( the ring I think I'll rip of the head too but the teeth I'd like to keep).

Edit: to be exact: Your nobzhead has 1049 Vertices in the viewer and 2081 Triangles. I made another version with a shorter neck and without the ring in the nose now(and I doctored a bit in his mouth:)). The new stats are: Vertices 850, Triangles 787. I think it's pretty useable this way(with the detachable plume it looses some 250+ vertices more, that's pretty for ordinary orcs). So please don't stop posting this stuff(and don't forget the goblins).

Ploeperpengel said:
Could be I'm in error. The viewer said 2050 triangles I thought this is the polycount(believing polies are triangles). I reduced the count of that number mainly:confused:
With the light parts I mean the bright parts:mischief: (my english after 12 hours modding) that's the teeth and the ring in the nose( the ring I think I'll rip of the head too but the teeth I'd like to keep).

Edit: to be exact: Your nobzhead has 1049 Vertices in the viewer and 2081 Triangles. I made another version with a shorter neck and without the ring in the nose now(and I doctored a bit in his mouth:)). The new stats are: Vertices 850, Triangles 787. I think it's pretty useable this way(with the detachable plume it looses some 250+ vertices more, that's pretty for ordinary orcs). So please don't stop posting this stuff(and don't forget the goblins).
No you're right, you're right. I was looking in the wrong place. I'm so stupid, I should've checked which export method (stripped, not stripped) produces less polys - just did a quick check, that head when not stripped comes up with 907 triangles :eek: I'm gonna re-export everything and use whichever has less polys.

Don't know about your other problem but if I get a chance I'll test out your unit today.

The Great Apple said:
Hmmm - I'm pretty sure when you upgrade a unit from a standard choppa boy to a burna boy in the game he gets the mask and goggles. They don't come on the standard choppa boy. It's probably done like the other weapons are.
Well I don't know about the actual game, haven't had a chance to play it but as I mentioned you can remove the goggles and other attachements on the head so it can be a regular choppa boy as well.

I used to model and had several armies. It's really neat to see the different bits. I don't know how to model, or how the art works, but very cool.

Top Bottom