3835 BC - Tiny Map Strategy (well, Theory at this stage)

fret

Prince
I call it ‘3835 BC Tiny Map Strategy’ tentatively, because I haven’t actually achieved that date yet :D , my current best is 1 turn later at 3820 BC, however, I think a 3835 BC Tiny map finish is possible with this strategy.

This strategy is aimed at lower-difficulty HOF games, so its assumed there are only 2 opponents to defeat, and the difficulty level is Monarch or below, however, I don’t see any reason this strat couldn’t be combined with Shadowsong’s strategy for 3835 BC diety dual map fast finish, in theory at least. Now there is a challenge! :crazyeye:

I generally refer to Quechua's below, becuase being a fast finsih game thats the Civ you normally use (especially at Emp and above), but at the mid and lower levels this strategy should be possible with any Civ that starts with a warrior and not a scout.

-----------------------------------

First, you must guess which direction your nearest neighbour is, and send your Settler in that direction. Then send your Quechua in the general direction you guess the other enemy is.

If your Settler hasn’t located the nearest enemy AND settled (in a certain place, see below) by turn 4 (3955 BC) at the very latest, is isn’t theoretically possible so restart. (its often not possible if you havent done this on or before turn 3 (3970 BC))

Why is it important where to settle?

We need to settle either adjacent to, or within 1 tile of the enemy city, and we need to get at least 5 hammers per turn out of our new city from the moment the city is built.

We need all this because we are building a Quechua (that’s right folks! …build something in a 3835 BC game!), and we have to do it in either 5 or 6 turns on Marathon speed setting.

This is only really possible with the following tile/resources combinations (please shout if you know more)…

You need 2 of the following, one being the city square(not the forest one) and one being the worked tile…

Plains/Hills
Plains/Hill/Forest
Plains/Hill/Marble
Plains/Hill/Stone

Plains/Hill and Plains/Hill/Forest is the more likely and frequent combination giving 5 hammers.

Building the Quechua –

With 4 hammers the Quechua will take 8 turns and the strategy isn’t really feasable
With 5 hammers the Quechua will take 6 turns
With 6 hammers the Quechua will take 5 turns

The table below shows when you must settle

Once you have a game where you have the desired start, you then start building a Quechua in the city.

Your original Quechua then keeps heading in the other direction you chose to head in, and if you get lucky and find the second enemy with your original Quechua by 3850 BC, the new Quechua you have built will roll off the production line just in time to take out the first enemy in 3850 BC.

The general idea being that your orignal quechua doesnt have to worry about the first city and can concentrate on heading straight-line towards the farther city (presuming youve guessed the right direction of course :) , as in all 3835BC games)

Or at least, that’s the theory :)

I hope one day someone uses this strat to pull of a 3835 victory, I’ve given up at 3820 BC, but im sure its possible.

Attachments

• civ4-3835-strategy.jpg
    civ4-3835-strategy.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 326
fret said:
I call it ‘3835 BC Tiny Map Strategy’ tentatively, because I haven’t actually achieved that date yet :D , my current best is 1 turn later at 3820 BC, however, I think a 3835 BC Tiny map finish is possible with this strategy.

This strategy is aimed at lower-difficulty HOF games, so its assumed there are only 2 opponents to defeat, and the difficulty level is Monarch or below, however, I don’t see any reason this strat couldn’t be combined with Shadowsong’s strategy for 3835 BC diety dual map fast finish, in theory at least. Now there is a challenge! :crazyeye:

I generally refer to Quechua's below, becuase being a fast finsih game thats the Civ you normally use (especially at Emp and above), but at the mid and lower levels this strategy should be possible with any Civ that starts with a warrior and not a scout.

-----------------------------------

First, you must guess which direction your nearest neighbour is, and send your Settler in that direction. Then send your Quechua in the general direction you guess the other enemy is.

If your Settler hasn’t located the nearest enemy AND settled (in a certain place, see below) by turn 4 (3955 BC) at the very latest, is isn’t theoretically possible so restart. (its often not possible if you havent done this on or before turn 3 (3970 BC))

Why is it important where to settle?

We need to settle either adjacent to, or within 1 tile of the enemy city, and we need to get at least 5 hammers per turn out of our new city from the moment the city is built.

We need all this because we are building a Quechua (that’s right folks! …build something in a 3835 BC game!), and we have to do it in either 5 or 6 turns on Marathon speed setting.

This is only really possible with the following tile/resources combinations (please shout if you know more)…

You need 2 of the following, one being the city square(not the forest one) and one being the worked tile…

Plains/Hills
Plains/Hill/Forest
Plains/Hill/Marble
Plains/Hill/Stone

Plains/Hill and Plains/Hill/Forest is the more likely and frequent combination giving 5 hammers.

Building the Quechua –

With 4 hammers the Quechua will take 8 turns and the strategy isn’t really feasable
With 5 hammers the Quechua will take 6 turns
With 6 hammers the Quechua will take 5 turns

The table below shows when you must settle

Once you have a game where you have the desired start, you then start building a Quechua in the city.

Your original Quechua then keeps heading in the other direction you chose to head in, and if you get lucky and find the second enemy with your original Quechua by 3850 BC, the new Quechua you have built will roll off the production line just in time to take out the first enemy in 3850 BC.

The general idea being that your orignal quechua doesnt have to worry about the first city and can concentrate on heading straight-line towards the farther city (presuming youve guessed the right direction of course :) , as in all 3835BC games)

I hope one day someone uses this strat to pull of a 3835 victory, I’ve given up at 3820 BC, but im sure its possible.
Very good! :goodjob: I like your strat, obvious 5 star from me. :goodjob: Good luck, one day you'll make 3835BC!

Btw is it possible to pop a warrior from a hut in this map? :)

Woah. That's cool. Good luck with getting it beyond the theory stage!

fret said:

Yes, it was an excellent tactic!:goodjob: Of course, it's designed specifically for Quechua "exploit" rush and HoF - the two things that many people hate to hear. I didn't give up on it because I was tired of regenerate map, but because of the constant and endless complains from the anti-HOF members on this forum.

Btw, at lower level, you don't even need Quechua rush, a warrior rush right next to one of the AI city will do just fine.;) Their city is usually empty during these early days.

@ Kalleyao and Cheeze -

Thanks guys! Dont just wish me luck though - have a go yourselves! You might be the lucky one who nails it first :)

@Moonsinger -

Yes, I hear where your coming from. It's a shame that you have given up (but I have to say, something im glad to hear, 1 less formiddable opponent to worry about :mischief: ;) ) Recognition from the peers who understand the style of play are all that is important to me.

Their city is usually empty during these early days.

Yes, upto turn 12 ive its rare to see a defended city at Monarch and below, but occasionally Ive found they have one if their Civ starts with a Scout, they build a warrior first and if their starting city location has 3 hammers from turn 1 they get the warrior built on turn 10. Its sooo frustrating when you are in sight of a 3835 finish and a warrior pops into play at 3850BC. Grrr.

fret said:
Yes, upto turn 12 ive its rare to see a defended city at Monarch and below, but occasionally Ive found they have one if their Civ starts with a Scout, they build a warrior first and if their starting city location has 3 hammers from turn 1 they get the warrior built on turn 10. Its sooo frustrating when you are in sight of a 3835 finish and a warrior pops into play at 3850BC. Grrr.

[whisper]Since it's for HOF, you can pre-select your opponents so that they don't start out with scout.;) Since some people are also against this, I'm trying not to say this aloud.[/whisper]

Actually if they start building on turn 1 and have 3 hammers a turn they'll finish the warrior on turn 7. The AI has a small bonus in that it starts with 10 free hammers when it founds its capital, so in only needs to produce 20 more hammers.

Moonsinger said:
[whisper]Since some people are also against this, I'm trying not to say this aloud.[/whisper]
So because some people hate it you're not going to step up? Where's the attitude?

@fret

I don't have time to play an extremely luck dependent game, but I like your idea. :)

MrCynical said:
Actually if they start building on turn 1 and have 3 hammers a turn they'll finish the warrior on turn 7. The AI has a small bonus in that it starts with 10 free hammers when it founds its capital, so in only needs to produce 20 more hammers.

Nice one, I wasnt aware of that. You never stop learning at this game :)

Although back on the 10 turn thing, I think I might have been getting confused with Archers, on Monarch they always seem to start with archers and build one of those 1st putting a 2nd archer in the city by the time you are arriving.

Kalleyao said:
I don't have time to play an extremely luck dependent game, but I like your idea. :)

Each game only takes 2 minutes! :)

I just grab a spare hour from time to time and have 20 or 30 attempts. You usually get one or two good stomps during a small session.

Kalleyao said:
So because some people hate it you're not going to step up? Where's the attitude?

For some reasons, I no longer care much about winning an arguement or having my last words. If those things are important to people, they can have them. Since my life on this planet is very limitted, I would rather not spend my remainning precious time to argue over the definition of "exploit" or whatever. Sure, it may be fun to stand up and fight for my belief once in awhile, but unless it's really important, I see no shame in letting other people win.

Moonsinger said:
For some reasons, I no longer care much about winning an arguement or having my last words. If those things are important to people, they can have them. Since my life on this planet is very limitted, I would rather not spend my remainning precious time to argue over the definition of "exploit" or whatever.
Limitted? Depnds on your on view. ;) If you remain quiet, people will forget you. Thosewho speak much recive most credit, (usually) cause they get most attention. :D

Moonsinger said:
I see no shame in letting other people win.
:hmm: If you're the opposing side, do you still think this way? :confused:

fret said:
Each game only takes 2 minutes! :)

I just grab a spare hour from time to time and have 20 or 30 attempts. You usually get one or two good stomps during a small session.
I get upset when I don't win after 5 attempts. ;)

Kalleyao said:
Limitted? Depnds on your on view. ;) If you remain quiet, people will forget you. Thosewho speak much recive most credit, (usually) cause they get most attention. :D

I think even if moonsinger never posted again then no-one would forget her scores tbh.

Top Bottom