Votes: 50 55.6%
  • No!

Votes: 40 44.4%

• Total voters

.Shane.

Take it like a voter
Retired Moderator
Source

While his bill has other things attached to it, the main idea is to get rid of pennies by rounding transactions off.

I'm all for it.

While the article mentions the expense to the govt. of making pennies, it doesn't even address the cost to banks, stores, etc... of handling pennies.

Basically, I think $100s of millions of savings in efficiency could be had for the economy.

Didn't read your link, but I heard about it on the radio. Both pennies AND nickles cost more to make than face value. It's time for a cashless society ;)

I think Canada should get rid of it's pennies and nickels. I can't remember the last time I actually used them.

I think we should get rid of them, they just fill up my coin tray in my car, and if i ever try to pay for something with them, I get a dirty look. Don't they cost 1.03 cents to make now? it doesnt make fiscal sense to keep them.

EDIT: 1.4 cents to make! GET RID OF THEM!

They did it with the Euro, right?

I support this, pennies are useless coins.

SuperBeaverInc. said:
I think Canada should get rid of it's pennies and nickels. I can't remember the last time I actually used them.

NICKELS TOO! Now we're getting radical! :)

TBH, I wouldn't mind that either. But, we'd probably have to get rid of quarters then and replace them with 20 cent pieces.

So putting 0.99 on the end of a price would end?

It's going to cost the consumers quite a bit. Not to mention all the businesses reprinting price lists.

SuperBeaverInc. said:

But with a sales tax that's not a nice, round number - they crop up all the time!

.Shane. said:
But, we'd probably have to get rid of quarters then and replace them with 20 cent pieces.

Or you could just use 2 dimes. ;)

CruddyLeper said:
It's going to cost the consumers quite a bit. Not to mention all the businesses reprinting price lists.

They would round down if ending in 1, 2, 6 or 7 and up if 3, 4, 8, or 9.

Businesses would come out ahead in the end because of the $$ saved from the handling of pennies.

Ditto the sales tax argument. Rounding would take care of it.

Drop the penny and put Lincoln on the dime.

.Shane. said:
Ditto the sales tax argument. Rounding would take care of it.

Sounds like a good idea. It would only cost the consumer an additional few cents, and would still allow for nice, round prices.

SuperBeaverInc. said:
Sounds like a good idea. It would only cost the consumer an additional few cents, and would still allow for nice, round prices.

It wouldn't cost them anything as when you round down, its in their favor.

It costs 1.4 cents to make a penny? That's ridiculous. They should either figure out a cheaper way to make them (Use some form of zinc-plastic alloy if you have to - yes, we're now reduced to seriously considering coins made out of plastic. ;) ) One part of the article confused me, however:

The bill does, however, call for various commemorative currencies, including a dollar coin and a $2 bill.
I heard that they stopped make the Sacajawa dollar because no one would spend it, but you still find one occasionally. But there is still a $2 bill in circulation, you can get one at any bank; I have several just for novelty reasons. How would this bill be special?

Elrohir said:
I heard that they stopped make the Sacajawa dollar because no one would spend it, but you still find one occasionally. But there is still a $2 bill in circulation, you can get one at any bank; I have several just for novelty reasons. How would this bill be special?

Actually Sacajawea (sp?) dollars are widely used in the vending machine industry.

Also, economically, it would be smart to get rid of $1 bills in favor of $1 coins.

warpus said:
My own 2 cents

What would become of this phrase then? My own 5 cents? :confused:

.Shane. said:
Actually Sacajawea (sp?) dollars are widely used in the vending machine industry.

Also, economically, it would be smart to get rid of $1 bills in favor of $1 coins.

Why is that, wouldn't a $1 coin cost more.

You have reprint bills. Bills become unusable with age; coins in general do not unless intentionally destroyed. Security measures used in bills may also make them cost more (just conjecture).

woody60707 said:
Why is that, wouldn't a $1 coin cost more.

Yes and no. They cost like 14 cents to produce but they last many many many times longer than a one dollar bill.

Top Bottom