Final Fantasy Model - Magitek Armor (7/20/06)

Dual

Gun Mage
Here is a war machine from the game Final Fantasy 6 (FF 3 in the US). Magitek Armor is basically a war mech that operates on magical energy. Here's a wikipedia entry dealing with it HERE.

This is a model I've been working on little by little for the last few months. Partly it took so long because I've been so busy with other things, but also because I've been using the model to experiment with animating.

So, as a result, this is my first model to have its own custom animations instead of re-using the Firaxis work.

Magitek1.jpg Magitek2.jpg

The model has a polygon count of 1784, and it supports teamcolor on the pilot.

The attack animation is melee, so the unit should be set up as melee instead of ranged.

And this is how I recommend setting up the CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml file entry for the unit:

Code:
		<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_MAGITEK_ARMOR</Type>
				<fScale>0.75</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>0.80</fInterfaceScale>
			<NIF>Art/Units/MAGITEK_ARMOR/Magi_Tek.nif</NIF>
			<KFM>Art/Units/MAGITEK_ARMOR/Magi_Tek.kfm</KFM>
			<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/MAGITEK_ARMOR/Magi_Tek_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>0.8</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
			<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
			<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
			<bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
			<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
			</AudioRunSounds>
			<SelectionSound>AS3D_UN_TANK_FORT</SelectionSound>
			<ActionSound>AS3D_UN_TANK_FORT</ActionSound>
		</UnitArtInfo>

Attachments

• MAGITEK_ARMOR.zip
    273.3 KB · Views: 507
Terrific jump back into the unit making Dual. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to pick your brain about animating. :D

edit - What would the poly count be without the rider? Say a dome over the cockpit instead?

strategyonly said:
Very neat, but the guy inside looks like a "weeble." Nice for the first try. Keep up the good work.

:lol: Yeah, I'm not very good at modeling people yet. But I thought the machine would look strange fighting without a pilot, so I put a simple figure in it.

woodelf said:
Terrific jump back into the unit making Dual.

I can't wait to pick your brain about animating.

edit - What would the poly count be without the rider? Say a dome over the cockpit instead?

Thanks, the rider is around 300 polygons. A dome would add a number of polygons back, but would probably still be less.

I assume the dome is for the moon? :D

keldath said:
very nice - i belive its the first "mech" unit for civ4...

i like it - mabe you can make a darker skin and no pilot?

I'll leave the skinning to other people, as it's pretty simple to change the color to whatever you want using the dds file I included.

As for the pilot, I might release a different version with an inclosed cockpit in the future. Like what Woodelf was asking about.

Awesome work Dual! :goodjob:

So I guess that guy is environmentaly friendly, seeing how he's green and all :D
*thank you, thank you, I'll be here throughout the weekend*

Oh and I love the driver, he looks like he's from Lego, which reminds me, it would be totally awesome if somebody made an all Lego mod! :crazyeye:

Oooh, and is it just me or does the top view looks like a Mr. Potato Head :lol:

I just crack myself up...

It's sad really...

:lol: Seems like you're in an extra silly mood tonight Rabbit. :beer:

And now that you mention it, the driver does look like one of those lego people. I used to play with legos all the time when I was younger. :cool:

This is "cual" Dual ;)

The thing I don't like about it is the color ... didn't the magitek armors come in different colors? Maybe if you could provide some darker, less-environmentally-friendly skins it would look better :)

Shqype said:
This is "cual" Dual ;)

The thing I don't like about it is the color ... didn't the magitek armors come in different colors? Maybe if you could provide some darker, less-environmentally-friendly skins it would look better :)

Yeah, there were several different colors that the armor had in the game. Including a very dark, black version in the opening video of the playstation re-release.

The green and yellow is just my favorite of them all, so that's how I textured it. I guess I like it because it gives the machine a bit of a construction vehicle look. :crazyeye:

The unit has its texture stored in a dds file, like the origional Civ 4 units. So it's a simple matter for anyone who wants to change the color to do so for themselves.

Aw, shucks. I was hoping you'de "pull a Chalid" and include several version of your mechanical dragon, Magitek Armor :D

Top Bottom