Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > OTHER GAMES > Never Ending Stories

Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:28 AM   #421
das
Regeneration In Process

Well, fortunately alex is correcting that little slip of yours now...
"Her Majesty has terrible dreams. She sees England as a small country that lives in peace, and no one at the court dares tell her that Rome started out the same way. His Catholic Majesty was once content with ruling half the world; I am afraid we will have to take all of it." - Humphrey Gilbert
"I am not at all a friend of humanity, Viscount replied. I am the enemy of its enemies." - S. Vititsky, "The Search for Designation, or the Twenty Seventh Theorem of Ethics".

天命
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:29 AM   #422
Kal'thzar
Deity

Something tells me he ain't
Kal'thzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:32 AM   #423
LittleBoots
The Bloody Banner

Meh, the exoduses would be more realistic if all these nations were still tribes, that happened a lot when the big bad steppe peoples would come into Germany and Eastern Europe every once in a while for tea.

As for more established examples? Usually its more of a diaspora than an organized exodus. I guess Israeli kingdoms come to mind, though I'm no expert there. The split up of the Valins actually makes a lot of sense to me, one exodus got broken up all over the place into a lot of smaller countries.

Nurmafer's makes a little bit of sense if Kal told them to migrate. Reference the established Native Americans being forced into different lands by colonists.

Also, some of the Iberian jostling in the Dark Ages was similar to this, but they didn't move that much. Kingdom of Asturia, successor to visigoths, changed around quite a bit, but still in the same area.

But I babble. I'm not protected the exoduses, just providing some examples. Tear them to shreds if they're wrong, I'd rather learn than think I'm right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlayli
(exodusi?)
Not to nitpick, but it'd be Exodi if you wanted to be Roman.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:45 AM   #424
das
Regeneration In Process

Quote:
I guess Israeli kingdoms come to mind, though I'm no expert there.
Ahem. They had civil wars and were conquered. And even then, pretty much all of them stayed in place - the Babylonians had to drag them away to send them into exodus. And even then, it took several more devastating conquests and enslavements to get the Jews to actually start spreading around the world.

And that was one of the occassions that came the closest!
"Her Majesty has terrible dreams. She sees England as a small country that lives in peace, and no one at the court dares tell her that Rome started out the same way. His Catholic Majesty was once content with ruling half the world; I am afraid we will have to take all of it." - Humphrey Gilbert
"I am not at all a friend of humanity, Viscount replied. I am the enemy of its enemies." - S. Vititsky, "The Search for Designation, or the Twenty Seventh Theorem of Ethics".

天命
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:19 AM   #425
North King
Royal Cartographer

Aeneas might qualify, though his was more one noble fleeing and establishing a new nation (if the legend is true, in any case)... Quetzalcoatl of the Toltecs is a much better one--leaving with all of his followers on ships--though his empire that he conquered then again mostly consisted of Maya subjects... But yeah, it happens a little too much.

But I know what you mean, Iggy. If I had been thinking straight, the Portuguese exodus in stNNES7 should've failed as well; it's simply too far to lug an entire populace. In all honesty, the most that should happen is the above examples: a leader flees, perhaps with his armies, but they don't completely resettle a nation of their own people; it mostly consists of conquered subjects.
The EoE wiki.
North King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:22 AM   #426
Kal'thzar
Deity

I.e. White Malay in DisNES. The Conquorers provide the new Elite?
Kal'thzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:33 AM   #427
das
Regeneration In Process

That one does happen fairly often. Not as often with the exodii.

天命
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:05 AM   #428
Contempt
The Barbarian Warlord

Orders will be sent later today. So tired...

Horace
Contempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:36 AM   #429
Lord_Iggy
Three Lines of Symmetry

@emu- Only a small part of your population fled, the large majority remained, resisted, and were occupied.

@das- Nortugal...

Yeah, the leader with a different people is what happened with the Citadel.

Starting update now, BTW. I'll do non-Lengel stuff first.

Sorry if it may come late. I've got several things slowing me down:

1. My best friend is moving away in a few days.
2. I have to fix several brass instruments for my band teacher.
3. I'm doing a correspondance course, as I've said before, and I have to put in about 6 hours a day in order to finish it before I'm back in school.
4. JalNES.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:40 AM   #430
jalapeno_dude
AKA Panda Judo Eel

Quote:
Yeah, the leader with a different people is what happened with the Citadel.
It was more of a character type than a people, though. The Prophet managed to travel through most of the known countries, and attracted people as he went.
-2.25, -6.31 (2004) --> 1.12, -6.67 (2008) on the Political Compass Questionnaire | Ranked #244 in postcount- for now!
Citadel in LINESII | Ormash in DNES2 | Sedaya in BirdNES 2
Greatest Power as Terra Trifluentia in FarowNES02
6 Gold, 2 Bronze Medals as Eldrania and the Citadel of Knowledge in LINESII
3 Silver Medals (Most Good, Richest, Survivors) as Hawaii in LINES:World of Magic
Check out Steph's Strategic Simulation and Hail Caesar! Avatar from Digital Blasphemy
jalapeno_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:41 AM   #431
das
Regeneration In Process

Quote:
@das- Nortugal...
Yes, that and tossitrek. But I do learn from my mistakes.

天命
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:52 AM   #432
Lord_Iggy
Three Lines of Symmetry

Then let me make a few mistakes and let us all assume that the Exodian Ocean is unusually easy to cross.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:53 AM   #433
North King
Royal Cartographer

Can we call it the Pacific, then? Or maybe go further, and call it the "Conducive Ocean". Hmm... Doesn't quite roll off the tongue. How about, "Pleasurecruise Sea?"

The EoE wiki.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:55 AM   #434
Kentharu
Zebra Commander

If you wanted a real NES make a military coup and take over the government of your country, if not, then it don't really matter

#nes For arrogant douches only.
Kentharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:58 AM   #435
Symphony D.
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by das
Yes, that and tossitrek. But I do learn from my mistakes.
Lurker's Comment I was fully expecting him to make it to northern Scandinavia and raise a mighty Viking scourge in retribution for having been killed so many times...
This forum is afraid of me... I have seen its true face. The threads are extended gutters and the gutters are full of opinions and when the pages finally spill over, all the posters will 404. The accumulated filth of all their posts and egos will foam up about their cursors and all the gimmick-accounts and attention-seekers will look up and typo "Saev us!"... and I'll look down and quick reply "lol."
Symphony D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:02 PM   #436
Lord_Iggy
Three Lines of Symmetry

Quote:
Can we call it the Pacific, then? Or maybe go further, and call it the "Conducive Ocean". Hmm... Doesn't quite roll off the tongue. How about, "Pleasurecruise Sea?"
Exodian is fine.

Starting updating the Peripheral nations now.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:03 PM   #437
North King
Royal Cartographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Iggy
Exodian is fine.
Given that I don't have a border with it, you don't need to worry.
The EoE wiki.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:05 PM   #438
jalapeno_dude
AKA Panda Judo Eel

Did we ever end up with a name for our continent?
-2.25, -6.31 (2004) --> 1.12, -6.67 (2008) on the Political Compass Questionnaire | Ranked #244 in postcount- for now!
3 Silver Medals (Most Good, Richest, Survivors) as Hawaii in LINES:World of Magic
Check out Steph's Strategic Simulation and Hail Caesar! Avatar from Digital Blasphemy
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:09 PM   #439
Lord_Iggy
Three Lines of Symmetry

Not yet, no.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:12 PM   #440
jalapeno_dude
AKA Panda Judo Eel

Looking through my old orders, I believe I proposed Galasia, though I don't quite know why.