The Quest for Islam

RegentMan

Deity
I have a kooky idea: how about we attempt to go after divine right and found Islam? We surprisingly have no religions in our cities, so what better way to remedy this other than founding one ourselves?

Building our shrine will greatly aid our economy, and we'll finally be able to use our religious civics.

How to accomplish this? Well, I suggest switiching to divine right immediately. Boost the science rate up to 40%. That'll lower the time to 27 turns. We would then have to devote everything into getting this tech, including deficit spending as time goes on.

Thoughts?

There has been talk of getting religion for eons now - goes back even before the Mongol War. Bout time we actually do something about it.

Problem is, we've been burned before going after religion when our research was too slow. First we should see who has the pre-reqs and try to guess if they are already researching it.

Not that it's a bad idea of course. I thought we did a trade a couple of weeks ago with the express purpose of going after Divine Right, evidently it wasn't carried through?

Happiness can be generated in other ways...we have high culture. Skip the religion. We dont need to make people mad at us because we have a religion they dont. Teh turns at Islam woudl be better spent getting something to boost our power or commerce

Religions can generate cash too, if you get a Great Prophet and build the shrine for the religion. I think it's +2 per city with the religion, plus some kind of bonus for each building. However, it's awfully late in the game, and spreading our religion might be quite difficult.

It's a good point that religion can harm AI relations. Many of the combinations are -4 on the relation meter. Wars can start over 4 points. Well, not usually due to just the 4 points, but if they already have a reason to go after you, like being way more powerful... :eek:

We get +1 :gold: from each city that has our state religion. And if we build the Spiral Minaret (also available with Divine Right), we get +1 :gold: from each state religion building. That's at least 3 :gold: per native city. :drool:

Peter's just itching to get some religion in his lands. He'd be our faithful ally if he were exposed to the wisdom of Islam. Bismarck could also like us more. A +4 on the relation meter for good religions is just as beneficial.

If we make our continent Muslim, who cares about the -4 "We're upset that you've fallen sway to a heathen religion!"? If Montezuma is any indication, his continent is nowhere near Divine Right (he's still lacking Theology). Our continent is a mixture of having engineering and music. If we put all of our efforts into getting Divine Right, I think we can do it.

For Islam!

We need to figure out where we are heading..all this what if and missing is what caused us problems since term 1...sometimes its better to play less risky and take calculated risks that yeild benefits.

We are no where near getting a Great prophet nor do we really have the time to see 2 religious buildings in every city. Its a waste of hammer to build monestaries all over we dont need culture adn not every city makes enough beakers to be beneficial. Its hardly worth the 1 gold and happy face to build temples now. The production you lose building the temples coudl be use in military units. Each of those would provide protection and can pillage more than you can get from the temples and mineret. You wouldnt get any great prophets till roughly 33 turns after a temple so take that into consideration....we cant wait 30 plus turns for commerce. Right now..building courthouses and the forbidden palace saves us more money than this proposal makes.

but we can build courthouses and the forbidden palace and still research divine right. If we found a religion and spread it through out our continent it will improve our relations with neighbors. That seems important now.

Sure we can donsig...I dint mean to imply we couldnt. I just think we are better spent gettingotehr more important techs.

Thats a big committement to a religion we may not get. Divine Right in itself is not that great of a tech, other than the religion it doesnt really give anything.

guilds (grocer=+25%:gold:)-banking(bank=+50%gold + mercantilism)

Even though doing all this may seem like a good idea, but if we do found Islam, it would damage long term relations, and I believe that one of our top victory options were Diplomacy. This would effectivley throw out this option. We arent going to win culture, conquest and domination are pretty unlikley, which leaves us with the Space Race. Do we really think that we can win that? Before we go for fixing our economy and improving trade relations on the continet, we may want to think about the long run.

dutchfire said:
guilds (grocer=+25%:gold:)-banking(bank=+50%gold + mercantilism)

bingo..You got it. :) Gold and commerce wins this game.(Civ4 in general hmmm look whats above the "4" on a US keyboard...$) We have done a poor job getting our economy up and running. IF we fix that everything else will fall into place.

You DO NOT need a religion to win. In fact its better to use all the religions when you are spiritual. You just have to get them to spread to us... You manipulate your state religion to suit who you need to be your friend. Sucking up isnt a bad thing. :)

If you dont play Civ4 in an economic mode or you cant get your economy running..your only choice is to get to a certain point. Shut off research and start kicking butt.

Top Bottom