Dwarves

Arexack_heretic

Emperor
They seem a bit under-developed.
And I can find no thread here about them.

My idea is two-sided:
1-Dwarven cities yield 400% more gold when pillaged/plundered.
2-Dwarves are very good at city/hill defence.

I think perhaps a 400% gold yeild is a tad high, try 150% more, 200% perhaps.

yes, i think dwarves should get a city improvement which increases defence, but can only be built in cities on hills or mountains.

I think Citis should be able to be built in mountains.

i think dwarves should also get tunnels, like what you said with the skaven, but the dwarves should not get any of that infiltrating stuff. keep that for the Skaven

Dwarves should get exra gold and food from hills and mountains.

They should have access to a special 'mushroom resource found in mountain and forest squares. (gobbos could have access to this also)

thats all for now:)

I'll probably add hill attack and defenseboni for dwarves. Also we should discuss mountaincities and all that here. But first I want more models for this civ before I start to work on them. But yes you can already start the brainstorm if you want;)

One should have more reason to attack the dwarves than just "He said my wine tasted like piss!"
As Dwarven cities are located in mountainranges, others would find them unappealing to live in. Argh starvation!
Gold would be a good reason to attack them anyhow.

Dwarf AI should be quite belligerent easy to anger and hold a grudge forever. ;)

Just had a thought about the rise and fall of civs in the WHF world.

Elves and Dwarves had early big empires, battles with orcs devastated them and humans were opportunistic to take the fallow lands.

Attrition

Elves and dwarves have slow reproductive rates, but long lifespans.
Humans and orcs reproduce like rabbits, but have the lifespan of flies.
Lets asume on average this gives a similar populationgrowth.

If longlived races can only create units by conscription, big high attrition wars would mimic the fall of the elven dominance as described in WHF.

Replacement warriors would cut dearly into the populace of D/E .

This costlyness of units, would also merrit their units being stronger early on.
Early advantage in growth (no disease) could be given to E/D from them being non-reliant on irrigation for food.

I like the cavefood idea. :) Could it be those mushrooms stunt your growth? (dwarves/goblins are short) ;)

edit: I don't understand: why wait for models, I think the gameplay, unittypes, tech and balance should be correct first. ?

The reason I wait for models to start work is theres still so much to be done for civs I already got models for. This mod started off with a big artteam but we never had enough manpower with the coding stuff. Currently only Olleus and El Loco Mono do the scripting and both are busy with other code. Also the xml alone still needs a lot of work therefore my advice be patient.

Edit: I'm not telling you this because I want to stop you posting ideas- on the contrary I really like some- it's just that even the simpliest changes to civ take often hours of work and therefore it's important to focus on tasks at hand else nothing gets done. That said it's good you started the brainstorm but until after we get some models and did improve some other aspects of the game like magic and religion first there won't be much done with dwarves and skaven. So just don't expect anything to happen fast that's all;)

hehe

Point taken and well understood. :goodjob:
I also have another project to finish before I can start helping out in earnest here. (kinda bogged down project :( )

I appologise for any thing I mention that has already been mentioned too many times already on these forums.
I just want to brainstorm out alot of ideas before I read those already made by others. Fresh point of view and all. :lol:

I'm really impressed by what seems to be possible to mod in civ4, I'm used to much tighter constrictions on what is possible. :D
So my expectations of what is possible may have been shifted from conservative to phantastic. ;)

OOO!
I just thought about the WFB seabattles game...Man-o-war? Can't really recall what it was called.
Did you think of that game also, for model ideas?
The ships of non-humans were a bit over the top though.
With the posible exception of the Sylvan elves. Actually Empire ships sucked too. ;)
edit: yes manowar has been mentioned. ;)

well, i have also made work on Dwarf city art, but its hard to find much decent dwarven buildings (ie, above ground;) ) so alot of the stuf i have at the moment is from my imagination, and its not that good. so if you happen to come across any dwaf building ideas, please post some:)

How about cairns?

Maybe all dwarven cities should be big mountains, with pillars and gates. ;)
Stupid underground dwarves.
Maybe you could draw ideas from Epic stuntie scenery buildings?

how would you make the cities into a big mountain though? thats the question.

what do you mean Epic stuntie scenary buildings? do you mean the game Epic, and by stuntie you mean dwarf? could you post a screenie or link?

have a big mountain as castle?
yes and yes. :)
I would have to scan them from one of my books probably.

well, if i made the palace as a big mountain castle, and then hade some smaller mounds and mountanins as the other buildings, that could be interesting, but that means only the capital has a big mountain city, and the other cities will have knobbly hilly cities.

The Warhammer RPG Dwarf compandium has some great background info as well as some outside pictures of Dwarven Holds.

However they are still entrances to big mountains...:/

Whatever you do, keep two things in mind.
1) Ground hugging stout buildings.
2) Keltish/Norse style decorations and runes.
oh 3 Dwarfs are small, but they build big. (big enough for giants)

-Dwarves could have a bonus on research(scientific flavour?)...ensuring their technical superiority.
-Second flavour could be mechantilism/trade. "They rather trade for foods from humans, so they can indulge in more rewarding enterprises"
-A small bonus for getting food out of hills or a smaller food requirement instead.

In WH dwarf 'outside art' commonly shows stylised dwarven heads, reliefs depicting celtic weaves and axes/hammers etc.

or levelable mines, like villages, giving a small bonus of money/food after x turns.

Top Bottom