Elimination game: The best UU!

SkippyT

Who?
This is my third elimination game. My first was “The best Civ”, the next one was “New Civs” and now I’m making this thread about Unique units. Somehow I get the feeling Praetorians will win..but anything can happen! Persia won “The best Civ” and Polynesia was in 2nd to 3rd place in “New Civs”.
I hope this will be fun and for those who haven’t played my games, here are the rules:

Each civ starts with 5 points.
You will vote for 1 UU you like the most
and
1 UU you dislike the most :)

Every positive vote gives +1 point
while every negative vote gives -2 points

Not too hard, eh :)
So let the games begin
...with my votes!

Viking Berserker +1
Korean Hwatch'a +1
American Navy SEAL -2
Celtic Gallic Warrior -2

and..my second set:
Viking Berserker +1
Inca Quechua +1
Egyptian War Chariot -2
Malinese Skirmisher -2

and my third:
Viking Berserker +1
Korean Hwatch'a +1
Chinese Cho-Ko-Nu -2
Ottoman Janissary -2

and fourth and final set of votes:
Russian Cossack +1
Chinese Cho-Ko-Nu -2

Final position:

1st place - English Redcoat
2nd place - Russian Cossack
3rd place - Chinese Cho-Ko-Nu
4th place - Indian Fast Worker
5th place - Viking Berserker
6th place - Ottoman Janissary
7th place - Korean Hwatch'a
8th place - Numidian Cavalry
9th place - Japanese Samurai
10th place - Roman Praetorian
11th place - Spanish Conquistador
12th place - Malinese Skirmisher
13th place - Mongol Keshik
14th place - Zulu Impi
15th place - Persian Immortal
16th place - Arabian Camel Archer
17th place - Inca Quechua
18th place - Egyptian War Chariot
19th place - German Panzer
20th place - Greek Phalanx
21st place - Aztec Jaguar
22nd place - French Musketeer
23rd place - American Navy SEAL
24th place - Celtic Gallic Warrior

Voters: Myself (three times), Hitti-Litti (three times), Bongo-Bongo (three times), Mischief (three times), Stylesrj, Bast (three times), synthboy (three times), Lord Olleus, puglover, Thedrin (three times), achilleszero, sirtommygunn (three times), Tekee (three times), dpaajones (twice), Samurai 2006 (twice), Lord Orpon, mbye, Swedishguy (four times), Thorvald of Lym (twice), flamingzaroc121 (three times), Ceritoglu, Xtream_Rockstar (three times), LDiCesare, Hian the Frog, Galileo44, Piemaster, Civ4Rocks, Stylesrj, zooropa86, Arlborn, pukii (twice), eric_, MartinhoMukanga (twice), SuperBeaverInc., Canterbury (three times), PaganPaulWhisky (twice), babypacman , King Flevance, Cabledawg, napoleonbee, D'Artagnan59, sepamu, A+ombomb, TM Moot, shivute and drkodos :D
A total of: 76 sets of votes!

PS. Please don't vote for eliminated UUs ;)

And keep voting for your favourites folks ;)

+ --> Praetorians and Janissary

- --> Musketeer and Gallic Warrior

Why Musketeer? I almost always go to Rifling/Military Tradition after Gunpowder so I have little use to them, cavalry is as fast as musketeer and rifleman is just better

+ Redcoat
+ Numidian Cavalry

- Gallic Warrior
- Navy Seal

Why does a negative vote take away two points? Does not seem fair now does it?

+ Navy SEAL, Fast Worker
- Musketeer, Gallic Warrior

Why does everyone hate the SEAL? You should use your negative votes on something like the Gallic Warrior or the Musketeer

Negatives, why i chose em (because I haven't tried em and I couldn't find one I really hated):
I hate the Gallic Warrior because I've never used it and that people are saying it has a promotion that the Dun can get other units so it's not really needed. Musketeer is useless because I don't play as the French and that muskets don't last long when Rifling is around the corner.

Positives (ones I've tried the most and liked the most):
Fast worker because it's, well fast...

The Navy Seal (as you can see by my avatar) is good because I like playing as the Americans and the Navy SEAL is built more often than Tanks for some reason by me and I like using it a lot in battle and get upset when it loses. It can also be used to defend citites after conquest as it gets bonuses and when the time takes you, you can use it's first strikes, March and amphibious to ruin the enemy's day

Seriuosly, what's wrong with the Navy SEAL? I know Tanks are the way to go, but when it comes to a Civ with a non-expiring unique uint, you might as well use it. I remember in regular Civ IV, with the patch, every infantry unit upgraded to Mech Infantry. Quite annoying

EDIT: I base my opinions off most units by how cool they look, and also of what they can do up against enemy units that are far weaker than my forces. All negative votes should go to units that truly deserve a negative vote. Why give a negative vote to a unit that comes later in the game when you have early UU's that are much worse. Is it because the later unit cannot be upgraded, so you're stuck with it, even though you could build something else like a Tank or a Modern Armor?

+ Redcoat (enough has been written about the awesome power of this unit to warrent it's only site)
+ Quechua (used to think they were naff, tried them out, that'll be two civs out the way before we hit 0 AD)

- Jaguar (only useful if you don't have iron and have plenty of jungle which you'll end up chopping anyway)
- Phalanx (just too defensive for me)

+ Preatorian, Preatorian. No one said couldn't vote for the same UU twice :D

-- Musketeer, Jaguar

Stylesrj said:
Seriuosly, what's wrong with the Navy SEAL? I know Tanks are the way to go, but when it comes to a Civ with a non-expiring unique uint, you might as well use it. I remember in regular Civ IV, with the patch, every infantry unit upgraded to Mech Infantry. Quite annoying

EDIT: I base my opinions off most units by how cool they look, and also of what they can do up against enemy units that are far weaker than my forces. All negative votes should go to units that truly deserve a negative vote. Why give a negative vote to a unit that comes later in the game when you have early UU's that are much worse. Is it because the later unit cannot be upgraded, so you're stuck with it, even though you could build something else like a Tank or a Modern Armor?

The reason that I dislike the Navy SEAL is that I think it comes far too late to be of any use. By the time the SEAL is researched, the game is generally pretty much won or lost.

Yeah but you shouldn't solely base the idea that it comes later as a reason to hate it. If that is the case, then you should hate the Panzer, because that comes late in the game too you know. I hate the Panzer, but not that much, it's bad because it's only good against other Tanks and when I have Panzers, the enemies are still working out how muskets work and are shooting longbows at my soldiers

I don't care about how late my game is, as long as I have the technological advantage and the money ot easily conquer my foes, I'm happy, even if it does mean 3000 less points because I delayed my war

Also, Tanks and Artillery come late in the game, I don't see people having a hate towards them because they're late units too, they come with the same tech as SEALs and Marines

+ Redcoat
+ Praetorian

- Keshik
- War Chariot

List updated on post #1

Hitti-Litti said:
+ --> Praetorians and Janissary

- --> Musketeer and Gallic Warrior

Why Musketeer? I almost always go to Rifling/Military Tradition after Gunpowder so I have little use to them, cavalry is as fast as musketeer and rifleman is just better

But you voted Janissary and they comes with Gunpowder! :lol:
I agree with you that Musketeers and Janissaries should come earlier or Riflemen later :rolleyes: :)

Stylesrj said:
Why does a negative vote take away two points? Does not seem fair now does it?

To balance things. The game would take ages if the negative vote would only give -1 in stead of -2 ;)

Lord Olleus said:
+ Preatorian, Preatorian. No one said couldn't vote for the same UU twice :D

-- Musketeer, Jaguar

That's right - nobody said you couldn't vote twice :)

Yeah, but Janissary beats even promoted maceman, coz it has a bonus against melee, archery and mounted units

+ Keshik - fun unit.
+ War Chariot - same reason

- Quecha for restricting game play. If you don't do an early rush its a useless unit. The AI doesn't benefit from them.
- Impi. Makes a good pillager. If you don't have horses. And if your opponent doesn't have metal. Doesn't happen often enough.

Stylesrj:
I hate the Gallic Warrior because I've never used it and that people are saying it has a promotion that the Dun can get other units so it's not really needed.

This misconception annoys me because its so common. The Dun only grants guerilla I to units that can access it regularly - not to melee units.

Stylesrj said:
Yeah but you shouldn't solely base the idea that it comes later as a reason to hate it. If that is the case, then you should hate the Panzer, because that comes late in the game too you know. I hate the Panzer, but not that much, it's bad because it's only good against other Tanks and when I have Panzers, the enemies are still working out how muskets work and are shooting longbows at my soldiers

I don't care about how late my game is, as long as I have the technological advantage and the money ot easily conquer my foes, I'm happy, even if it does mean 3000 less points because I delayed my war

Also, Tanks and Artillery come late in the game, I don't see people having a hate towards them because they're late units too, they come with the same tech as SEALs and Marines

I hear you on this. Everybody that hates on the navy seal either must never play as america or only play on pangeae. They are very powerful if used right. Eight of them can take out the bulk of 2-3 civs on the other continent. Most of my games are close to being decided before I get them but the game is over a few turns after I do get them. I admit Iwish they were tweaked a little or that they came with assembly line but I think people hate the seal far the same reason they hate everything about the American civ and America in general.

As for the main topic:
+Preatorian, Navy SEAL
-Gaelic Warrior, Musketeer

As much as i hate Romans I must say that they are the Single Funniest CIVilization to play, so i will not Vote Negative for prat
+ Prat
+Cossack (Romantic ain't they?:D )
- Redcoat ( Cossack's Worst Nightmare)
- Panzer ( I don't think I ever warred with Tanks, but then again I only won Space Race)

Top Bottom