B29 Superfortress

TVA22

King
As promised in my B29 nuclear bomber thread, here is a completed graphics set for a conventional B29 bomber. It has a death animation, default, run, and machine gun attack animation.
Call the unit "Superfortress"
Hope you all enjoy.

One more thing-- I've found something interesting, that I don't know if anyone else has posted. If you set a bomber to have the "bombard" ability, not the "bombing" ability, your bombers will be unable to attack from carriers, and will have to be launched from land. Particularly for world map scenarios, this may be useful. It would add a lot more strategy to trying to bomb an isolated nation, as you couldn't simply load up bombers onto a carrier and drive them up to your enemy's shores. Rather, you'd have to secure bases from which to bomb, which of course brings to my mind the US strategy in the pacific war. The only down side is that when you launch a bombard mission, the computer will tell you "artillery bombardment (__________)" rather than, "bombing run (__________)." That's kind of annoying, but worth it to me. It would certainly be great to add this for multiplayer world map games. Also, this would allow us to make fighter bombards more powerful, and also increase the strength of bombers, without making them totally unbeatable. In effect, we could get a closer model for the impact of air power on modern warfare, at least in my opinion.

Attachments

• superfortress.zip
    197 KB · Views: 1,175
TVA22 WZUP. Hey i was looking at your Kamikaze animations and thought the KamikazeDeath.flc would make a cool animation for bombers attack animation. I tried to get it to work with regular bombers with no luck as I am very much new to computers. It doesn't show the plane so maybe it could work(Hint-tell if possible? :D ). Good idea on switching bombers from bombing to bombard will try that in next game. I switched the fighters animations for victory from bomb.flc to their attack .flc so the fighters strafe. Well just a thought someone might like. Great unit :love: your work!!!!! Thanx!!!:cool:

You mean the part where the kamikaze dives in? If you were thinking of using that like as a dive bomber animation, I'd already considered it--using something like that for a stuka maybe... It's a good idea for sure, glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought of it!

Originally posted by TVA22
You mean the part where the kamikaze dives in? If you were thinking of using that like as a dive bomber animation, I'd already considered it--using something like that for a stuka maybe... It's a good idea for sure, glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought of it!

Yeah the part where it dives in, the explosion is really cool!! Can that be used for bombers then instead of their normal bomb run?:cool: :cool:

I believe I just used the regular old cruise missle explosion for that, but sure, you could easily make that the bomber bombing animation.

If you give a unit the Nuke flag but not the ICBM or Tactical Missile flag, will it nuke where it bombards but not die? This would be a good way to simulate the SAC.

If you set the bombers to not load (unclick the load attribute) it won't be able to even get on the carrier. And then you don't have to worry about the bombard with artillery issue.

Maybe this is a stupid question, and I know I could just go test it myself, but I'm working on a new unit, but if you set it so that it can't load, will it still be able to be "re-based" to the carrier?

Originally posted by TVA22
Maybe this is a stupid question, and I know I could just go test it myself, but I'm working on a new unit, but if you set it so that it can't load, will it still be able to be "re-based" to the carrier?

No they won't rebase to a carrier. I have all of my bombers set this way. The load attribute says that the unit you are trying to use will not be able to "load"/rebase on a unit that will allow it carry (meaning a naval carrier in this case). The only thing that I have coming off/on carriers are fighters, me-262 (my midpoint jet), jet fighters, F-15, stealth fighters.

'. . . but I unclicked the 'Load' button for bombers but they were still able to re-base to carriers.

Has anyone else been able to do this? Maybe I'll start a new game with my modded *.bic file and try again.

As an aside, in my mod I have following stats for my bombers:
Bomber:
10 Shields
9 Bomb Strength
3 ROF
6 Range

Stealth Bomber:
24 Shields
10 Bomb Strength
3 ROF
7 Range
Stealth

B-29 (made it come with Rocketry):
24 Shields
16 Bomb Strength
3 ROF
8 Range
3 Defence

How did you guys set it up? Bear in mind I switched all my fighter stats around too; I had hoped to make bombers land based only and have the Stealth Fighters and F-15s as the main carrier 'bombers', but I can't get the Load command to work.

Edit: Nope, no luck. Removed the 'Load' Command and bombers can still re-base to carriers

After you unclicked the load button did you start a new game with the modified rules ? 1.21 saves the rules in the save file so you can't modify the rules for an existing game.

I also would like to see a preview. The proper large and small .pcx files for the civilopedia would be a nice bonus. I also noticed this didn't seem to make it into Lab Monkey's unit library thread.

I think the bombers on carriers issue was solved in another thread, but for any one planning to give bombard instead of bombing to their planes they should be aware that it is imposible to air intercept a bombard, so making air superiority missions pointless. Thats a very bad thing to do cos the whole point of bombing being different to bombard is so you can intercept them.

Ok, as you requested, here is a preview of this unit.
Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• superfortressrun.gif
    superfortressrun.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 2,137
I gotta admit just from the looks of this unit and everything you've talked about, this is a impressive unit!!! Great job TVA22, I can't wait to play with it, if I can ever get units to work for me.

Yes, I suggested the bombard ability, and smoking mirror is right, that was a bad idea, for the reasons stated. However, I tested cyclonics idea of giving bombers a transport capacity of 1, then tagging "carry only air units, and carry only foot units." And this DOES INFACT WORK. So anyone who's really interested in making bombers unable to be carrier based, this is an effective solution, and I've not had any problems with it. I do suggest downloading smoking mirror's dive bomber though, as carrier battles are no fun if its just fighters bombarding carriers--because nothing happens!

Not sure if that would work Kal-el, but I do know for sure that the transport thing works. I loaned my game to a buddy for the weekend, so I won't be able to test anything new.

Top Bottom