RK-07: Sid Meier's Janissaries!

Meatbuster

formerly Robo Kai
After the devastating loss in the recently-concluded RK-05, I've decided to retry the "restricted tech tree" game. Except this time, no isolationism, and we're not going for a loser tech like Divine Right. We're going for a game-winning military tech, Gunpowder, through the Civil Service-Education route.

Leader: Mehmed of the Ottoman Turks
Unique Unit: "Das Janitscharen Korps"

(thanks Wikipedia)

Version: Warlords 2.08 (with or without Blake, it's your choice)
Difficulty: Monarch (oh please)
Map: Standard, Lakes, default Cylindrical wrap
Speed: Epic
Opponents: 7 random

Strategy/Variant: After acquiring Bronze Working, beeline Gunpowder through the Educational route before any other techs. It does not include Archery or Alphabet, but either may be allowed as a detour, with roster vote. Two great scientists may be generated in the process, one to build an Academy, the other to speed up Education.

Optional Variant: No Cottage Challenge

Allowed techs before Gunpowder:
Mining, Bronze, The Wheel, Agriculture, Pottery AND/OR Animal Husbandry, Writing, Math, Currency, Code of Laws, Civil Service, Paper, Education

Optional techs before Gunpowder:
Hunting/Archery, Alphabet

Goal: Find out how fast can we get Gunpowder on Monarch?

Looking for 5-6 players who can either beat at least Prince on current patch, or at least Monarch on previous patches.

Mehmed! I love him, those janissaries rock so badly.
As a lot of my other SG's have finished I will sign up in this one :)

A lot, huh? :lol: Two of my games you mean.

You are drafted into the Janissary corps!

Turnsets:
first set - 40 turns first guy, the rest 30's
second set - 20's
third set - 15's
fourth set until the end of time - 10-15's

well, some of my other games are coming to a close very soon aswell :)

I'll be lurking in this one for sure. But since I'm bound to the same restrictions as in the SGOTM (see sig) I probably won't be able to join as a player. Nice idea Robo! ;)

not a sign-up (yet, perhaps) but I was in a game somewhat similar to this as France where we had to beeline for Musketeers. We took the bottom route :(

anyway, this is a great idea, and i know at one point, mutineer had something on the forums about getting Guns ASAP. I worked up something for my threads at Pholk's Corner re: this for France and Mehmed ~ highlights: you may want to think about a sidetrip to Lit for the GL and more scientists.

Hmm... a side-trip to lit, eh?
I've been thinking about that, but also if the 6bpt of the extra scientists is worth the detour... maybe not. The idea is gunpowder ASAP, although I might reconsider if marble is available.

Anyway, still looking for singers... uh, I mean sign-ups.

Not a signup...

I really wanted to play another Sith game so will stay out of this one. Plus only a day away for SGTOM to start. Good luck though and have fun since that's what counts.

Play another Sith game huh? :) So are you going to start a new religious game? I'll play, unless you want me to restart RK-05 on Prince...

I'll throw my fez in the ring for this one.

Not actually. It may just result in a slower Gunpowder if the research from the two scientists (6/turn) can't pay for the Alpha+Lit detour. I've gotten Gunpowder at 770AD before with the GLib+CS slignshot on Prince (but only 1 scientist since National Epic GPP pollution caused a Great Artist), but I've been wondering if it could've achieved faster without the CS slingshot or the Alpha+Lit detour.

But I do agree that the GLib will result in better overall research for the rest of time, however the goal here is speed to Gunpowder.

Yo, I was comfortable at monarch on Warlords 2.0, haven't had time to try the new patch though. No opinion about Blake's AI.

So I'd like to sign up :)

We will not have the ability (until gunz) to get any temples, build missionaries, hook up calendar resources, or use HR / Rep (no pyramids) : I'm a bit concerned about early happiness :mischief:
Good thing we have those wonderful Hammams :D

And the no cottage variant looks a bit difficult IMO since setting up an efficient SE without happiness and pyramids early on is quite tricky... But that's just 1 out of 6 votes.

edit: the solution to the happiness problems is of course tech trading (but no pyramids is still true), on second thought we even WILL have to trade for masonry in order to build Hammams ^^.
I've heard the AI goes earlier for alphabet now, so it should be OK not even researching it ourselves.

Welcome to the game, Eshunna. You may also want to join the Louis wine game since the people there talk a lot of French. :lol:

If the roster decides to make a tech detour to Alphabet (which I do not recommend due to "slowness") we can. Or, we can wait for the computer to get Alphabet (they prioritize it more in the patch), then trade for Alphabet. We should have a pseudo-techlead anyway since we were beelining Gunpowder right? Code of Laws, Civil Service, Paper or Education shouldn't be too hard to trade out.

But yeah, screw Calendar happiness, screw temples. We still have the almighty whip and the almighty Hammam. And in this beeline, we have markets for extra happiness as needed.

well, I gotta check this thread out!!

Thx for taking me in :goodjob:

And good point bout going whip heavy :groucho:

BTW I suppose we are planning to stay in good terms w. our neighbors for trade, till we wipe out the entire planet (or a few neighbourz) under our mighty boots?

Actually we may be able to attack someone already even before Jans, if we have bronze and axes. We could spend the time after the first war recovering (we will eventually get Currency + Code of Laws). I don't know how that will affect our research speed but I think it would be good. Kekeke.

Game will start with 1 more player.

i'll take that last spot, then!

you could also use a GS for Paper, and not jsut Education. Research up to CS, get Construction for cats, and then, go back to the bottom of the tree for other military techs like Feudalism, Machinery (for Engineering) and Guilds! Not in the included tech list BUT if we're waiting for our Scientists to be born, we could do this, perhaps?

plus, starting w/Agr and Wheel, we could Pottery out of the gate, and use that to open up Writing.

Finally, b/c this NEEDS criticism and revision:
Spoiler Leader Strategy Thread on Mehmed :

Pholk's Notes:
Mehmed is one of the new Warlords leaders that is not an obvious warmonger . . . though he can be. Most likely, he will best compete in the Space Race, but don't count him out for a bit of late-game warfare. In either case, the early game is about building a strong foundation for your later victory.

First off, I was wrong: the Ottomans and the French both start with The Wheel and Agriculture. [Interestingly, too, both their UUs come at Gunpowder.] Therefore, I would head for Pottery right out of the gate. After this, all your other worker techs should come in a little faster. You can save Hunting > Animal Husbandry until you have a need for pastures, but don't forget Archery and Mining > Bronze Working.

Next, the Ottoman Hamman replaces Aqueducts and also gives you +2 happy faces in addition to the +2 health, so go for Writing > Alphabet > Masonry > Mathematics to be able to start building them. Another thing to research, either after Writing or after Math, will be Literature for the Great Library. Mehmed should aim to use Great Scientists to help on the way to Gunpowder by lightbulbing Paper and Education and should build a Library as soon as feasible to this end as well.

After this, set research to Currency > Code of Laws > Civil Service to open up those last couple of techs to Gunpowder for your Great Scientists. While you're waiting, go ahead and clean up any of the lower techs you want or need to research. As soon as you can, research Gunpowder and then beeline to Liberalism, taking Nationalism as the free tech.

Welcome to the game, pholk!

That's more or less correct. Except, I just wonder why you consider Pottery out of the gate? How about Mining -> Bronze first? But you do have a point in getting worker techs faster.

I'll post a start shortly.

Ok... this is definitely weird.

Right now, I could think of three settling spots:
1. In place (it's a plains hill, but 1 tile from coast)
2. 2N1E of the clam
3. 2N of the clam (loses the plains hill)
2. 1SW of the start (thanks pholk)

Gonna take a nap now, may play when I get back.

Top Bottom