Rome Total War/Mods Unit Request.

Gaias

Earthman
With the oh so subtle hints of Stormrage, I have decided to start a thread for unit conversion request. I figured this would be easier to do, and more convenient for other than going through the list from A to Z. So if you have a unit you would like to see, post here and I will surely try to convert it. Basically will make them in the order that they are requested.

As I do not have much time these days to work on the conversions ( a few days at most), modders that will use these units in their mods will get priority.

I do have permission from the Rome Total Realism team to convert their units to CiviIII, so any units in this mod are ready to convert. If any request units to be converted from another mod, either I or you will have to obtain permission from the mod team before converting their units ( just common courtesy).

This is a public posting of my PM conversation with Gaias:

Quoting myself: Saw your comment:
Is there any specific units that you would like to see from Rome Total War (and mods) created for this mod Keroro? I am getting sick of looking and tweaking the Roman units I need to start on another civilisation...
There's a group of us that are making various efforts to develop whats available for the Asian (including the Indian subcontinent) civs. It would a be great service, and would be well lauded, if you would care to convert anything from the Blue Lotus mod for RTW.

Personally, I would love to see any or all from the Indian Army, the Demon Army, or The Neutral/Mercenary Army (especially Hanuman).

If you are willing to do only a very few units, I will gladly pinpoint the ones that would be highest priority. On the other hand, if you cherry pick even one you would personally like to do it would be a blessing.
Gaias said:
Well I could possibly convert those units from the Blue Lostus mod (still have to play that one). Though as you mention I would prefer you give me a list of those you would want first. These conversions take a considerable time to do and I only have a few days in which to work on them. Give me a list of about 10 units you would like to see and I will try to make them soon. Though as you know I have made other promises to others for the units first.

Thanks for you interest!
I fully understand your time constraints and previous priorities. Even one unit would be deeply appreciated.

Here is my wish list (prioritized from high to low):

1) Hanuman (from the rebel/mercenary army)
2) Arjuna Chariots (Indian)
3) Chakra Thrower (Indian)
4) 4-Arm Demon (Demon)
5) Snow Monkey infantry (Demon)
6) Royal Elephant (Indian)
7) Golden Archer (Indian)
8) War Elephant (Indian)
9) Kappa Elephant (Demon)
10) Tribal Fanatic (Indian)

If you need a spot to post any you end up doing, you're welcome to put them here. Even if you post them elsewhere I'll link to them from there to help spread the word. :end quote of myself

Should you decide to do any of these I will gladly seek permission of the Blue Lotus team.

I'd second the Blue Lotus Indians, and repeat here what I said in my Alexander's Conquests thread - Peltasts, Hypaspists and cavalry are my main interests. After the Romans Velites obviously.

Well, as I've already said, maybe the Bronze spartan from on here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25275

With one of the attacks overhand. And maybe a defend animation where he uses the sword!

We do have some hoplites already, but really not that many, and the ones we have are rather old and this one would be more detailed.

Hey. Does RTR have any pre-Islamic Indian units? Any of those would be really nice. Especially a longbowman. :)

A Thracian Peltast, and Successor units, like Pezhetairoi or Pantodapoi pikemen would also be nice, if you can find time. ;)

I can see my days of playing [c3c] are slowing being numbered...:p

@Blue Monkey
If you obtain permission from the Blue Lotus group that would be great. It never hurts to have more than one person doing these things anyways. ;)

When I finish converting the roman units (as I personally want them in my game), I will start on these units for the conversion process. I am aiming (more like hoping) that I will be able to produce 3 or 4 units per week. This may or may not happen due to RL constraints, health, interest, ect, but I will surely try to get as many done in a timely fashion.

One thing to remember is that all of these conversion will have the stock animations from the Rome Total War game and any created by 3rd party modders. I literally suck at making any kind of animations (as I am still quite a novice). So the best I can do with the current animations from RTW is to tweak them so they do not clip into the unit. The good thing about this is that I can load a animation into a given model and start the rendering process immediately. So when I have all the available relevant animations done, I should be able to produce these units in a much quicker fashion.

I'm on the permissions thing.

You really ought to lay out the nuts and bolts of your conversion procession for us (specific steps, file types, etc.). Maybe someone can then find an alternative to the high-end software you're using and you'll have a team of others working with you.

EDIT: this is a complete quote of the copyright statement from the Blue Lotus forum (italics added by me):
Copyright: Blue Lotus is not supported by CA and is a non profit making enterprise. This is a Beta version and may be buggy. All images and contents are copyright of their respective creators.
Feel free to re-use any original BL content in any other non-profit mods as long as the respective artists are credited. If possible contact us for details on authors.

I'll seek specific permission and how they want credits stated.

IYou really ought to lay out the nuts and bolts of your conversion procession for us (specific steps, file types, etc.). Maybe someone can then find an alternative to the high-end software you're using and you'll have a team of others working with you.

It's not that it is or is not possible to convert RTW units with free for use 3d programs, I just do not know of any other importer/exporter of the files RTW uses for these units. I would be glad to share my limited knowledge of converting these units with anyone who has access to 3ds max (I am using the application at a local college, hence the limited time). I would rather be using a free for use program so I can do it on my home computer as I would have more time to make these conversions. But before I make some kind of tutorial I want to do a few more units so that I can improve my technique, in which will allow me to better explain on how to got about it.

I am delighted that you're planning more conversions :) !!

My number one request would be the Praetorian Cavalry, followed by the Egyptian slinger and skirmisher.

However, any conversions from this game (one I don't own myself) would be much appreciated. Other requests (if you do get round to doing them) would be the British light and heavy chariot - I could do with a couple of "matching" chariots for the British (well, actually three, but it seems there's only two in the mod).

It's not that it is or is not possible to convert RTW units with free for use 3d programs, I just do not know of any other importer/exporter of the files RTW uses for these units.
I don't own RTW, but after seeing the Blue Lotus screenshots, etc. I've considered buying it. What file formats is RTW using? What do they need to be converted to? Maybe someone else already knows of a 'porter, or one of us who habitually trolls the web (like me) can find one.

Those units in the Blue Lotus mod would be very handy in quite a number of fantasy mods. :)

I don't own RTW, but after seeing the Blue Lotus screenshots, etc. I've considered buying it. What file formats is RTW using? What do they need to be converted to? Maybe someone else already knows of a 'porter, or one of us who habitually trolls the web (like me) can find one.

Well the files used for RTW are .cas files. There is only one importer/exporter that I know of and it was made by Vercingetorix for 3ds max. The files do not need to be converted to anything as they can be manipulated within 3ds max, along with the animations. I am not too sure that the files would convert very well to another format, which could be read by another 3d application.

When I get some time (and a few more units done), I will work on a basic tutorial on how to convert units from RTW. I will also be starting on other units requested here after I am done the Roman ones (as I want these personally).

Top Bottom