2)6st 2m
10%city attack
3)6st 1m
50% archers
10%city attack
4)6st 1m
10%city attack
50% melle

No. The Praetorian is strength 8 for a very good reason. For those who think it's overpowered should just counter the Praetorian with properly promoted Axemen.

Steve just took the words right out of my mouth. Shock axes will deal with any problems with Praetorians that you have.

Also, a bit off-topic, kristopherb, could you please improve your grammar, it is abysmal, and it is always hard or sometimes impossible to understand what you are trying to say.

Yes, it should. Every other unit in the game can be countered on open ground by an unpromoted unit. Give it defensive bonuses and it wins against all units before crossbows. The extra hammers required to build the praetorian are not enough to make multiple axemen a viable counter without encurring a greater economic disadvantage on the defender.

As for the concept of properly promoted axemen, non aggresive civs (that is, the majority of civs) don't get access to newly-built shock-promoted axemen until they've gotten a great general, feudalism, or theocracy. Facing a war against the Romans there's not going to be a lot of axemen surviving to get to shock. Combat I axemen only have a 50% odds of winning until against unpromoted praetorians in the open ground.

Option 3 is not viable. The immortal works with a 50% bonus against archers because the basic chariot is not designed to be a city raider. The 50% bonus gives it added flexibility - allows it to be used as a city raider. Giving any swordsman variant a bonus against archers is not a good idea.

Option 4 is more overpowered than any unit in the game. Numidian mercenary aside, there is no unit which could take out such a unit with ease.

No I agree. Saying that shock promoted axes can deal with preatorians is stupid. You should compar 0exp axes with 0exp preats, and shock promoted axes with shock promoted preats.
I think that they should change to:
Str 7, Mov 1, Cost 50, Free city raider 1

I want a wakness against melee, less strength and another bonus. Preferably a bonus against archers.

I actually like the Praetorians *because* they are so powerful. And no, that's not because I'm playing Rome myself (I always play a random civ) ;) . It's because a powerful unit in the enemy's hands spices up my game.

However, I'm not overly concerned with balancing of civs. Whether they are perfectly balanced or not doesn't actually influence my enjoyment of the game. This might be different if I played multiplayer (where balance and fairness is much more of an issue), but since I only play single player ...

I think praets are overpowered and esp.w/ 2.08 Augustus the combination is just scary. Still, AI does not use that against IsHuman(?) in overpowered way, which leads me to conclusion that there is no point for nerfing them down.

I struggle on prince with Blakes newest incarnations and i just need to kick AI's ass sometimes after getting humped in game before :). Then its nice to whoop the world with Rome.

Plus, i learned much about early warring with them. After using them first time it was lot easier do to axe rush with another civ etc. But, everyone should remember that if you always play same civ with same tactics you are not getting anywhere (i am trying to move over Egypt.. its juust lovely).

MP is of course different story, but since its out of my scope.. :|.

that is even more overpowered. It's possibly even better than a maceman.

Ah yeah. Hehe, that rocks more than I thought earlier. :p

So far, I like 6 str and +25-50 on both city attack and city defense. That will probably be the route I take eventually on it. Or that's where I am so far. :)

Shock promote your praetorians, and the enemy has no response until he gets elephants, then you just have to mix in a couple of spears with your stack.

Shock promote your praetorians, and the enemy has no response until he gets elephants, then you just have to mix in a couple of spears with your stack.
Or get a Formation-promoted Praet. An army of properly-promoted Praets needs nothing except some cat support...

but what if you're facing shock promoted preatorians?

An unpromoted axeman fighting an unpromoted Prat on clear ground is a 7.5 versus 8. Considering axemen are much cheaper and lower down on the tech tree that seems like a more than reasonable counter. No change is necessary IMO and I do not consider the Romans to be amongst the most powerful Civs (even though they have a fine UU).

Top Bottom