[MOD] S.P.Q.R. beta version

Arne

King
*updated at 07. March 2007: Mediterranean Map added*

Annyone remember S.P.Q.R. for Civ3? Well, it was available in German only, so I bet, there are not that many users here, wich will know that C3C scenario. Like the name allready will tell you - S.P.Q.R. is a Mod about the time of the Roman Republic. Some kind of Rise of Rome, with many (planed) special features.

Now there is a first beta version 0.2a for Civilization 4 (1.61), made by a very small team of German modmakers. Some things are allready done, it is playable in general. But there are still many things on our to-do-list. A WARLORDS version belongs to the list. The English translation is very basic (and I guess it's poor to), for example there is actually no English readme and therare very few English pedia entries. It still will be long way to go. We still need some translators. (German to English, but much more than that we need help for translations:
German to French,
German to Spanish and
German to Italian.

Installation:

Mod Only (SPQR0.2a Mod without any special map with preplaced things):
Download SPQR02a.rar and extract the files. Take the folder labeled "SPQR0.2" and put it into your folder "Mods" (.../Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Mods) in the Civilization 4 directory. Start up Civ4, click "advanced" and then "load a mod". The SPQR0.2 Mod should be shown in the list.

additional Italy Map (70x80)
You need to DL seperatly and drag that WBS ile into your "Public Maps" folder. Of cource you need the full SPQR0.2 Mod to play the map. Now you could play this map by clicking on "load scenario" or by double clicking on mapfile SPQR_Italien.Civ4WorldBuilderSave.

Italy Map-Preview​

additional Mediterranean Map (NEW at 07. March 07)
Download the map seperatly and drag that WBS ile into your "Public Maps" folder. You will first need the full SPQR0.2 Mod to play the map.Start the Scenario while clicking on "load scenario" or by double clicking on mapfile SPQR_Mittelmeer1.0.Civ4WorldBuilderSave.
For further details please look in Scenario Thread.

Civs/Leaders in SPQR Mod: We will start with some kind of general mod, playable each of 15 Civs in that very first version. Main focus is on Civilizations, that had direct contact to Romans, or at least had a chance, to met the Romans. This means there will be no Hethitians, no Mycenean Greeks, no Bablonians, Sumerians and so on. (Well may be, some day in later versions there will be such Civs too. But exept one little thing, there won't in the first version.)

Spoiler Leaders/Civs list and screenshot :
Leaders:
  • Rome: Julius Caesar
  • Greek (Achaia): Demosthenes
  • Macedonia: Alexander
  • Ptolomaier (Egypt): Cleopatra
  • Seleukid (Syria): Antiochos
  • Pergamon: Attalos
  • Pontos: Mithidrates
  • Colonial Greeks (Epirus and different greek Settlements all over the Med): represented by Pyrrhus
  • Celts/Gaul: Brennus and Vercingetorix
  • Germanic Tribes: Arminius (may be Ariovist?)
  • Etruscians: Lars Porsenna
  • Carthagians: Hannibal Barkas
  • Celtiberians: Viriathus
  • Dakians: Burebista
  • Skythians: Ateas
  • Parthians: not impelmented yet.
  • Nubians: not impelmented yet.
  • Numidians: not impelmented yet.

We are using stagnant (not animated) leaderheads, this is intended for later versions too. Preview:

Religions: There are 7 Religions in that mod, all called "Cults". We choose NOT to use any of the "Great Religions" so we hope, it will allow, to feel a little different from Vanilla Civ4 religions. But we know, it still needs some adjustment.

Spoiler screenshots for SPQR-Cults :

religios Units:

Cult of Jupiter founded:

Ressources: Like it was in the Civ3-Version of SPQR, there are some "unique" ressources. For example "timber" is in again, like "olives" are too. Some other ressources are completely new (clay, linen) others are removed from game (sugar, rice) or replaced by others.
Spoiler screenshot showing some ressources on map :

Spoiler screenshot of some mounted units :

SPQR-Mod Version 0.2b Download (ca. 28 MB)

SPQR-Italy Map (70 x 80)

Report Bugs in SPQR0.2b (links to German Civforum), You could report bugs and things here too (of cource), but I'm not sure how frequently an how detailed I'm able to answer things here. However, I would be glad about much feedback.

Bugfix for SPQR0.2a

Thanks to everyone who provided city lists, arts and other forms of support.
Worse luck I had a HD crash and lost many, many things by that. So I lost my list with all the names of unit creaters and such here from civfanatics and elswhere. If I forgot to list your name in the readme file, just send me a PM and I'll include you on the list.

Edit (19.12.06): There is a small bugfix out now, fixing some things. (hopfully, becouse it is not tested extensive yet. But I had to choose, fixing it fast or relase bugfix later, so I choosed trying to fix that as fast I can.) What happens in bugix?

Versionslog said:
0.2a -> 0.2b
=========
texts:
- Mithidrates -> Mithridates
- Poleis (Mz) -> Polis (Ez)
- short Pedia entry about free promotion when researching Taktics
- short Pedia entry about free promotion when researching Boarding bridges
- resulting mistake in Pediatext Dieckplous fixed
- Armyreform -> Army Reform
- Bronce -> Bronze

Game changings:
- promotion DIECKPLOUS is now working like suggested
- global warming should be off now

Download bugfix 0.2a If you don't own SPQR0.2a, you may choose downloading SPQR0.2b. The bugfix is included in this version, biside that, there are no differences.

Just played a few min, I must say that It looks very promising. Seems that the mod has come far in development.

Some observations is lack of better names for the unit "Hero" for exampel. I thought that was some cool unique unit at first.

One of the very last techs has "apollo program" as wonder.

Is the game built around marathon speed as preset on startup? Will playing on lower speed change the design in big ways?

Any event programmet yet? I always liked the event driven scenarios for civ2 (Spartacus scen for one).

I take it that more scen/maps are due since the extensive techtree gives that option (In the Italy map 1/3 of the techs are preset as active). Ok this seems higly likly but could you give some teasers? :)

Would love to testplay it more but leaving town tomorrow for one week...

NOTE: This is an on-going post. I'll just keep editing it over the next hour or two. Im adding things as and when they come to me. Im posting it here rather than in the german forum (linked above) because I don't speak a word of German and it would be confusing for the thread to be contain two languages.​

Im playing as the Romans. Didn't change any of the settings on start-up (EG game speed & difficulty level). Im not really giving any technical feedback - just stuff that comes to me. Im sure alot of it will be sorted in good time seeing as this is just a beta but i'll mention it all the same.

I'd like to begin by saying well done. The presentation is great. The Leader Heads look good, and different. The loading screen looks great too. Its not stretched or un-clear or anything else which alot of others are.

Now down to the list... :)

• People keep introducing themselves as "Her majesty" when they are men.
  • The intro text for the factions are a bit too long. As a rule of thumb something is too long when you need to scroll down to read it.
  • A bit of a slow start - it takes a while before I can even get enough workers up and running in all the regions you begin with.
  • A bit of a hard start - religion plays a big part. Which ever religion I go with everyone who isn't part of it hates me and cancels EVERY deal. A tad to challenging in my eyes seeing as its a strugle to raise an army.
  • Everything has really long build/research times.
  • As the Romans it seems I have the only worthwhile starting tech (Standing Army) because everyone is demanding it and turning hostile against me... (this is less than 5mins into the game and everyone is 'Annoyed'.
  • Having farming, mining etc already researched and out of the way is a blessing. Makes up for the slow build times early on for workers because you can actually use them straight away on worthwhile projects.
  • In the TechTree: Armyreform ---> Edit to Army Reform ?
  • In a few of the unit thingys it says "Bronse" when I assume you mean "Bronze"

*STILL ADDING TO THIS POST - In a random fashion*

Tonights Verdict - A tad slow for me at the moment but im still in the early game. I'll play some more tomorrow and give my feedback on how it plays out as the game goes one.

does this game got custom music? If not, then it's better to add in some nice music that fit for the game, something that sound like it's from the Ancient/classical era.

Very nice project. I'll see if I can find time to translate in italian.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
I develop the mod with Arne in the German forum, so let me say something about the ideas here.

The apollo program is still in the game, because you cannot delete all the projects out of the game (it crashes if you delete all projects). In the future, the apollo program will be replaced.
You can play with different gamespeeds if you play only the mod. If you play the italian map, i guess the gamespeed is fix.
We talked about events too, but there are still no events.
The techtree: We desinged the techtree so you can start in 4000 bc. So the italian map starts later, you have researched some techs.

Bema, thanks for the feedback. The "bugs" i will take in a list to fix. And you talk about the building and research costs. This is the hardest thing to do.

darkedone, there is no custom music yet in the game, but the plan is, that there will be custom music in the future.

onedreamer, this would be great. :king:

Merry Christmas to everyone here. :)

Merry Christmas :)

I still haven't finished this game - got distracted with Multiplayer Civ 4 last night. So far it has been excellent though. My points are really just little 'nit picks, but the mod is pretty good. Im going to finish this game - then play as another faction to see how it all plays out. I'll get back to you with some more feedback over the next few days.

I think there's a bug in the techtree that you will see only if you play from 4000 bc, in the upper path, the one that seemingly leads to the cult of Thor, the first 3 techs are not connected, so you can research immediatly the third and the first two are completely useless. Is this intended ?

This is correct. In the future we will use this techs to make civ-specific techs in the techtree. One of the first three techs will be a starting tech for a civ, the other two will be disabled for that civ.

Glad at least some people seems to like it. :)

People keep introducing themselves as "Her majesty" when they are men.
Unfortunately I don't understand this point. Could you clarify a little?

The intro text for the factions are a bit too long. As a rule of thumb something is too long when you need to scroll down to read it.
Sure it is, but I'm afraid it only works like this (or don't show any of all that UUs).

A bit of a slow start - it takes a while before I can even get enough workers up and running in all the regions you begin with.
A bit of a hard start - religion plays a big part. Which ever religion I go with everyone who isn't part of it hates me and cancels EVERY deal. A tad to challenging in my eyes seeing as its a strugle to raise an army.
Everything has really long build/research times.
Agreed, it is. Hope this dosn't hurt to much? Probably it will be changed over time in next version(s).

In the TechTree: Armyreform ---> Edit to Army Reform ?
In a few of the unit thingys it says "Bronse" when I assume you mean "Bronze"
Both will be changed in 0.2b. Thank you. :)

@onedreamer: It is intended. These technologies are not unless, they are allready starting technologies of some Civs, and "force" them to get other technologies earlyer than other civs. I.e. Egypt will get a much higher chance getting hieroglyphs first, becouse they get one of these techs from start on. Hope that makes sense.

@Drogear: Yes, "Hero" and some other unit names may be a little missleading... any ideas for a better ancient name? Some english names need a better translation. The German "Heroe" is not exactly the same like "Held" would be, Heroe is much more... poetic and a little more special. But I don't know a good translation for it.
The Apollo programm is still a placeholder (I thought, it is writen in the SPQR Pedia ;) ). About the events: We had planed some of them, but such "gameplay-events" (like spartacus) aren't in for now. But there are some "technology-events", like corvus or dieckplous. :)

Drogear said:
I take it that more scen/maps are due since the extensive techtree gives that option (In the Italy map 1/3 of the techs are preset as active). Ok this seems higly likly but could you give some teasers?
Well, I'm not sure how to give some more teasers. May be, there should be an seperate thread about that Italy map (-scenario) in scenario forum... Yeah, it seems you are right there. :smug:

People keep introducing themselves as "Her majesty" when they are men.
Unfortunately I don't understand this point. Could you clarify a little?

The opposition leaders introduce themselves as "Her Majesty". In English this means they are introducing themselves as women. A man would introduce themselves as "His Majesty". [I'll find an example and post it up in a bit]

A bit of a slow start - it takes a while before I can even get enough workers up and running in all the regions you begin with.
A bit of a hard start - religion plays a big part. Which ever religion I go with everyone who isn't part of it hates me and cancels EVERY deal. A tad to challenging in my eyes seeing as its a strugle to raise an army.

Agreed, it is. Hope this dosn't hurt to much? Probably it will be changed over time in next version(s).

Although its a strugle im now actually quite enjoying it. Since first responding here i've started playing on a higher difficulty level so im starting to take the hard start in my stride. Its quite fun fending off 4 or 5 invasion fleets! Its still a bit slow to get everything moving but its not too bad when you start to leave the early game.

Thanks so far for a great Rome orientated mod. :)

The opposition leaders introduce themselves as "Her Majesty". In English this means they are introducing themselves as women. A man would introduce themselves as "His Majesty". [I'll find an example and post it up in a bit]

Oh, I see. I think, this has to do wis the missing translation of that diplomacy texts. The english version is using Civ4 original text, so it comes that some Leaders are using Isabellas or Hatshepsuts words.

Glad you enjoy it, even with such small mistakes. :)

@all:
There is a small bugfix out now, fixing some things. (hopfully, becouse it is not tested extensive yet. But I had to choose, fixing it fast or relase bugfix later, so I choosed trying to fix that as fast I can.) What happens in bugix:

Versionslog said:
0.2a -> 0.2b
=========
texts:
- Mithidrates -> Mithridates
- Poleis (Mz) -> Polis (Ez)
- short Pedia entry about free promotion when researching Taktics
- short Pedia entry about free promotion when researching Boarding bridges
- resulting mistake in Pediatext Dieckplous fixed
- Armyreform -> Army Reform
- Bronce -> Bronze

Game changings:
- promotion DIECKPLOUS is now working like suggested
- global warming should be off now

Download bugfix 0.2a If you don't own SPQR0.2a, you may choose downloading SPQR0.2b. The bugfix is included in this version, biside that, there are no differences.

As you said - the mistakes I spotted are small. Nothing too significant although I'll continue to bring them to your attention. I wouldn't be be much good as a translator from German --> English (seeing as I don't know any German) but if you want a native English speaker to check over some of the translations to find and replace the little things I'd be more than happy. Thats only if you get someone who isn't 100% confident in their translations of course.

BTW from your previous post - "Taktics" ---> "Tactics" :)

I'll continue playing through the mod in the New Year when I'm back at home.

Bema:
When you find something in the texts, just post it here, so we can correct it.

jojoweb:
Thank you. Arne is doing a great graphic-job. :)

Drogear:
A mediterranian map is in progress, it will be released when it's done ;). But I'm sure, it will not take a long time.

Rapiduser:
Thanks a lot. I have no idea what's wrong with the server...

Man, you have got me really excited for this mod. I can't hardly wait. :)

The only problem is when I try to extract the rar file it tells the file was broken and doesn't exactly extract anything.:sad: Any help?

Top Bottom