Galleas

C.Roland

FFH Art team member

This is a requested renaissance ship. It's a really needed ship. It's animated, it has team color and a non shader version.

YOU HAVE TO USE THE ANIMATION IN THE ZIP. THE ANIMATION IS NAMED GALLEY, BUT IT'S NOT THE ORIGINAL GALLEY ANIMATION, I MODIFIED A BIT SO DO NOT USE ORIGINAL GALLEY ANIMATION, USE THE ONE IN THE ZIP.

Donwload

Thank You!

This is definitely a much needed addition. Civ has always had a lack of early naval progression.

I'm definatly making a Modual out of this, any sugjestion as to the Tech, Cost, Power and other stats for the unit?

I'm thinking Compass, Cannot cross Ocean, 3 power, 2 movment, Cost 60

I agree with Compass and the fact it shouldnt be able to enter Oceans

As far as everything else:

Galley 2/2 Costing 50, 2 Cargo Space (Upgrade to Galleon))
Galleon 4/4 Costing 80, 3 Cargo Space (Upgrade to Transport)

Caravel 3/3 Costing 60, 1 Cargo Space for People (Upgrade to Fireship)
Corvette 6/5 Costing 90, 1 Cargo Space for People (Upgrade to Ironclad)

Trireme 2/2 Costing 50 (Upgrade to Galleass)
Galleass 5/3 Costing 70 (Upgrade to Fireship)
Frigate 8/4 Costing 90 (Upgrade to Ironclad)
Ship of the Line 10/3 Costing 110 (Upgrade to Ironclad)
Monitor 12/2 Costing 100 (Upgrade to Submarine)
Ironclad 18/4 Costing 150 (Upgrade to Destoryer)

Fireship 10/2 Costing 100, start with "Kamikaze" i.e. destoryed after battle and can cause collateral damage.

Historically teh Galleass was a "Medieval" Warship vs teh Trireme of Antiquity and Frigate of the Renaissance. so it should fit in there. As far as the strength. it should be stronger than a Caravel and Galleon (being a Warship, thus it should be able to beat them). At 5/3 it fits nicely between a Trireme and Frigate. I would also remove the upgrade of a Trieme to Frigate and have it upgrade to the Galleass, with the Galleass upgrading to a "Fireship"

Now, I also think 4 other ships should be added Ship of the Line, Stronger, Slower Frigate, that cannot bombard), a Corvette, Faster Caravel, used for scouting, a true Ironclad (rename the current Ironclad a Monitor), seeing as the Ironclads of history were originally coal powered wooden vessals, reinforced with iron (not the low to water moniters that they are respresented by).

Lasty I though a "Fireship" should be added for 2 reasons. Primarily to provide some collateral damage, and second, to provide a realistic upgrade option for the "out of date ships" Historically Fireships were out of date ships, lit afire with fuel (gunpowder/alcohol) to disorient an enemy "line")

I always though upgrades should make sense. Realistically, a ship cannot instantly change its structure (Trireme to Caravel makes no sense, i.e. an oar powered to a sail powered). The fireship provides a destination for the out of date Galleass and Caravel. as well as providing some collateral damage for to some stacks of units. Land units I can understand. retraining a musketman to use a rifle, I can see happening, but not turning an oar powered vessal that is suseptable to high seas into a sail powered vessal that can travel the oceans

Anyway thats my piece, That doesnt include an AAS (Amphibious Assault Ship) which I think should be the eventual upgrade of Carriers and Transports.

All in all I am quite disappointed with teh way "Navy"s are handled in Civ4. Empires with tremendous Navies usually dominated there era, either by the use of for or trade, (Greeks, Romans (sup the conquest of carthage), Byzantium, Spain and England, etc..)

I agree with Compass and the fact it shouldnt be able to enter Oceans

As far as everything else:

Galley 2/2 Costing 50, 2 Cargo Space (Upgrade to Galleon))
Galleon 4/4 Costing 80, 3 Cargo Space (Upgrade to Transport)

Caravel 3/3 Costing 60, 1 Cargo Space for People (Upgrade to Fireship)
Corvette 6/5 Costing 90, 1 Cargo Space for People (Upgrade to Ironclad)

Trireme 2/2 Costing 50 (Upgrade to Galleass)
Galleass 5/3 Costing 70 (Upgrade to Fireship)
Frigate 8/4 Costing 90 (Upgrade to Ironclad)
Ship of the Line 10/3 Costing 110 (Upgrade to Ironclad)
Monitor 12/2 Costing 100 (Upgrade to Submarine)
Ironclad 18/4 Costing 150 (Upgrade to Destoryer)

Fireship 10/2 Costing 100, start with "Kamikaze" i.e. destoryed after battle and can cause collateral damage.

Historically teh Galleass was a "Medieval" Warship vs teh Trireme of Antiquity and Frigate of the Renaissance. so it should fit in there. As far as the strength. it should be stronger than a Caravel and Galleon (being a Warship, thus it should be able to beat them). At 5/3 it fits nicely between a Trireme and Frigate. I would also remove the upgrade of a Trieme to Frigate and have it upgrade to the Galleass, with the Galleass upgrading to a "Fireship"

Now, I also think 4 other ships should be added Ship of the Line, Stronger, Slower Frigate, that cannot bombard), a Corvette, Faster Caravel, used for scouting, a true Ironclad (rename the current Ironclad a Monitor), seeing as the Ironclads of history were originally coal powered wooden vessals, reinforced with iron (not the low to water moniters that they are respresented by).

Lasty I though a "Fireship" should be added for 2 reasons. Primarily to provide some collateral damage, and second, to provide a realistic upgrade option for the "out of date ships" Historically Fireships were out of date ships, lit afire with fuel (gunpowder/alcohol) to disorient an enemy "line")

I always though upgrades should make sense. Realistically, a ship cannot instantly change its structure (Trireme to Caravel makes no sense, i.e. an oar powered to a sail powered). The fireship provides a destination for the out of date Galleass and Caravel. as well as providing some collateral damage for to some stacks of units. Land units I can understand. retraining a musketman to use a rifle, I can see happening, but not turning an oar powered vessal that is suseptable to high seas into a sail powered vessal that can travel the oceans

Anyway thats my piece, That doesnt include an AAS (Amphibious Assault Ship) which I think should be the eventual upgrade of Carriers and Transports.

All in all I am quite disappointed with teh way "Navy"s are handled in Civ4. Empires with tremendous Navies usually dominated there era, either by the use of for or trade, (Greeks, Romans (sup the conquest of carthage), Byzantium, Spain and England, etc..)

If you find me picture of the ship you want i may be able to do some. I realize that ships are nice units to do when I did this galleas.

Following this logic any ingame civilization would have to decommission every ship build prior to industrial age ships, since not a single sail/oar propelled vessel was rebuild into a destroyer/cruiser/whatever in real life.

Top Bottom