Science makes me unhappy!

Aabraxan

Mid-level Micromanager
Just when I thought I was getting this all figured out, I have to hit something that makes no sense whatsoever . . . :rant:

So there I was, started a game, C3C, Monarch, continents, temparate, random civ. I draw the Koreans. OK. Never played them before, I'll give it 'em a shot.

While I'm tinkering with the science slider, I realize that there's this one guy in Namp'o who gets happy when I switch from 90% science to 80% science. I had no idea that changing my science slider would change my happy faces, even when the lux slider does not move.

Here it is at 80% science. Namp'o has 2 happy, 1 content, 1 sad.

On the same turn, without even returning to the main game screen, I changed it to 80%. Note that one guy goes from happy to content. Now Namp'o has 1/2/1.

Silly me, I guess I thought if I didn't change the lux slider, the number of happy faces wouldn't change . . .

You're spending less money on entertainment in the second screenshot. That's why he's content

If you look carefully, you will see that when running 90% Science you have 4 gold going to 'entertainment'; when it's 80% you have 5 gold for 'entertainment'.

I suggest bulding barracks in Hyangsan before catapults.
I don't, catapults don't have hitpoints, barracks do nothing for them.

@Aabraxan, its a rounding issue.

I spotted the 5 gold vs 4 gold figured that it's a rounding issue. (Naturally, I didn't think of that until after I'd shut off the computer, but that's a separate problem . . . ). I was just surprised to see that 10% =/= 10%. I'm obviously going to have to look closer at the precise amount of gold spent, and quit focusing quite so much on percentages.

Agreed that catapults don't have promotions - but Hwach'a do. I'm just playing Korea for the first time myself and was surprised to find that Hwach'a have regular/veteran/elite status and so far i've got 2 MGL's from them. It's quite a handy bonus because you don't lose any (unless you get careless). However because I initially started building them in towns without barracks they started as regulars so it was a while before they reached elite level.

What I don't know is what happens when you promote catapults/trebs to Hwach'a. If they were originally built in a barracks town will they become vet Hwach'a or just regulars?

I'm not sure if this completely explains it. Sure, in the example you've shown that the entertainment goes 1 gold less. I've also noticed this, but it happened to me with the lux/entertainment slider at 0%. So, when lowering science slider, I got more happy faces. But, I didn't allocate any money to lux/entertainment. So, more happy faces with zero gold? Now I'm even more confused. I'll have to look at the exact money distribution more closely to see if I can come up with why this happened.

OT...someone just posted here recently that you can still tell if your artillery type units are regular or vet by where the Red Dot appears to tell you that the unit has had its turn. Higher up means vet, lower is regular. There may be a third level but I can't remember it at this time.

So yes, they don't have hit points but they have experience points.

The Hwacha(macallit) is an exception to the rules of Civ3 in more than one way. It's the only wheeled bombardment UU, it can generate great leaders, it doesn't upgrade to anything else, and even though it has promotions, it's difficult to tell one "rank" from another. Barracks do help with them gettig to elite faster, but it's hard to tell which one gets a promotion, and when. Getting to the original topic, the sliders get different results at each setting, and that's another thing that's not obvious. I used to think taxmen increased unhappiness, but in reality they only decreased happiness due to losing a clown. After 7 years, I'm still learning the game better, and that can't be said for many games:)

No, I agree with Overseer. I too thought taxmen increased unhappiness. But on further investigation, a beaker produces a much unhappiness as a taxman. Otherwise, it would be a double wammi. You'd lose the clown, people get unhappy, you put a taxman, people get even more unhappy. But that isn't the case. Beakers produce as much unhappiness as a taxman. Unless you are talking about the real world....than yes, taxmen suck.

Unless you are talking about the real world...than yes, taxmen suck.

That's just mean. We don't write the tax laws ya know! Come on, it's a well paying job that provides for my family.

Someone's gotta do it you big meanie you. :sad:

That comment was made tongue in cheek. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. And, this is a board about a video game, not politics. If I offended you, then I'm sorry. It wasn't meant to offend, but to be funny.

Hehehe. No worries, my response was a poor attempt at humor. I spend all day looking at endless lines of numbers, I need to get my fun where I can. ;)

Top Bottom