SheepNES: The European Union

Insane_Panda

Deity
THE EUROPEAN UNION
L'UNION EUROPÉENNE
EUROPAISCHE UNION

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preamble of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights said:
The peoples of Europe, in creating an ever closer union among them, are resolved to share a peaceful future based on common values.

Conscious of its spiritual and moral heritage, the Union is founded on the indivisible, universal values of human dignity, freedom, equality and solidarity; it is based on the principles of democracy and the rule of law. It places the individual at the heart of its activities, by establishing the citizenship of the Union and by creating an area of freedom, security and justice.

The Union contributes to the preservation and to the development of these common values while respecting the diversity of the cultures and traditions of the peoples of Europe as well as the national identities of the Member States and the organisation of their public authorities at national, regional and local levels; it seeks to promote balanced and sustainable development and ensures free movement of persons, services, goods and capital, and the freedom of establishment.

[....]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EUROPEAN INSTITUTIONS:

The European Parliament
The Council of the European Union
The European Commission
The European Court of Justice
The European Court of Auditors
The European Central Bank
The European Investment Bank

MEMBERSHIP:

Austria - 1995
Belgium - 1957
Bulgaria - 2007
Cyprus - 2004
Czech Republic - 2004
Denmark - 1973
Estonia - 2004
Finland - 1995
France - 1957
Germany - 1957
Greece - 1981
Hungary - 2004
Ireland - 1973
Italy - 1957
Latvia - 2004
Lithuania - 2004
Luxembourg - 1957
Malta - 2004
Netherlands - 1957
Poland - 2004
Portugal - 1986
Romania - 2007
Slovakia - 2004
Slovenia - 2004
Sweden - 1995
Spain - 1986
United Kingdom - 1973

RESOLUTIONS OF THE EUROPEAN UNION:

PENDING:

- Resolution 8: The European Union:
1. Condemns the senseless violence and loss of life caused by the recent Chunnel bombings and other such acts worldwide, including those in Sydney and Delhi;
2. Reiterates its commitment to world peace and international security;
3. Notes the importance of maintaining security while not sacrificing liberty; and
4. Pledges to uphold the principles set forth in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, including articles 1, 3, 5, 9, 11, 18 and 20, as well as the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, including articles 1, 4, 8, 10, 12, 22, 47, and 48, regardless of whether opposing forces obey these principles.​

PASSED:
- Resolution 1: The European Union will apply for the status of an "OBSERVER" within the OIC
- Resolution 2: A working group be formed to consider possible amendments to the sections of the Treaty of Nice regarding relative voting weights and the size of the European Commission, to report to the Council of the European Union by January 1st, 2008.
- Resolution 5a: The following resolution shall be adopted by the European Union and submitted to the Security Council by an EU representative:
I. All property seized in the split of the island between the Turkish and Greek Cypriot communities shall be returned to its rightful owners.
II. Turkish forces shall immediately withdraw from the island.
III. A system of direct proportional voting shall be used in the re-unified Republic of Cyprus. The first elections shall be held January 1st, 2009.
IV. Citizenship shall be granted to any Turkish immigrant who arrived on the island on or before December 31st, 2000, as well as those born on the island in the meantime. All Turkish immigrants who arrived after December 31st, 2000 shall return to Turkey.​

FAILED:

- Resolution 3:The further funding and improvement of our space program with the final aim of being the first to colonise the moon.
- Resolution 5b: The following resolution shall be adopted by the European Union and submitted to the Security Council by an EU representative:
I. All property seized in the split of the island between the Turkish and Greek Cypriot communities shall be returned to its rightful owners.
II. Turkish forces shall immediately withdraw from the island.
III. A system of direct proportional voting shall be used in the re-unified Republic of Cyprus. The first elections shall be held January 1st, 2009.
IV. Citizenship shall be granted to any Turkish immigrant who arrived on the island on or before December 31st, 2000, as well as those born on the island in the meantime. All Turkish immigrants who arrived after December 31st, 2000 shall return to Turkey.​
2. The EU shall not recommence procedures for the admission of Turkey into the European Union until such time as the island of Cyprus is reunified.
- Resolution 7: Calls for the eventual creation of a "post-industrial" revolution based upon the precepts of a low-carbon based European economy through the following means:

I. The Creation of Internal Energy Markets:
- Independent regulatory control of the Energy industry shall be strengthened by the creation and additional funding of European and National regulatory bodies.​
II. Acceleration of a Shift Towards Low-Carbon Energy
- By January 1st, 2020, atleast 20% of European energy (throughout the Union) is to come from renewable sources.
- By January 1st, 2020, atleast 10% of European vehicle fuel should originate from Bio-fuels.
- Such articles would be made legally binding, and failing to complete the laid out objectives would result in the penalization of nations which are viewed to have made ineffecient progress with regards to the initiatives as laid out above.
III. The Expansion of European Energy Effeciency
- By January 1st, 2020, European energy use is to recieve a boost of 20% in effeciency.
- By January 1st, 2020, all developed European Nations shall agree to have achieved a 30% cut in greenhouse gas emissions.
- Improved standards are to be placed upon vehicle, and building fuel-effeciency. Energy effeciency is to be improved on existing buildings, and the distribution, transmission, and generation of electricity is to see an increase in effeciency aswell.​
TREATIES OF THE EUROPEAN UNION:

PENDING:

PASSED:
The Treaty of Luxembourg
I. Votes are reapportioned every 10 years based on the mechanism in the Treaty of Nice and the EU census, starting January 1st, 2010.
II. New member states shall initially get a number of votes and index of population equal to the nation closest to them in population, until votes are reapportioned at the end of the decade.
III. No more than 2 new members shall be admitted in any 4-year period, starting with the 4 year period commencing on January 1st of the year following the ratification of this treaty.
IIII. The number of commissioners in the European Commission shall be equal to the number of member states in the European Union. Each member state shall appoint one commissioner.
V. New member states shall enter into the European Union on January 1st of the year following the ratification of an admission treaty.

The Treaty for a Revised European Constitution:
I. By December, 2007, a new European Constitution consisting of only a basic fundamental framework shall be ratified to replace the current constitution.
II. By December, 2009, a new Consitutional Convention is to have convened, consisting of representatives from all European Union members. This Convention is charged with the creation of a new European Constitution based upon the principles of a "Common Foriegn and Security Policy" whilst at the same time maintaining a large degree of sovereignty for member states domestically.
III. By January, 2010, a European Union-wide referendum will be held, to determine whether or not the new constitution shall be enacted throughout the Union.

Treaty of Laeken:
I. Per provision I of Resolution #4, the following parts of the EU Constitution, consisting of the essential tenets of the European Union, are to be adopted as the Treaty of Laeken, to be ratified by December 31st, 2007:
1. The Preamble,
2. Part I titles I (DEFINITION AND OBJECTIVES OF THE UNION), II (FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS AND CITIZENSHIP OF THE UNION) , IV (THE UNION'S INSTITUTIONS AND BODIES), VI (THE DEMOCRATIC LIFE OF THE UNION), and VIII (THE UNION AND ITS NEIGHBOURS), and
3. All of Part II (THE CHARTER OF FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF THE UNION).​
II. Per Article II of Resolution #4, the following parts of the EU Constitution shall be discussed at the Consitutional Convention to be held by December 31st, 2009:
1. Titles III, V, and VI, dealing with competences and finances,
2. Part III (THE POLICIES AND FUNCTIONING OF THE UNION), and
3. Part IV (GENERAL AND FINAL PROVISIONS).​
FAILED:

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:

Resolution & Treaty Regulations:

I. Within the period of one turn (between updates), no more than a total of 5 Resolutions and 2 Treaties may be proposed and on the floor for voting.

II. A Resolution or Treaty must be either passed or rejected in a period of one turn (between updates). If a Resolution is not passed within this period, it is assumed failed, but can be revived the following turn.

Resolution & Treaty Formatting:

I. A Resolution must be submitted in the following form:
[ b ] Resolution No. (replace No. with actual No.): [ / b ] Resolution Text.​

II. A Treaty must be submitted in the following form:
[ b ] Treaty Name (The Treaty of/for...) [ / b ]:
Treaty Text.​

Luxembourg checking in.

OOC: Isnt there already an EU thread?

Some corrections/quibbles:

Resolution 5a passed, while 5b failed.

You forgot the Treaty of Laeken (here).

"The Treaty for a Revised European Constitution" is actually Resolution #4, not a treaty.

Resolution 7 (here) should be added to the Failed list.

I. Within the period of one turn (between updates), no more than a total of 5 Resolutions and 2 Treaties may be proposed and on the floor for voting.

Why do we need this? We've already violated it: Last turn, there were 2 treaties and 7 resolution proposed, and 6 (or 7, if 5a and 5b are seperate) came to a vote.

Why do we need this? We've already violated it: Last turn, there were 2 treaties and 7 resolution proposed, and 6 (or 7, if 5a and 5b are seperate) came to a vote.

Primarily, so it makes it easier for me to update the thread. As you can see, with too many resolutions per turn, it gets difficult to properly maintain the thread. Capping it at 5 seems like a reasonable number, though we did surpass it the first turn.

For consistency, can you rename the former Resolution #4 with the name of a city? Just don't use any of the cities at the bottom of the box here.

Could there be exceptions to the 5-resolution rule if a crisis arose?

Oh, and Resolution 5b should just be clause 2. You copied the whole thing.

OOC: New Player character of The Republic of Cyprus Checking in.

The ambassador for the United Kingdom walks in and takes his seat.

Human, welcome back mate, long time no see. Anyways, I really need you to read the whole situation RE: Cyprus in the old thread... its going to be important for you in the coming year.

yes i looked it all over quickly last night before I picked Cyprus. Im going to read it in more detail later. I might try to catch you on aim if i have any questions. My AIM is still btal89

Germany takes its place.

Top Bottom