G-III Lambda

superslug

Still hatin' on Khan
Hall of Fame Staff
Hello and welcome to the newest Gauntlet for HOF III.

• Mapsize: Standard
  • Difficulty: Chieftain
  • Condition: Spaceship

Have your submissions in by February 14th, and good luck.

Just in case anyone wants to see how a master of the game would play it: DeaveMcW's Standard Chieftain Spaceship game. Somehow I don't think that I'll be looking to beat that, more likely just get within a few hundred years of it. There's plenty of room to get a successful entry though, with only three games recorded at the moment!

Oh, and whilst I'm posting here's another link that you might find useful: Sir Pleb's Diplo race on the same settings. Obviously not a SS game but it's still fast research on Chieftain.

Well, I'm going to try a couple of games *not* using the Russians, but I'll probably switch to them in the end. Maybe India first. :crazyeye:

Will try and get 1 as well. If there are only 3 entries yet, it could be fun using a less favourite civ. Russians seem best best, but any expansionistic civ will help. Still need a decent histography game first though.

Actually, this may be a game where portugal (!) exceeds. Or perhaps Hittites. Why Portugal? If you figure that most of the most expensive AA techs come huts, the extra commerce for coastal cities may help with early techs, because it's a higher percent of cost.

Not getting a free tech in each era is a problem and will cost probably 4-8 turns vs. a scientific civ (there is a fair chance you will get at least one of chivalry in the middle ages, communism/fascism/ironclads in the IA and recycling in MT from a scientific free tech), and paying full price for libs is always a pain - on the other hand, you kick off a GA with just collosus, so as soon as you stop expanding, you can use the GA to build those.

Why Hittites? Well, MT techs are very expensive, so you need either metros or a lot of cities. In either case, commercial civs give you more productivity in the modern era, with less corruption and more gold.

I might just take a crack at this one, if only to brush up on my III playing skills before going for a 20k, Sid and my new milk run.

Inca might be good, too - gets expansion going faster, which may be necessary to overcome the full price libs/unis. Which would mean that exp/industrious is probably good, too - who is that? america.

I think I may give this a try, I made my HOF debut this month with a few mon/emp diplo games. I was thinking of either going low difficulty or space for my next game so why not do both!

I would usually use Russia for a science game however I have no experience at all on Cheiftain, the expanionist trait with scouts does't seem as much of an advantage on Cheiftain. I would assume the goody huts will always be good whether you are expansionist or not and that the AI will not be very good at finding them and popping making the 2 move unit less important. I think I will consider using Sumeria (I can't let go of the scientific trait!) but will probably end up with Russia again!

Thanks for the link, according to the spreadsheet the percentages you quote are for warlord, on cheiftain both exp and non-exp have a 35% chance of a tech.

The 2 move scouts do make a difference - on a standard map, you probably won't find all the huts even with the scouts.

That said, getting through the AA really fast is great, but you are slower in the middle ages. And sumeria is a fine civ for a game like this, because of the rate of expansion. In fact, the only scientific civ that gets no advantage in a game like this is Germany.

The Greeks sound good to me, you can build 2 chariots to do the same as scouts.

The Greeks sound good to me, you can build 2 chariots to do the same as scouts.
...except that you need to research the wheel, connect the horses and then put up with the fact that any GHs on mountains or jungle will taunt you as you have to avoid this type of terrain with wheeled units.

As much as I'll admire any non-Russian attempts, I want those Goody Huts popped asap so half a dozen Russian scouts (if not more than this) will be roaming the plains in my games when I actually get around to starting this.

Last night I did a play-the-first-start rehearsal with the Indians and quickly decided to switch to the Aztecs. In my first Aztec attempt I got an SGL from The Republic Slingshot but because of my awkward start location it wasn't until 13xx BC. I'm going to run Mapfinder for a set of Aztec maps, then make a set with the Russians.

...except that you need to research the wheel, connect the horses and then put up with the fact that any GHs on mountains or jungle will taunt you as you have to avoid this type of terrain with wheeled units.

Maybe I'll inclued Japan as an opponent and purchase the wheel, but other than roading every tile, I won't know if I have horses.

I guess the main thing it to grab ALL the huts ourself, as the AI getting them isn't really a good thing for us, is it? I once thought quickly selling or gifting all known techs to all the AI know in the ancient age would help because any tech they then discover would be a new one we didn't have, but now I'm not sure.

Russia is hard to beat for this one. I thought I had a game to equal 530 AD last night but after golden age physics was going to take 5 turns no matter what. So that is on the shelf for now.

To better Dave McW's fabulous date, you can 1) enter MA more quickly; 2) use AI respawn to get some city freebies and quite a bit of gold to spend if you have SoZ built early; 3) look for gold/silks/gems in the initial start area. 500 AD is possible for sure; Sir Pleb's diplo game would have edged Dave's game slightly.

Good to see you here again, KC! You don't fancy finishing that game just to get a leading game in the gauntlet and set a target for the rest of us?

I'd considered the AI respawn BTW but was only going to do it if there was a nearby AI.

Ive been wondering how Sir Pleb had such a good start by 1000 BC... he was running negative research! I had completely forgotten about the lack of penalties for neg research at chieftain.

Good to see you here again, KC! You don't fancy finishing that game just to get a leading game in the gauntlet and set a target for the rest of us?
The industrial age will be tedious and boring. I'd rather play the first 80 turns and get a game to beat 570. Current goal is to have chemistry, astro, and banking done by 1000 BC.

that would be an amazing game...

I suppose if you can get two immediate SGL's that give you pyramids and collosus in the 3000's where you get a fair amount of tourist money... but starting research on physics in 1000 BC!! that would be a great game...

The industrial age will be tedious and boring. I'd rather play the first 80 turns and get a game to beat 570. Current goal is to have chemistry, astro, and banking done by 1000 BC.
Please be sure to take some notes to pass on!

Top Bottom