Unit Request: An Invisible unit

Ed O'War

King
Okay, I know this sounds a little unusual, but I'd like to have a .flc file that is essentially "blank", so that when you look at it on the map, all you see is the unit hit point bar. I know I can give it the 'submarine' ability to make it essentially invisible, but I have a couple of different uses for it:

1) For a fantasy mod, it can be used as an Invisible Stalker (and then combine it with the submarine ability).

2) Also for a fantasy mod, to use it as an invisible magic barrier for a spell effect. It could also be used in conjunction with other 'spell' units.

Hopefully something like this would be pretty simple for a graphic's wiz to whip up. And all I need is one default.flc to use for run, attack, victory, etc.

I appreciate any help I can get on this. Many thanks.

Plus if you made the file so instead of not having any picture at all you could have just footprints on the ground.:lol:

The healthbar would still be there, wouldnt it? And I do believe a blank storyboard would work, but who has the time to generate a blank storyboard and export it?? :p

Oh I understand your idea!

I've already created the Shadow Warrior. Here's a pic of him in action. Let me know if that's what you're thinking of...

Attachments

• shadow warrior.jpg
    shadow warrior.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 296
Eclipse: I like your shadow warrior. That's sort of the idea I was thinking of, but I actually wanted a blank storyboard. It's not as flashy as the shadow warrior, but hey, it's supposed to be invisible. :) Technically, isn't light supposed to pass through invisible things, so they don't leave shadows? But, I could probably find a use for your shadow warrior for a different type of unit.

Pesoloco: I would still give the unit the submarine ability, to complete the effect. I'd probably use something like the cruise missle death .flc for it's death animation (magical creatures tend to die in a spectacular manner). I'd probably have too give it hidden nationality too, otherwise you wouldn't be able to tell which nation's invisible stalker you were attacking.

I suppose it would be hard to tell if it were fortified, but the hit point bar would still be showing on the map. Anyways, if someone has the time to make a black storyboard, I would greatly appreciate it. This isn't something that would take too long, would it? Many thanks.

I was going to make this for you when you first posted but I was sure someone else would beat me to it. I come back...still no invisible flc so here it is. Took all of 4 minutes! It should work OK though I didn't game test it.

I had an idea like this once. If Firaxis would allow us to have more than two barbarian types I thought I would like to add a unit (for the barbs only) called "The Plague." It would have this sort of animation (none) and would be "submarine." Give it really high attack and almost no defense. It could go around pillaging and attacking units until you figured out where it is then it would be easy to kill. Sigh...maybe one day.

Here's the flc... Let me know if it doesn't work for some reason.

Tell me if it looks OK! :lol:

Sorry no preview... ;)

My best unit yet! :D

Should I start a thread in the Unit Graphics forum? :confused:

Seriously tho...no need to give me credit for a blank flic.

Eclipse...I'd miss those crazy barbarian horsemen.

I'm going to use your shadow warrior as an early predecessor to Assassins. Thanks. Look forward to all those other units you've been working on (did I read 30 of them!?!?) :eek:

I didn't know that land units could use the submarine ability to be undetected. Now I took a look in the editor and saw that it is possible. My question is: Is there any way to give an item the submarine ability, which it may only use on a specific sort of terrain?

Here's why:

I was thinking of a Tolkien-type scenario, and I thought that it would be nice for the Ents (Big moving tree-like creatures) to be camouflaged inside forests. Then when they'd come out onto plains or mountains or anything they'd be visible. This would be sweet, with Ents laying cool ambushes and paranoid enemies chopping down all the forests around them to prevent such an ambush... :)

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to give the submarine ability to units for only certain types of terrain, though I agree with you that would be cool to be able to do that.

I was going to make this for you when you first posted but I was sure someone else would beat me to it. I come back...still no invisible flc so here it is. Took all of 4 minutes! It should work OK though I didn't game test it. Here's the flc... Let me know if it doesn't work for some reason.

Unfortunately the "invisible unit has disapeared (or may be it´s so invisible that I can´t see it in this thread).

Please can somebody repost this unit or do it again (may be if possible with a hidden health bar)?

I could need it as a placeholder unit for some otherwise missing units in a small download (under 10 MB) here and may be as an invasion telepad (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=208023).

I hope, now I have the new CFC-Bumping-record.:lol: (greetings to Virote_Considon)
But this unit is really needed. :D

Well, I have an invisible unit here: Invisible Unit

I use it as a unit that you can find as you go about on your travels in my Greek scenario.

Also, you bumped it a couple of months too early! :p

Thank you my friend, I have dlled it (and really need it).

Although with the thought to protest, because this unit has no running, attack and death animation I had to laugh very loud. :lol: The date today isn´t so bad for this megabump, as today in my region is the culminating day of carneval. :rudolf:

BTW.: This is the closest smiley with a red nose for carneval. You must think away the horns on that smily

Top Bottom