[MOD] Arteran: The Three Empires

cybrxkhan

Asian Xwedodah
ARTERAN: The Three Empires

(And NOT the Three Kingdoms!)​

Overview: Arteran: The Three Empires is a “semi-total-conversion-Mod” (or a big scenario) about the rise and fall of a vast land, known as Arteran, in a modernized world that still has many elements of older days. It takes place in an unspecified future time, but dates in Arteran are referred to as “BA” and “AA”.
The mod features custom made civs, units, governments, “religions”, buildings, music, a world map, and hopefully python created events, and more.
This is my first attempt at real modding, so this may be kind of modest…

Story: For thousands of years, or so the books say, Arteran has been inhabited by states, nations and empires, all vying for total control. And yet, none have been successful.
407 BA – One thousand years ago the Great Wars ended. Out of the ashes of the great and terrible war, fourteen states emerge. Some are old, others new, and some in between, but each is solidly existent. It seems like after centuries, peace has finally come. Of course, this could all change with a series of events… To the north, nomads calling themselves the Oslaitvae’r have been growing in power, the tribes becoming all too friendlier – whether it is decades or centuries, it seems the various tribes of the Oslaitvae’r would sooner or later unite into one, large, destabilizing force… and even within Arteran itself, the various nations aren’t quite so friendly despite what politicians say… there is secrecy and espionage, alliances and betrayals…
It seems that the Second Great Wars are upon Arteram… is the end of the old world order? In these unpredictable times, which nation has the determination, strength, wit, luck, and skill to survive and conquer these unpredictable times?

Current Version: Version 0.50 is now available.
Version 0.50 is a serious and large upgrade to Version 0.20. It includes new and fixed civilizations, units, buildings, ideologies (replacing religions), civics, techs, a new and revised map, a whole new era, and other small changes. In order to win (if playing the map), a time victory must be achieved within 182 turns, or a domination victory covering 66% of the world.

Version 0.50 is the FINAL version for this mod, unfortunately, at least until BtS comes out. I may occasionally release some patches here and there. However, in the end, Version 0.50 is probably the furthest I’ll get on this mod. This is not the end of my “career” in modding, though, as I do have some other little projects ready to be released soon…

To install (IMPORTANT): Unzip the contents of the zip. Place “The Three Empires” folder in you mod folder. Having done so, you will have another files, a map of Arteran. YOU MUST place it in this folder in order to play the mod with the map - Sid Meier's Civilization 4\PublicMaps.

You can play the mod with or without the map, at least for this version. However, it is advisable to play the map.

WARNING: THIS MOD DOES NOT HAVE A WARLORDS VERSION (and not for a while too).

DOWNLOAD Version 0.50 HERE

NOTE: If you have any long comments, suggestions, or insults (hopefully productive ones), please do not post them on this thread, but THIS one. Also, if you want to help, feel free to ask... any help is... er... helpful (especially python)!

Version 0.50 Information:

Spoiler :

List of Changes:

- Added new secondary UUs to major civs
- Implemented new buildings, replacing all old buildings
- Replaced religions with “ideologies”
- Implemented new civics, replacing all old civics
- Implemented new technologies, replacing (sort of) all the old techs
- Provided new map, replacing old map
- Only one game speed is now present (Normal)
- All projects (except SDI) have been removed
- Added a new era (Age of the Three Empires)
- Added civilopedia and strategy text for much of new game additions
- Added a few new traits to some of the leaders (may cause some game imbalance)
- Changed all leaders attitudes (in order they do not resemble vanilla leaders)
- Added in game soundtrack and many more new audio sounds
- Implemented “heroes” (one time built super-units, only available to major civs)
- Fixed a few of the old graphics
- Added one new promotion, “Glory”, useful for invasions
- Implemented TheLopez’s Dawn of Man mod
- Replaced some static leaderheads with animated ones (almost all are not my work)

Note: An error will show, upon loading, stating an XML problem. However, this has not been found to effect gameplay. If a problem does arise, or if an error in the game files are found, please notify me.

Attachments

• units.jpg
    units.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 641
  • diplomacy.jpg
    diplomacy.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 479
  • map.jpg
    map.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 485
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 457
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 354
Civilizations:
There will be {18} civilizations total, eight of which are playable. Each playable one will not only have one unique unit, but three. Also, each leader, regardless, now has not only two, but three or even four traits (all traits are original ones not from the vanilla game). Why? Actually, it isn’t as good as it sounds. Traits may have bad effects too… some, for example, may cause you to have corruption, or perhaps make people angry… there are also neutral traits, which do both good and bad things. In the end, if one would give a “good” trait a value of +1, a “neutral” trait a value of 0, and a “bad” trait of -1, each leader would end up with the value of 0 – in other words, all the traits balance each other out.

So, now, you have to be careful when you choose a leader with all too good qualities – he may have some you don’t want too!

A short description of the civs (for version 0.20):

Aidis: Arguably the oldest political entity of Arteran, Aidis was once a great imperial power, virtually controlling the south and center of Arteran. Those days were gone as soon as Arteran fell into chaos with the fall of Aidis’ old rival, Cedarin. And yet, in the chaos, Aidis faced a perilous doom… but it is older than five millennia, older than even ten millennia! It survived, smaller, weaker, perhaps, but it still has its spirit, and what more, it has the capability to expand once more, if it were not for the barbarians and invaders that now threaten Arteran once more...

Besera: One of the youngest powers in Arteran, Besera was built upon militaristic foundations, conquering over eight times its original size; its power lies in its large hold of land, resources, and its brute strength. As it is relatively new, it has yet to show true exercise of its newfound power, and even if it can, but it is known that Besera will definitely be influential to the world of Arteran, and if not now, very soon.

Ciafis:
One of the successor states of Cedarin, the largest empire of Arteran, which had collapsed centuries earlier, Ciafis is Cedarin’s successor culturally. Though smaller in size (it was unable to expand much land in the disorder following the fall of Cedarin) compared to the other powers, its greatest asset is its diplomatic abilities. No nation is known to be so friendly, so lighthearted. All its leaders, male or female, young or old, wise or foolish, all have had be known for some kind of good-natured personality… perhaps, with such skills, Ciafis can help unite Arteran in the face of trouble.

Talus:
The true successor of Cedarin politically, Talus was built on patriotic hopes of one day reuniting the lands of Cedarin into one great empire, and to once more have a chance against the old enemy, Aidis. Yet, Talus, despite its size, began small, and had to use all its assets to gain control of the east politically. It has gained power, much power, and with this power, it may have a reasonable chance of reviving the old empire of Cedarin… of course, once the barbaric invaders and the other nations are out of the way.

Solbiar:
Solbiar is another successor of Cedarin, but only by territory, wielding about two thirds of Cedarin in its empire’s days. Though not very influential in world affairs as of yet, Solbiar is very stable, and has strong ties with the other successors of Cedarin, namely Talus and Ciafis. Perhaps, with such, Solbiar can once more help bring about the restoration of Cedarin.

Xemar: A very small state situated in the south, next to Aidis, Xemar was not always so small. The closest and most loyal of allies of Aidis, they had stayed close to Aidis through its troubles (most of the time), and in those days, they were the most influential power in the east. In the confusion following the collapse of Cedarin, Xemar too had suffered, losing three fourths of its territory. And yet, like Aidis, it still remains firm. Its economy is not in complete shambles. Its military is still reasonably capable. Its politicians are not completely corrupt. It still has a chance to become the largest power of Arteran – but only after Aidis…

Nun Devos: Nun Devos was an ancient province of Aidis that secured its independence with the decline of Aidis. Nun Devos managed to control most of the territory between the southern and central mountains, making it the most powerful “minor” nation. It has maintained good ties with every nation (save the barbarians), something which the other nations have never achieved, and so far, has shown talent in using diplomacy to end hostilities, and even more remarkable, taking sides in conflicts, and still keeping good relations… however, as divisions within Arteran grow once more, Nun Devos, as a growing power, may have to chose a side real soon… and being in the center of Arteran, it may be a difficult decision with unimaginable consequences…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Other unplayable civs (Playable in version 0.20):

Inox: Inox was originally a part of Xemar that gained independence a little before the wars between Cedarin and Aidis. Inox enjoys a mutual pact with Xemar. Varalikos, and Aidis that provides it protection, though as it lays pretty much in the corner of Arteran, no one really wants or needs to invade it.

Varalikos: Another nation once part of Xemar, Varalikos, in the period of disorder, expanded quickly and was able to hold half of the original Xemarian land. Part of the four-way pact between Xemar, Inox, Aidis, and themselves, Varalikos, despite the pact, generally stays out of international disputes, and only under rare occasions will they bother to.

Yeros: A minor successor state of Cedarin, Yeros has been, for quite a long time a vassal of Ciafis officially. However, Ciafis has been quite a lenient master, letting its servant have free will and choice. Yeros has yet to show any power, although they have shown much sign of diplomatic activity.

Keintapa:
One of the ancient nations, Keintapa has seen rise and fall, war and peace, good and bad, life and death, and it suffered greatly throughout the many conflicts of Arteran, for it was placed in the open grasslands and plains of the north, a large entity, filled with strategic land and resources, a gleaming gem for all the desperate nations… Now revived, a revolution has toppled the old government. Keintapa stronger than it once was, and now, if it is allowed to expand unnoticed, may prove a dangerous threat.

Quincerem: Living by the lake of Quincerem, the Quinceremi have always based their life on the lake. But, lately, within the last few centuries, Quincerem has doubled in size, and now controls a strategic passageway from the northern grasslands and plains to the ones in the center. Because of this, it may face a threat it never really needed…

Etedume: A state born out of the chaotic northwest, Etedume unexpectedly rose to become the prominent state of the northwest, where Aidis had once clashed with Cedarin and Cedarin’s ally Ulronon. But, of course, those days are no more. Despite its isolated position, Etedume has much diplomatic contact, yet is a very neutral nation.

Lucan: The smallest recognized nation of Arteran, Lucan is the most isolated, though it still has minimum diplomatic contacts and keeps small trade with its neighbors Besera and Quincerem. Though the entire nation is defended by a wall of mountainous terrain, they are very close to the desert barbarians, which will, obviously, prove very hazardous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unplayable “barbarian” civs: Though unplayable and considered “barbarian” civilizations, these civilizations will be very important, especially in game events. All their units will be unique or at least have different flavors. As of version 0.20, only the Oslaitvae'r are on the game map, although the Haskula are playable in a regular game.

Oslaitvae’r:
Yes, hard to pronounce, and their leaders' names even harder. The most civilized of the “barbarians”, they are theoretically an independent nation. May launch massive invasions from the northeast in the middle to later stages of the game. They will be led by the bloodthirsty Duhe Rimakekinjurezetalleran (or Rimak for short).

Galloa:
Not really a barbarian civ, but launches huge assaults periodically once every millennia or two. Of unknown origin, Galloans are actually very civilized and sophisticated. They will appear at the very beginning of the game, attacking near Aidis. Their leader is the General Amphitryon Levus. (may not be included in mod)

Aokopoi:
A small band which will raid a little than leave between the early and middle parts of the game, and otherwise is of no importance. Their leader is Rufta Asalen. (may not be included in mod)

Haskula: Appearing near the very end, these are "demons from hell", who will leave all of Arteran in ashes and a fiery pit of doom… unless, of course, they are stopped. They make all of the other invaders combined look like saints. They are led by Dulam Hradjukasun, or Hradju for short. (may not appear in first few pre-initial releases)

FEATURES

Units:

The Three Empires will feature completely new units, about half with new skins, and most of the units from Civilization will be removed. However, even those that remain will have revamped powers to reflect the world of Arteran. Also, all units will have increased movement, to reflect realism, and increased costs, to stop people from having situations like “I don’t really feel like building any more tanks because I already have a gazillion as I can build them in one turn in half of my cities.
However, note that there are a limit to the amount of mechanized units in Arteran, because of supposed limit of resources (or global warming, whatever way you see it).

Religion --> Ideology
(Not available in version 0.20)

Religion has now been replaced with “Ideologies”, pretty much systems of not only political beliefs, but beliefs in the way economy, culture, social life, and other matters should be handled. There will be seven in all: Imperialism, Pactism, Naivetan, Solitism, Agarvism, International Unionism, and Mutualism. Each will provide different pros and cons. On the world map, each one, except International Unionism, will have already been founded and have spread to different locations.

Buildings and Wonders
Not fully implemented in version 0.20

Although some of the buildings and wonders will remain, often with different names, and perhaps slightly different effects, other new structures will also be added to give the mod more flavor.

Civics

All the civics will be replaced by new ones, three for each category. The “Legal” category has been replaced by a category called “Welfare”, dealing with how domestically the citizen’s needs are handled.

Technology tree

Originally, I had planned to obliterate technology altogether, but I have decided that is unnecessary and perhaps would destroy certain elements of the game. However, there will be few techs to research, probably fewer than twenty. Anyways, most of the units and structures will be available from the start of the game.
Also, there will now be a separate section of the tech tree, which you can call the "civilization upgrade". Featuring three or four categories, like culture and economy for example, these techs will provide not units, buildings, or such things, but bonuses and abilities for your civilization to use. Also, these techs will be giving a hefty score boost.

Python

Unfortunately, as I have nil experience in real programming, this WILL be the hardest part. However, I do hope to study the python from other mods and be able to simulate barbarian invasions. I also hope to simulate the diplomatic crises that may happen. If you can help, that would be great.

VICTORY CONDITIONS

And, of course, how to win. There are only, and only, two ways:

1. Domination: Dominate 90% of Arteran, or 90% of the population of Arteran. Very easy.
2. Time: Get a high score by the time the Arteran is in complete chaos… or not.

Credits and thanks to:

White, Rabbit, C. Roland, and all the graphics artists for posting their creations here to be used.

Sovarn, White, Rabbit, Ralendil, Chamaedrys, and Charcoal for their tutorials.

Beethoven, the Total War Series, Empire Earth II, and Command and Conquer: Generals for music.

And everyone else I forgot to mention...

Version history:
Spoiler :
Version 0.50 (In Progress, Almost Somewhat Complete)
- Implement structures and wonders
- Implement game music
- Implement new leader traits
- Implement new graphics, such as leaderheads
- Fix scenario map

Version 0.20:

- Implemented new civilizations
- Implemented new civics
- Implemented most units
- Created scenario map

Known issues/bugs/problems:

- The Guerilla button for the Quinceremi civilization is pink
- The text for the Oslaitvae'r is incorrect

Teaser

I've decided to post some screenies to show my work in progress...

Today's screenshot (look at the lower left corner) :D
Spoiler :
holy ---- its a spearman!.jpg
Holy ****! Its a spearman! Run for your lives!!!! :spear:

And... mod will feature leaders with VERY distinct personalities. take this for example... (it goes on for at least ten more lines, i think.
blah blah blah.jpg

thank you sir!

to all who bother to read, i am nearing the end of making version 0.50. after this, however, it will get a little harder to follow my "master plan", as i meet a nice little obstacle... python.
unfortunately, because i am right now learning my first TRUE programming language, C++, i don't really have time to learn python, at least for now.

so, i would like to ask for ANYONE with any experience in python, please, if you can help, i would greatly appreciate your assistance. i don't care how bad or amazing anyone's abilities is, as long as you can do something, i would greatly greatly greatly appreciate your help.

thank you all,
cybrxkhan

I assume that you've checked the mod components section to see if anything already made could be of use.

Also, if you have a specific python event you need coded you could always ask in the main C&C. If it's easy/quick I've seen some of our gurus whip them up just for fun. :p

Rosemary: blah blah blah blah blah blah
Me: blah blah blah blah blah blah
Rosemary: Blah blah? :O
Me: Blah blah! :)
Rosemary: Blah... Blah blah blah!
Me: Blah! ^^

it means cool, i will check :)

Rosemary: blah blah blah blah blah blah
Me: blah blah blah blah blah blah
Rosemary: Blah blah? :O
Me: Blah blah! :)
Rosemary: Blah... Blah blah blah!