Civ to play, and how to select opponents

We can play the Japanese. As for our opponents, we should have them randomly selected.

Opponents, Random for sure

Us... I prefer Random, but I have no problem with choosing one.

I agree that random is the best. But not the in-game random. I think it would be best to make a shortlist of about 5-10 civs, and use an online randomizer to select one of them.

I'm surprised at no mention of civ traits which are amenable to DG style play. The short list and then randomize idea sounds good too, because we can have a little control over getting a civ which is easy to role play out of game.

My shortlist:
Saladin, Bismarck, Gandhi, Catherine, Isabella

Now that I think about it, maybe the in-game randomizer is the best way to go. If we select civs via shortlist, we already know what were in for, and it provides us with an unfair advantage, considering we can develop strategy earlier (I.e. not going for an early religion, because were going to adopt Isabella's anyway.)

My proposal is (don't know if that was clear) that we randomize all the opponents in game, but randomize our civ first by using an online RNG. So we won't know if Isabella is in the game (unless we decide to be Isabella of course)

My proposal is (don't know if that was clear) that we randomize all the opponents in game, but randomize our civ first by using an online RNG. So we won't know if Isabella is in the game (unless we decide to be Isabella of course)
Ah, misread it then. I guess it's a pretty good idea, since we wouldn't run the risk of getting terribly bad civ/leader by using a shortlist.

Or a terribly good leader, playing Julius Caesar on prince isn't exactly a challenge.

I don't know. I advocate any builder-geared leader.

As for opponents, anything is OK by me.

Random everything works for me.

Are we playing this on Vanilla or Warlords? I'd prefer Vanilla because I don't have Warlords; but I gather that Warlords may be the better game.

Random everything works for me.

Are we playing this on Vanilla or Warlords? I'd prefer Vanilla because I don't have Warlords; but I gather that Warlords may be the better game.

That's probably worth its own topic. I'm pressed for time (Nyquil (TM) kicking in), jump on in there.

I think we should think closer about using a short list. Do we have an idea of how we want to play this game, what victory type we want to shoot for?

Top Bottom