Medieval European Mod II Preview

embryodead

Caliph
As some may remember I tried to resurrect Yoda's MEM, one of my favorite mods, back in 2004. It eventually became basically a new mod, but it stayed on my computer since I had a rather long break from Civ. After I came back I've re-resurrected it, and at this point the mod is nearing completion. Right now, together with Yoda Power, we're working on more features and missing gameplay stuff. I'm also trying to fill in some leaderhead/unit gaps (the attempts have been posted here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=201802 ), and round up the background pedia. I'll be posting more information gradually; comments good and bad, questions and suggestions are all welcome ;) It's never too late to change stuff, and there's still some work to do when it comes to historical part.

Note: most screenshots here have thumbnails because of the size, just click on each for a full picture.

Idea

I was torn between working on a mod and a scenario. I generally prefer mods due to their replay value, but scenarios give much more ground for special features that can only work with pre-placed cities, resources and modified victory conditions. There's also the issue of historical accuracy which can be portrayed much better in a scenario, whereas a mod based on a historical period is doomed to raise suspicions among the historians ;) Eventually I settled with a mod that comes in several variants. In short, you can play:
- on a random map
- on a clean pre-made map (most likely more than one to choose from)
- on a populated pre-made map with modified civs, rules and victory conditions (a.k.a. conquest/scenario)

The default 110x130 map for the mod, by Yoda, after some tweaking. It's just about the right size (does not require a next-gen computer to handle), has varied, realistic terrain and it's fun to play with anything between 16 and 31 civs (I mostly play with 31):

Civs

There are 31 playable medieval states, each with some special units, features, religion (which determines the availability of some different improvements, wonders, units, governments etc.) and mercenary units based on historical location. Some civs are more apt for a specific victory (e.g. Cordova and Burgundy for cultural), but not limited to, at this point. I cannot decide if this should be a mod feature (in such case, only civs like Portugal, Castile and Venice would be able to win through expedition (SS) etc.) or leave it generic and try to do it on a scenario level only, especially since the lack of VP-scoring in a mod rules out some of the possible features (like a trade victory).

The list for the basic (random & clean Europe map) version is:
Northern group: England, Scotland, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden
European group: France, Burgundy, Castile, Portugal, Germany, Bohemia, Hungary, Poland, Lithuania, Rus, Novgorod
Mediterranean group: Aragon, Italy, Sicily, Venice
Byzantine/Balkan group: Byzantines, Bulgars, Serbia
Middle-Eastern group: Armenia, Khazaria, Turks, Tatars, Abbasids, Fatimids, Cordova, Almohads

Pedia entry for Lithuania

This represents the most important states from the whole timeline (700-1550 AD) the mod takes place in. In other words, a vanilla-like epic game. Scenario version(s), placed in a more specific point of time, will have a slightly different set of civs to represent that given period. The cultural division is meant to provide visual variety (cities, buildings etc.). The division by religion (Christianity, Islam and Khazar Judaism) is more important gameplay-wise.

Pedia entry for Religion

Techs

The tech tree is fairly normal, it spans 4 eras and has some religion- and civ-specific branches. Advancement is based on some research to achieve at least an approximate accuracy with the historical timeline. The Pikeman comes actually long *after* the Knight etc. ;) The timeline is roughly from after the Migration Period is over, to Renaissance (700-1550). There are some stretches of course, like the presence of Hagia Sofia (fortunately as one of the earliest wonders), but who can imagine Middle Ages without such an obvious symbolic building?

Viking Age (~700-1050)

High Middle Ages (~1050-1250)

Late Middle Ages (~1250-1450)

Renaissance (~1450-1550)

Other information

So far there's 35 Great Wonders, 24 Small Wonders, 41 City Improvements, 10 Governments and a balanced set of units (enough to span through 4 eras, with unique and culture-specific units, but not enough to cause the "hypertext links exceeded" error on any of the resources).

Basic version includes all victory conditions for all kingdoms, including the "Space Ship" equivalent and somewhat hypothetical "Diplomatic" one. That is, unless a viable solution turns up, in which case non-conquest/domination victory conditions would only be given to specific civs.

Overpopulation as well as city walls, harbors, ports etc. are responsible for spreading of diseases (replaces pollution).

Default terrain modpack is Sn00py's, modified for European setting. Below is a screenshot of a random map game, which shows, among other things, the Woodland terrain, a new idea by Yoda:

Full civilopedia: rules & background information for the most part based on the Absolute Source of Knowledge(TM) known as Wikipedia ;) I'd say that for this purpose, it works well though:

Thanks to the awesome PediaIcons Checker tool, I can at least promise that there are no crash-to-desktop bugs. The mod has been played by me & YP so far; beta is possible if there's some interest.

Oooooh... Very nice looking mod! Can't wait!

Also I am working on atleast one scenario that features the rules of the mod. I don't know if it will be released together with the mod or after it, but we'll see.

Here is the map from the scenario. Maybe you can figure out what the scenario is about from looking at it. ;)

It looks stretched in the game, so I turned it back to it's actual size.

I have a question about the tech-tree.. whats that horseman unit doing in the Diplomacy tech?

As YP has said, Diplomacy grants access the first mercenary unit. Those are hired with the rare and "moving" gold resource (a logical shortcut, although I tried to give a historical explanation in the pedia, has to do with the scarcity of gold bulion in the Middle Ages), and provides a middle-ground alternative to normal units. Mercenary type depends on the civ, e.g. Western European states can hire Slavs, and later Swiss Pikemen, while Eastern European states can hire Alan and Cuman horsemen etc.

Wow, this looks great!! [party]

But I do have one question. It's really just a question, it's not a proposal at all (I'm not Partizanac :p :D): what are you going to do with the lands of Moldavia and Wallachia? Which civ is going to get them? Or will they be empty lands to settle on? :)

And another question: I've never heard of Khazaria, Abbasids (same as Abbysinians maybe?), Almohads, and I'm not quite sure I've heard of the Fatimids. Where will the be placed on the map?

And another question: I've never heard of Khazaria, Abbasids (same as Abbysinians maybe?), Almohads, and I'm not quite sure I've heard of the Fatimids. Where will the be placed on the map?
They are all Muslim kingdoms. IIRC the Almohads are from the southern Spain / Morocco area, the Abbasids from the Mesopotamia / Syria area, and the Fatmids are from Tunisia / Egypt.

EDIT - Oh, and the Khazars were Turks.

But I do have one question. It's really just a question, it's not a proposal at all (I'm not Partizanac :p :D): what are you going to do with the lands of Moldavia and Wallachia? Which civ is going to get them? Or will they be empty lands to settle on? :)

I was considering Wallachia, esp. with the excellent Vlad Tepes LH available, but it eventually lost to the 31-civ and population density limits (just like the Flemish, Persians or Teutonic Order & Kingdom of Jerusalem, which were postponed to a scenario). The main arguments were that for the most part of Middle Ages, Romanian lands were either under control of Hungary, Bulgaria (and that's the usual settling pattern on the map) etc. or seperated into 3 states, as you mentioned, Moldavia, Wallachia and Transylvania. Then, the map is rather densely populated in the Balkans. I'd definitely include Wallachia in Late Middle Ages when it was most prominent, but otherwise, I had to make 31 choices for the basic 700-1550 game :(

Keroro is correct, I'll just add some more info:
Abbasids were a dynasty of Sunni Caliphs that ruled the Arab Empire from Baghdad for over 500 years. Basically "the" Arabs.
Fatimids were a competing dynasty of Shi'ite Muslims, they originated from Tunisia and later founded and ruled from Cairo, Egypt. That's the Middle Ages Egypt, although it was later ruled by the Ayyubids and Mamluks.
Almohads were another Muslim dynasty, probably the most prominent rulers of Marocco & Maghreb (they also ruled Spain). A less specific name would be the Berbers or Moors.

It's just more accurate to refer to Muslim kingdoms by their ruling dynasties, although that too is debatable in this case e.g. if the mod spans 700-1550, would it be better to use the name Egypt, instead of a specific dynasty? But then again, "Egypt" as an entity sounds just so ancient ;)

Khazars were nomadic turkic people that ruled Northen Caucasus. They were supposedly one of the most powerful states in the Early Middle Ages, until the Rus' destroyed them, razing their cities to the ground.

Top Bottom