Europe Map (54 x 44 - small)

Arne

King
Beside my standard Europe Map here is now also a Small Map of Europe. This is a very fist version now, wich (probably) still need some adjustment. So I would be happy about some comments.

Whats with this map?

Europe Map 54x44 (this seems to be small)
12 Civlilizations
Warlord compatible only

Installation

Just download the mapfile in your Warlords PublicMaps folder. Start as scenario.

Where to get?

Here (Download)
Preview from minimap

Well, just from looking at the map in the worldbuilder, I can already see lots of things I like.

I like the much lower density of resources in Russia compared to Western Europe. Also I like the addition of the Mongols (to represent the Golden Horde).

In your standard version, I had to manually go in and add lots of barbarians into the Russian region, so as to stunt Russia's growth and make the game balanced. It looks like the smaller version will be ready-to-go as is. :goodjob:

I'm glad you enjoyed my maps. So please let me know, what you are thinking about this small map so far. I allready noticed, the greeks need some more strategic ressources. It seems, I missed them when placing that things.

I love the map. It is actually amazing how balanced the civs were throughout the game.

Although, I used the "raging barbarian" option in a hope that it would curtail the expansion of the eastern civs. The problem is that it worked too well in some ways. It took a long time for Russia to gain parity with the rest of the continent, although they eventually moved into second place. In hindsight I would probably leave this option off, because I like the prospect of fighting a powerful Russia that can throw masses of troops westward - just not so powerful so as to be impossible to beat.

Another thing I did was slighly alter the positions of two coal resources within German territory. The reason was simply that they were both in what I felt was an optimal place to plop a city, and I just hate losing a resources production bonus because a city is on top of it. Perhaps that is a wussy way to play, but oh well. :) It isn't like I added resources or anything, just gave them a one-tile move.

As for the Greeks, you may be right, but they actually seemed to do surprisingly well in my game, being in the middle-ranks for the whole game. It might be because the sea helps to block out barbarian invasions, allowing them to focus their military northward to further their growth.

The civs that seem to lag the most are the Celts and the Carthaginians, although the Celts might be stunted because they are next to Germany and I purposely try and crowd them out.

When I play again, I will probably turn raging barbarians off, so as to make the Russians more powerful.

Although, I used the "raging barbarian" option in a hope that it would curtail the expansion of the eastern civs. The problem is that it worked too well in some ways.
Yea, may be, if you play with raging barbs on, there will be a little to much room for barbarians in the east. I personally didn't test this map very much for now, but I think, the presence of Mongol Empire (representing all that mounted fellows that reaches Europe from east during its history) should reduce the danger of flooding barbarians.

Another thing I did was slighly alter the positions of two coal resources within German territory. The reason was simply that they were both in what I felt was an optimal place to plop a city, and I just hate losing a resources production bonus because a city is on top of it. Perhaps that is a wussy way to play, but oh well. :) It isn't like I added resources or anything, just gave them a one-tile move.
True, but this kind of things can happen in every game and on every map. So I'm not sure, if I should change here soemthing.

As for the Greeks, you may be right, but they actually seemed to do surprisingly well in my game, being in the middle-ranks for the whole game. It might be because the sea helps to block out barbarian invasions, allowing them to focus their military northward to further their growth.
You are right again, they allready have resources, the only thing is... compared to other (west)european Civs, they own a lower number (and quality) of ressorces. Nonetheless they may do it well.

The civs that seem to lag the most are the Celts and the Carthaginians, although the Celts might be stunted because they are next to Germany and I purposely try and crowd them out.
I'm not really happy with the SP of the Celts, but I think, this is the best solution on this map so far.

True, but this kind of things can happen in every game and on every map. So I'm not sure, if I should change here soemthing..

I don't think you should change it. I was just giving an overview of how I played the map. :)

I'm not really happy with the SP of the Celts, but I think, this is the best solution on this map so far.

I played another game as the Romans, and the Celts did much better - being a middle of the pack civ. I think when I played as the Germans, I just crowded out their growth. I also actually like the way that the Celts tend to play the role of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Seriously though, with barbs off, the game is almost perfectly balanced. There are usually about 6 civs withint 100-200 points of each other half way through the game.

I don't think you have to change anything

csn you turn this into vannila, extension change blah blah blah you know
800th post

Sobieski II: Thatnk you again. I think, there are some little things to do, but I'm very glad you like the maps as they are now.

s.c.dude: renaming dosn't work here, since there are Warlords leaders and civs included. May be, as soon as I call this map finished, I will convert it to vanilla too.

Hello, first I must say thank you for this map it is very fun to play on!
I think it is quite balanced, I have played one game as Rome and one as England the only problems I started having were later in the game it became very hard to find coal or oil unless you attacked Germany or Mongols.
I eventually added Coal to the hills SW of the Alps so France Rome and Spain can have something to fight for, and an extra oil in spain on the east coast.
Also there were no goodie huts? is this on purpose or did I miss something.

Aside from a few little problems I say this is my favorite 'real world' map so far, have had lots of fun and some crazy religious wars in both games. Thank you!

thx. i like small maps. will try it and if find some things to change will update my post ;)

Also there were no goodie huts? is this on purpose or did I miss something.
True, there are none. This is mainly, becouse they are always on same place. So if one want to play this map twice ore more, then every time one will know where the huts are (at least for big parts of the map). Do you still think, nevertheless there should be some?

Aside from a few little problems I say this is my favorite 'real world' map so far, have had lots of fun and some crazy religious wars in both games.
:)

True, there are none. This is mainly, becouse they are always on same place. So if one want to play this map twice ore more, then every time one will know where the huts are (at least for big parts of the map). Do you still think, nevertheless there should be some?

Personally like the huts to make the early game more interesting. I only play single-player though so I can see this will be a problem for multi-player game. However can just add them in myself before my next game :D

I think Napoleon hates me, attacked every game so far :lol:

Also I think the Celtic starting place is good, keeps Germany and Greece in check and like was mentioned they play like Austria-hungary empire.

:goodjob:

I'm currently playing a game as Rome. I've tried other Europe maps, but they always were to big since Europe maps will ussualy have double the land as a standerd map of its side. The Celts homeland is not only good to fill in space, but historically accurate. The Celtic homeland is in northern Austria and Switzerland and southern Germany. The only thing that this doesn't show is Celts expanding to west.

I do have two recomendations:

1. Move the Ottomans southwest. This will encourage them to expand in Asia Minor first so Grece won't be so crowded. Also, being able to cut off land access to start a large area of the map is simply so early is simply unfair. Also this is where the Ottoman Empire was founded.

Spoiler :

This map shows were they started (in the small circle in northwestern Aisia Minor). Sorry it is so big, it was the only map could find. (atleast I put in a spoiler)

2. Just put a couple goody huts near each civ's starting spot. put them close enough that each civ will probably get the same amount. This makes knowledge of where they are useless.

Another great Euro map, althougth, take a look at the early growth for every SP. I do believe, rome, for example needs a fish or a crab.

I love the fact that you decided to grant cartago a tactical resourse like oil. Maybe your ought to consider it for your standard sized euro as well. Just a few thoughts...

Thanks again and keep it up, we all love your work! :D

Top Bottom