Aloha Embassy

Team Aloha
Leader: Chief Aloha
Civ: Catherine, Russia
Traits: Creative, Financial
UU: Cossack

Proposed first Letter:

Hail Aloha!

Greetings from the golden halls of Epsilon Eridani! The Leader of Epsilon Team sends you his warm regards.

We have heard tales of your wonderful people, and have at last caught sight of one of your mighty ships sailing off the coast of Piffle land.

We are a naturally peaceful people, and if you’ll agree, we believe there is much we can learn and trade together. For example, in honor of this first glorious meeting, The Leader, may he live forever, would like to offer you an amazing deal on our knowledge of Theology(500:science: ) for just 200 gold. If you're interested, we'd be willing to transfer this knowledge to you right away, and let you pay over time on a payment plan we could work out. (We could also throw in Archery for just 15 gold?)

So how say you? What are your intentions for this world?
We eagerly await your reply.

Sincerely Yours,
Foreign Minister General_W
Epsilon Team!

That's Theology at 40% - try to undercut a possible Loco deal… and Archery at just over 20% ala DaveMcW's "obsolete tech missing to only 1 civ" formula.

Comments? Feedback?
Would like to send this off soon.
:salute:

ok - Thanks Peter! :salute:

Since the save is already on the move (Loco just sent it to Piffle) I'm going to go ahead and send this.

:lol: Interesting to Note that Aloha is the weakest on the Power Score.....

Heard back from Aloha,

Greetings General W and Epsilon team

I (BCLG) shall be dealing with foreign matter for the team and right now your offer is under discussion, we hope to get back to you about it shortly.

In regards to the e-mail situation, gmail is still probably the best bet incase i dont manage to get to it, someone else can pick it up :). Should we send messages via this address or do you want another account?

Regards
BCLG

I responded with this quick note:
BCLG,

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly.
It's easiest for me if you just send letters here to my personal e-mail - so if that works for you, let's just keep at this!

I'm posting your letter in our forum now. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

- General W

So now we wait and see!

I don't make mistakes like that.
There's no proof I said that.

:mischief:

Because we already have a deal with Loco to get Music.

eh - it's still a deal eitherway. Would be very poor form to start off by ignoring the phase 1 deal, imho.
The ability to break the agreement is just stated in there in case someting strategy-changing comes up... at least that's my read on it.

Well – I'm guessing that's a "No" on our proposal to sell Aloha Archery and Theology… since they now have both. :mad:

I propose sending this note:
Dear BCLG and all Alohas,

Well, we've never heard back from you officially, but our scouts report that you've acquired both Theology and Archery recently… so we'll assume that was a "no thanks" on our offer to sell them to you. :lol:

It appears the only tech we have that you don't is now Compass(400:science: ) – would you be interested in working out a deal on that? We'd be happy to entertain any suggestions you'd like to make. If you happened to be interested in a gold for knowledge deal, we'd be willing to let Compass go cheap to start on the right foot… say 40% of the beakers in gold, payable over time?
If you're more interested in tech for tech, we'd love to hear that proposal as well – though in the interest of full disclosure, we're very near learning the secret of Music ourselves, so it will have to be a trade for something other than that.

Looking forward to hearing word from your people.

All the best,

Foreign Minister General W
Servant of the Leader
Epsilon Team

Tried to keep the tone light and upbeat while still putting over that we did, in fact, notice that they never wrote back to us.

Thoughts? Feedback?

EDIT: Sent 2/12/07

yeah i would say give them one more chance.

If they still don't respond then I would stop sending them notes

ok - sending this as well!
:salute:

I don't think we should stop sending notes if they don't respond. As long as we are attempting to talk to them, there is hope for deals in the future. If we just stop trying it makes it a lot harder to work with them later.

Turn the other cheek.

I appreciate the note of optimism GB! I'm ok with turning the other cheek; even eating dirt if need be... as long as it helps makes Epsilon Strong.

We just need to make sure that perseverance doesn't turn into pestering. Sometimes, the best thing to do is lay low, not offended anyone, and hope they have a blowout with their current allies and come to us looking for a new friend.

How to tell where the line is? Well, that's the million dollar question, and I appreciate any insight anyone wants to offer.
It's only been 4 days since I sent this letter to aloha, I think we need to give them at least a week before we try a follow-up note.

ok - it's time to take another swing at Aloha... but I have a new target in mind....
Open Borders!

Hear me out... IF they were willing to go for this, sure they might scout our coast - but with our Caravel out and about, we're likely to scout theirs first. Also… Aloha still doesn't have a religion. If we can find them before they found Islam, then we've got a chance to spread Confucianism into their lands.
Not to mention the more direct benefit of just getting some additional long-distance trade routes.
Anyone oppose trying to do this?

Also – now that Aloha has Feudalism, we can potentially trade with them tech-for-tech. (Although, I think we should make an offer to Innovia at the same time… see if we can split their alliance a bit)

Here's a proposed letter:

Hail Aloha!

Congratulations on the magnificent Hanging Gardens! A true wonder of the world befitting your great empire.

We wish to seek your opinion on 2 proposals to bring our people closer together.

#1) Open Borders! With your boat out sailing the seas, and with our recent launch of naval forces, it's only a matter of time till we meet, and can begin prosperous trade. Would you be interested in signing this type of agreement with us?

#2) Trade for Feudalism. We noticed you recently learned the secret of Feudalism (700:science: ). Would you be interested in trading this knowledge for our deep secrets of Philosophy (800:science: )?

What do you say?

Servant of the Leader
Epsilon Team!

Comments? Feedback?

I think it is a good idea but they probably won't go for it. (we have no :traderoute: yet)

Well maybe it isn't a good idea. Because they may get a unit near at lands at some point, and we don't want them scouting at all. I would say only go open borders if we can't circumnavigate without it.

Ok – I guess we can hold off on offering Open Borders till we actually meet Aloha.
It's just… this landmass we've run into is right where I guesstimated Aloha would be – I won't be surprised if we meet them in the next 10 turns.

Just as our continent blocks sailing all the way around by the North, I expect Aloha's land will do the same – as we've encountered with the ice meeting the land.

Or maybe this is just a big secret island like I also speculated and I'm all worked up over nothing ;)

Here's a letter without the Open Borders language.
This better?

Spoiler No Open Borders Talk :

Hail Aloha!

Congratulations on the magnificent Hanging Gardens! A true wonder of the world befitting your great empire.

We wish to seek you’re a proposal to bring our people closer together.

A Trade for Feudalism! We noticed you recently learned the secret of Feudalism (700:science: ). Would you be interested in trading this knowledge for our deep secrets of Philosophy (800:science: )?

What do you say?

Servant of the Leader
Epsilon Team!

I'm pro Open Borders with Aloha. I'm not really sure what the evil is if they scout us out a little - let's just make sure they can't see any of our military, so they will have to keep guessing as to our numbers and types of units.

Besides - if we can harvest another gold or two from religion, plus getting a little LOS, that's well worth it, to me ;)

So I say, leave the OB offer in. I doubt they'd accept it, in any case :shrug:

Top Bottom