What does "Objective City" mean?

tamaneko

Chieftain
I'm playing the Gulf War scenario right now, and clicking on several enemy cities identifies them as "Objective City". What does that mean? I get some bonus for capturing them? It's kinda difficult for that since they're usually stacked with so many units that the city gets destroyed easily.

tamaneko said:
I'm playing the Gulf War scenario right now, and clicking on several enemy cities identifies them as "Objective City". What does that mean? I get some bonus for capturing them?
Doesn't the scenario tell you how you're supposed to win? Some scenarios require that you capture a certain number of objective cities to win. These cities are flagged by the scenario designer. Typically, each objective city is worth one point. In Fantastic Worlds there was the option to make more significant cities worth 3 points. For some reason this was scrapped in MGE - victory thresholds don't always translate well when FW scenarios are played using MGE. A designer may also set wonders to count as objectives and these are added to the objective value of the host city. Use F9 to check your score. It will tell you how many objectives you hold and how many you need to win.
tamaneko said:
It's kinda difficult for that since they're usually stacked with so many units that the city gets destroyed easily.
The designer should use city walls to prevent that.

Ah, I see thanks. Apparently capturing one of these cities gets me an extra point.

I have another question. I've noticed in this scenario how many of my enemies have LOTS of money, around $20,000 or more. Yet when I capture their very last cities, I only get a small fraction of that amount. Is there some way to ensure being able to get more of the enemies' money when capturing a city?

When you captured the last of your enemies' cities, did you clean up a several of them in the same turn? The amount of money you receive for capturing a city is based on the ratio of its size to the sum of the city sizes belonging to the same tribe. The latter is not recalculated until the beginning of that tribe's next turn. When you capture more than one of your opponent's cities in the same turn, you get ripped off.

Yeah, I did a clean sweep on the Russian cities(they had $23,000, but I only got around $9000 capturing their cities).

When you captured the last of your enemies' cities, did you clean up a several of them in the same turn? The amount of money you receive for capturing a city is based on the ratio of its size to the sum of the city sizes belonging to the same tribe. The latter is not recalculated until the beginning of that tribe's next turn. When you capture more than one of your opponent's cities in the same turn, you get ripped off.

Try capturing all but one of their cities and leave the last for the following turn. You'll end up with a larger pile of loot.

For as long as I've been playing this game, I still learn things around here. Incredible.

TimTheEnchanter said:
Wobbegong said:
Try capturing all but one of their cities and leave the last for the following turn. You'll end up with a larger pile of loot.
For as long as I've been playing this game, I still learn things around here. Incredible.
The formula for gold plunder goes something like this (with rounding):

G = t * s/(S + 1), where

G = Gold plundered
t = Defender's treasury
s = Size of city captured
S = Sum of defender's city sizes

The '+1' in the denominator has a significant effect on the size of the final payout. For example, if the last city is only size 1, then you'll only get 50% of the treasury. If the final city captured is size 19, then you'll get 95% of the treasury.
Wobbegong said:
The amount of money you receive for capturing a city is based on the ratio of its size to the sum of the city sizes belonging to the same tribe. The latter is not recalculated until the beginning of that tribe's next turn.
Associated with this quirk is what is known in scenario design circles as 'the first turn bug'. That's where the sum of the city sizes value for one or more tribes has not been set in the scenario file. You could have a situation where a tribe with over 100 cities would lose its entire treasury if it lost a single city in the first turn. The game recalculates the value (correctly) each turn thereafter. A simple hex edit to the SCN file fixes the problem.

Top Bottom