Initiative - Determining our Government

Which proposal do you support for our Government?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ravensfire

Member of the Opposition
Fellow citizens, we've got a variety of proposals on how to structure our Government. We need to decide which proposal is preferred, and tweak/finalize that proposal. As discussed here, here are the proposals that have been presented.

The poll options above lists the options, here is some more information about each, along with links to the specific proposal, and threads where the proposal is being discussed.

Poll options:
Parliamentary Government
Link to proposal
Link to discussion thread
Summary: Detailed proposal listing the offices. This uses a Parliment based system. Ministers are elected via popular election from a pool of candidates. Duties for each office, and the needed ministers, will need to be determined.

Tribal Government
Link to proposal
Summary: Detailed proposal listing the offices and duties. This uses a single supreme leader, plus one person per city who runs the city. Further offices are to be created as needed.

Traditional Government
Link to proposal
Summary: Rough proposal listing summaries of offices and duties. This is based on the system previous DG's have used to distribute the duties to different offices.

Other
Catch-all option. Please post your idea!

Abstain
You do not have a preference about the the government type.

Poll settings:
Public
Single-choice
4 days expiration

Interpretation:
If any single choice gains 50% or more of the non-abstain votes, that proposal will be deemed chosen by the citizens, and all further work on creating the final initiative for our Government structure will be focused on that proposal. Should no option gain 50% or more of the non-abstain votes, the top 2 (and any other tied options) will be posted in a subsequent poll with the same settings. This will continue until we determine our ruleset.

Thank you,
-- Ravensfire

i think we need a tribal government to start out with.. it just seems to befit the game more

I strongly support the Tribal Government Proposal and hope my fellow citizens will seriously consider voting for it. Why do I find this initiative so desirable and beneficial?

First, of the three proposals it most closely reflects the build as you go spirit of this game. We will start with two leaders – the Warlord and an Elder for our capital city – plus the judiciary, so we immediately will have elections to look forward to. It’s desirable to have a small, lean government early in the game because although everything we do at the beginning is critically important, there are only a few tasks for us to accomplish: found a capital and determine its production queue; decide on a tech path; and begin exploring. Everything affects everything at the beginning of the game, and I anticipate that having fewer officials early on will lead to more focused discussions about gameplay.

Second, although the game begins simple it quickly grows complex. The Tribal Government Proposal anticipates that and assumes that as the needs of our civilization grow, so will our government to meet those needs. For example, I assume that at some point we citizens will decide it might be desirable to have officials to head up our military and foreign affairs, as well as other offices. When that time arrives under the Tribal Government system it will be quite easy to define and add more offices. We will build our government as we go, adding what we need when we decide it benefits us the most. Under the other government systems that have been proposed we will elect many officials early in the game who, quite frankly, will have nothing to do. We’ve all heard the homily that idle hands are the devil’s workshop. If some of our elected officials are idle at the beginning of the game, what mischief might they get up to? Will they be staying up late carousing in the taverns of our capital and raising all sorts of Cain? Who will pay for their luxuries and wild parties? You know who: we hardworking citizens! Let us begin paying elected officials when conditions are right for them to put in an honest day’s work; and not a minute before.

Third, the Coup Concept is brilliant. In the past we’ve had impeachment processes, but they always seemed complicated and tedious to undertake. Also, because impeachment is such a serious word, citizens might hesitate before embarking on this course. Now, there is nothing trivial about a coup; but the mechanics of how we conduct a coup under the Tribal Government Proposal are simple, clear, and straightforward. It may be my perception only, but it seems to me that citizens have an easier way to calling their officials to account if their officials mess up royally. But such retribution won’t be unfair: we need a 60% majority vote in order to effect a coup. The coup concept is a really nice addition to the Demo Game.

As usual, I’ve babbled on too much; but I’ve done so because I think the Tribal Government proposal is excellent. I voted for it; I urge you to do so too.

Tribal it is!! it sounds cool, its simple and fair in its design. It allows for change. Any other vote is a joke VOTE TRIBAL!!!!

I abstained because I think it's way too early to worry about what kind of government we want to have. We start with a couple units. We don't need a government structure right now to make decisions.

I voted Traditional Government.

A structure is needed IMO - I can see tribal leading to long "discussions" as to when and why expansions to government are needed.

Traditional/Federalist Government

Voted Traditional (it looks Tribal shall win).

A new experience to me; each Elder working alone by him/herself... shall see.

Best regards,

I say tribal. Much more flexible.

Although I'd like to see how a Parlament at 4000 BC might work, I think eairly on simple is better. Tribal it is.

The thing is, the difference between Tribal and Parliamentary amounts to names and language: he uses "tribal" names and I write like a lawyer.

The thing is, the difference between Tribal and Parliamentary amounts to names and language: he uses "tribal" names and I write like a lawyer.
I think there are a few more differences that that! :lol:

We've got two solid proposals though, and that's a good thing. And most importantly, neither of them are the Triumverate! :eek:

-- Ravensfire

We've got two solid proposals though, and that's a good thing.

Which reminds me, what's with including Traditional in the vote? I thought only actual proposals would be included, and was looking forward to responding to those who wanted it but couldn't go to the trouble of writing it. :mischief:

Top Bottom