Europe (112X96) for Middle Ages Mod

Craig_Sutter

Deity
This is a huge Europe map for the Middle Ages/Medieval Mod.

The download is at:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=4179

A scenario using the Medieval Europe Mod that goes from 480 AD to 1480 AD. Set in a 112x96 Europe including most of Scandanavia, Europe to the Urals, the Middle East (about half of what is now Iraq) and North Africa, this Scenario has 18 civs as follows:

England
Viking Kingdoms
France
Germany
Spanish Kingdoms
Italian States
Hungary
Poland
Byzantium
The Turks
The Arabs
The Egyptians
The Moors
Greater Bulgaria
The Tatar Khaganates
Lithuania
Kievan Rus
Armenia

Each Civ starts with three cities, garrisoned with 2 warriors and a worker. One settler is also in the capital (except for Bulgaria, where the settler is placed in the eastern most city).

The Medieval Mod (0.50) is needed for this scenario... it is at

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193277

Also, visit the scenario thread at:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=5112678#post5112678

Also, note that I've not placed resources manually... they are randomly generated using the WBS python console. If you wish to regenerate the resources do it using the process in the following thread...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=145278

Screenshot:

The Medieval Mod your scenario requires is not able to be downloaded. The site it is shared from does not work.

I just checked, it seems to be working. The European Middle Ages Mod download that is. I'll have to try out this map after I release the Europe 500 I was working on. Probably later today or tomorrow.

I am not sure what you checked, but the download site is NOT working, and the stats at the download site shows ZERO successful downloads in the last week. There are also several messages attached to the download filke at that site stating the file cannot be downloaded.

The site says that there have been no downloads of 0.5 ever, which seems strange considering that a good number of people have downloaded it from there. I'm having no trouble downloading it, however my computer hasn't completed downloading it so I'll have to wait and see.

I am sorry, I heard that FileFront is periodically going down for maintenance. I believe it is going to fix that downloads not listed problem.

I tried to play a little of the map, unfortunately, my computer is too slow to play very many years in :(. Nice looking map though, looks very accurate and I like the choice of adding Bulgaria. One thing I've noticed though is that none of the civilizations have any starting technologies. I'm not sure if you meant for it to be like that, but without any starting technologies it takes a while to get the starting workers busy.

Ah, sorry... I forgot that. Assumed the Civs would start with the techs from the Civinfo.xml. I'll add those in, soon.

A smaller map is possible. Since I used the BMP to WBS program, resizing is easy; however, I don't want to lose too much detail, either, when I do so. I'll try experimenting and see how another 5-10% reduction looks. If it's not too bad, I'll go ahead and do it.

The current map is actually resized form 140x120, which really looks nice in its detail, but even more unplayable for older machines.

The resources are badly placed. Plus why place any res like ivory on the desert, if you cant build on it. On the other hand, its nice for a change that civs from all around the world dont build on the african desert. Many capitals have a very crappy starting position, & most of Anatolia is useless in terms of pop growth. Also, movement becomes an issue, cause only ships are fast enough to move armies efficiently, but even then, getting your units to the coast takes ages.

I won a Monarch Silk Route Victory, but I'm sort of a war monger, but I could only conquer Anatolia & Greece, though I have to say that taking Constantinople was quite fun. Also, tech trading is mad between Western Civs. The Islamic ones always fall behind, why would that be?

Also, how the hell do you counter Polish Hussars, 17 strength is overpowering:(

Had a funny war with the Vikings, they conquered Debrecen earlier, & they were the only ones cruzading to save poor Theodora from destruction. The only big battle I lost was at Adrianople, but in the end the war was defined by victories in Epyrus & Macedonia, where the vikings were finally defeated.

Other than the quite bad placement of resources, I have no complaints of the scenario, good work.

Thanks for playing.

As to resources, I mentioned in the first post that the placement was random. I do this largely for replayability. How to randomize your own placement is mentioned in the first post. When I add periodic updates, I routinely regenerate the resources, so the next update will have a different placement.

For city positioning, I went with historic placements, and haven't adjusted the map to make the capital placements necessarily the best.

Since I use the Medieval Mod, some of the items you mentioned can't be addressed. It is everchanging being at only version .5. Balance issues, such as unit strengths, are still being addressed. It is, however, very fun and playable as is.

There will be an update of this scenario soon. I neglected starting techs :).

Top Bottom