Barbarian Intensity options?

Quaetam

Conqueror
Before I get into my question, I just want to say I am one of those people who pretty much always plays on Raging Barbarians.
However, sometimes I wish Raging were a little harder; more of an actual threat, because even on Raging, you're pretty much fine once you have Axemen.
Under the Better AI project there is a similar idea about AI Agressiveness levels; that is what gave me this idea.
So, here's the question: Where is the data for the player options such as Raging Barbarians stored, and would it be possible to create a new "Insane" Barbarians option, with spawning of barbarians increased beyond that of Raging Barbarians?
I could also go the other way by creating a "Timid" Barbarians setting, in which the barbarians spawn, say, half as much as normal, because people who are new to the game tend to dislike barbarians, but not to the point where they want "No Barbarians."
Once I accomplish this I'll post a zip with the new file(s) for anyone who wants it! ;)

Additionaly, wasn't there a "Rampaging Barbarians" script around here a while back?
If so, could I have a link plz? I've been looking for athree days and still can't find it!

Jeez dude don't do a one hour bump. Have you looked into the python ans SDK to see how the Raging Barbarians option is hood up?

ClassicThunder said:
Jeez dude don't do a one hour bump. Have you looked into the python ans SDK to see how the Raging Barbarians option is hood up?

Sorry:mischief:

I have no clue how to analyze the SDK...

As for the python; I wouldn't know where to start!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Yakk! This is great!

Now I wonder if there is a way to make this a new game option; along the lines of Raging Barbarians,Lock Modified Assets, or Require Complete Kills, where you could simply check off whether or not you want to play on "Insane Barbarians."

Edit: After checking the GameOptionInfos XML, I have no headway on how to accomplish the above. This XML is merely text links for the options; I have no clue where the game stores how they affect gameplay. For now I think I'll just take what Yakk did and make new handicaps (I.E. instead of "Prince", "Insane Prince")

If anyone has ideas on how to make it a GameOption, please post.

A bit of grepping for -i "Barb" shows up some possible python hooks.

Adding a new option would probably be pretty easy. I don't know how to read options from the python...

But if you can read options from the python, then you could have some of the python barbarian hooks answer differently when asked by the game engine about barbarians.

And voila, an "Insane Barbarians" button.

To actually work this out, you would need to debug what those barbarian python hooks actually pass through, figure out how to get the option to display (which would probably consist of "follow the keywords" from an existing option), figure out the reading problem... and then test.

I have no clue about how python option hooks are read.
For now I took what Yakk did and made seven new difficulty levels, the next best thing to being able to check off "Insane Barbarians" as a custom game option.
The difficulty list now reads:

Settler
Chieftan
Insane Chieftan(Chieftan w/ insane barbs)
Warlord
Insane Warlord (Warlord w/ insane barbs)
Noble
Insane Noble (Noble w/ insane barbs)
Prince
Insane Prince (Prince w/ insane barbs)
Monarch
Insane Monarch (Monarch w/ insane barbs)
Emperor
Insane Emperor (Emperor w/ insane barbs)
Immortal
Insane Immortal (Immortal w/ insane barbs)
Diety

Here's the altered version of Yakk's mod:
Insane_Barbs.zip

Top Bottom