Civ Names that Evolve over Time

Okay, so I've mentioned this before in several places, but now I have actually started to look into modding it myself. I'd like to see civ names change over time (maybe every other era or so), e.g. Germanic Tribes -> Holy Roman Empire -> German Empire, or Roman Republic -> Roman Empire -> Italy. This would represent the changing tides of history, and is mostly aimed at mods/scenarios, and for those of us who want a change from the standard naming convention once in a while. Is there a simple way to create a tag in XML for the civilizations' names based on era, like that for art?

With the SDK you could add a tag, but this could also be accomplished via Python. It would require you to have a little Python knowledge to work with though.

If you would like I could write up a small MOD COMP that would allow you to change the civ name (I could also change the leader name). :cool:

Yup i would be glad to see this too :)

Great! I'm glad to see others are interested--particularly in the changing flags, something I've always wanted to see, too.

What do you think is the best way to go about this? Have it change by era? That makes most sense to me--if you don't want it to change every era, you could just use the same flags/names for two or more, just like with the diplomatic music.

I remember there was a big debate in the Rhye's and Fall of Civilizations forum over whether England should be called England or Britain. With this mod, it can obviously be both!

I started the huge, 13 page thread. Unfortunately two people were so argumentative they stopped it from happening.

I hope this mod (when completed) will be merged with RFC, then historical accuracy would truly be great.

About how, I like the ages idea, but would it be possible to have it over size? Like when England has all the Isles it's Britain, or when Athenai has all Greece it becomes Greece? I realise this would be incredibly difficult, but it's just a suggestion =P

That's a really good suggestion, but it would be limited only to the RFC scenario. I don't see how to implement that easily for a regular game. (I like it though, and I think that is how it should be done for RFC.)

Another way to do it (for regular games) would be to base it on techs, as an extension of the eras idea; but again this seems kind of arbitrary and not really related to how civs developed. England became Britain with the unification of Scotland, England and Wales, which would be hard to represent in game terms by technology. However, it could work. America would go from the "American Colonies" to the "United States of America" with the discovery of, say, constitution; Feudalism changes the Roman Empire to "Italian Republics". This might be unnecessarily overcomplicating matters, though.

ack, sorry, been playing RFC too long.

When you say this is how it should be done, do you imply that you might consider working on a merge? :p I really hope so, what with the mod being finished and all.

I like the specific techs thing, but America starting as a colony seems odd in 4000BC with no contact to another civ =P

I can see how this would work though.

Ideally, I would like to see this mod made for both Vanilla/Warlords and merged into RFC. I don't think Rhye would object to this style, as his mod is all about the changing face of civilizations.

I have to admit, you have a good point about America starting out as a colony in 4000 BC...of, er, what? (It'd be even funnier if England is not in the game.) Maybe it should start out as New England instead? (But then, what is "old" England if it's not in?) Oh, well... when you have Hinduism founded in York in 3700 BC I suppose a little thing like this won't matter much. :)

That reminds me, if Zebra 9 can do it this way, I'll have to compile a list of viable names for each civ for every other era or so, and we can tweak it. Shouldn't be too hard, but I hope it doesn't stir up a lot of controversy, like in the other thread (and like with Einstein in the great people mod, too!)

I wouldn't worry about controversy, there's an outraged thread over every tweak Rhye makes :p

What about calling it the New World? I realise that was the name of the continent but on a random map without England I can't think of anything better.

How about "Columbia"? It was popular for a while in some of the early years, but not really associated with the U.S. anymore.

Yeah, I'm not sure how people outside of the U.S. would respond to Columbia--it's just not associated with America anymore, though it was immensely popular in the 1700's. Of course, I doubt most Americans know much about the Franks or Gauls in relation to what is modern day France. It could be in some ways an educational experience, like civ often is. :)

Yeah. I won't tell a lie, I didn't know the US was associated with Columbia. If it'd come up as my civ name, I'd have been :confused:

Maybe you could include a little name popup explaining the name, or somehow incorporate it into the Dawn of Time screen.

Have you thought up the names for other civs at all? I'd be glad to help on brainstorming.

In the first place i think of Columbia as a seperate country in South America - i don't think it's good idea to call this early US
You man not have the knowledge about Gauls or Franks - and hear about them first time but people who nows what Gauls and Franks are won't tell that's it's nation in Africa. And people who knows about Columbia would tell that this country lays in South America. Maybe New England (or even Vinland) or Sioux could fit - and i won't worry about this that there's no Old England Country - still there's somwhere island named England :p

Top Bottom