Idea: Releasing dominions(?)

Hitti-Litti

Deity
Let's make a scenario. You are France. Those pesky Spaniards have conquered Lyonnais and Bordeaux. They are your richest cities, but you don't want to quit. Your economy is now more weak, and your colonies cripple it. If those colonies wouldn't have maintenance cost you could survive, but no.

Solution is here:

Release a dominion!

Idea is that you could release a dominion from your colonies or your cities in borders of your civ. Dominions wouldn't take a place of a civilization, if dominions would just be a part of your country that pays it's own cities maintenance and has it's own military. They could be separated in the map with a different style/colour border. Other civs could attack your dominion, and you could choose whether you defend it or not. If your dominion gets too strong it could either become your vassal or gain full independence.

Rhye, is this possible to include?
Others, do you like the idea?

We do need an ideas thread, a dedicated one.

An idea I've thought about is this:

Over time civilizations improve on units. For example, with fighters, initially they'd be rather weak slopworth camels and such, but over time these weapons were developed to the extent of us having spitfires.

My suggestion is that for every 10 units build of a certain type (I'm thinking planes and tanks here) the stats of the new build improves up to a maximum level. This would represent the difference between a civilization perfecting a military technology versus a civilization that had just learnt the technology and had only a basic grasp of the tech.

I'd like that :)

Maybe dominions can be some kind of team project. You build the dominion building on a place, and it actuates as a capital for the surrounding cities. I'm just brainstorming, I have no idea if this is possible.

Another possibility is to make Summer Palace an expensive building, instead of a national wonder, that needs a given number of Courthouses.

Good idea, Hitti-Litti! :goodjob:

I think the best way this could work is that the nation creates a vassal state controlling the territory. That way it could gain independence if it became strong enough, and we could have realistic Australian, African and American civs.

To get realistic names, they could work by area, e.g. Canada, Australia, South Africa.

I think this would work brilliantly. We could really have the rise and fall of the European colonial empires!

Tboy@ Thanks! Idea just popped into my mind.
The civs that could become independent could be taken from other mods, with their permission of course. Maybe a huge stability hit could be good if a dominion gets too strong and breaks free. Rhye could also increase general unhappiness in far away cities, so releasing dominions would be useful. Colonial cities could revolt if they don't either get the status of dominion or aren't allowed to join an existing one. That way AI could also crash and burn in front of colonies.

fearuin@ Summer Palace could be a building that needs to be built in the dominion's capital before it can be released. It would turn as a Palace if the dominion breaks free.

I want to see this idea done with care, even if it takes time. I don't have a computer that plays RFC:W smoothly at industrial ages, so for me it doesn't need to be hurried.

Rhye... We'd like to hear your comment...

Do you honestly think he'd work on any of this? I thought he made it clear that he was just about done.

Well, I'm not sure that does he have any passion to do this, but I'm just throwing ideas.

And for example Vishaing can mod, though I haven't seen him here and I doubt that he'd want to mod this.

Looks like Vishaing is fast becoming Rhye's heir. ;)

Can't wait for Rhyshaing's and Fall of Civilization!

:p

I really hope that Vishaing tells his opinion about this, as this idea is popular among us, and Rhye said that it could be modded. Or at least he said that it needs a lot of work, I think that it means it could be done.

hmmm, I'm personally not sure. I think it would be a good/useful/historically acurate feature to have, but I'm not sure how to do it.

For starters it would take a lot of work for the AI to understand this function, although I have some ideas on how to get them to understand it, i think. Furthermore the ability to release domains would require a rather hefty list of independent nations to be balanced (although I would like to make such a list as it is, so that's not really a problem as far as I am concerned):D , as other wise in the event of the AI understanding this and going just slightly in debt they might release a lot of domain and create a super independent monster civ. Or if the cities just become barbarian it would likely create a 'capture-release-capturerelease' cycle that would vastly weaken the AI civs.

Now don't misunderstand me, I like this idea, it reminds me of the 'Create Vassal' function available in Europa Universalis 3, which I really liked. I'm just not sure if its practical for the mod without extensive AI changes. My suggestion would be, as I can tell you know I won't be working on it for a while, if someone wants to take the base civ4 sdk and try and get this function working, it would make it far easier for me to merge it into RFC++.

Actually, I just had an idea that could make this far simpler. Essentially, if you could gift cities to dead civs (thereby also resurreting them) you might just need to modify the diplomacy screen for dead civs. This could also serve as a way of creating a 'just occupation' type war for the modern age.

I think for Vanilla, this would be best achieved by a 'ressurect civ' function, whereas Warlords would do best to just create a full 'create vassal' function, that starts up a minor civ (that could be unique to each major civ)

Another idea is giving cities the option of switching between federal controlled and provincially controlled. This could also be incorporated into civics too, perhaps Feudalism might force this for all cities other than the capitol. and other possibilities.

Actually, I just had an idea that could make this far simpler. Essentially, if you could gift cities to dead civs (thereby also resurreting them) you might just need to modify the diplomacy screen for dead civs. This could also serve as a way of creating a 'just occupation' type war for the modern age.

I think for Vanilla, this would be best achieved by a 'ressurect civ' function, whereas Warlords would do best to just create a full 'create vassal' function, that starts up a minor civ (that could be unique to each major civ)

I really like this one!! :goodjob: .It won't be the most accurate to history before industrial times (maybe Nationalism or a further tech may be needed?), but this mod is about writing it, no? And Japan's creation of Manchuria really reminds me this: they took the cities, the Chinese "collapsed", and they gave the cities to the the "dead Chinese" to create a new nation. Or the Vichy Republic, for example.
I have asked myself for this a lot of times, you can't imagine how much.

Any form of this would be great! :D

Vishaing's idea is OK for me, later on it could be upgraded. Maybe through the next expansion. :D

Top Bottom