RB29c - Cultural Extermination

sooooo

Emperor
The folks at Realms Beyond have 4 teams attempting the same goal: Cultural Extermination. Welcome to team C's thread.

Team C is:
  • sooooo
  • Qwack
  • Kodii
  • sunrise089
  • Ozbenno
  • Swiss Pauli

Official variant rules are:

1) Cities may not be captured or razed under any circumstances.
2) Our units cannot enter enemy territory without Open Borders.

We will aim for conquest victory. I believe only domination is disabled.

The start for Sullla's game is here, but we may want to adjust some settings.

The map is standard size pangaea with normal sea level. No barbarians, prince difficulty, version 1.61 of CIV (no warlords).

So team C, sign in and discuss what settings changes (if any) we want to make before we play. :D

I think my preference would be Asoka. Second choice Hatty. Asoka starts with Mysticism (huge) and organised is almost as good as financial. Also he has the best UU and cheap courthouses (I assume we will be founding confucianism and getting CoL early). Our cities will have high maintenences in this variant. The lack of creative is only limiting in the early game. But if we plan to found the first 4-5 religions (with stonehenge, oracle) then we may not need the 2 culture from creative trait since all of our first 4-5 cities could be holy.

Also, not so sure about Sullla's choice of AIs. Do we really want to play against Caesar and Napoleon if we are rapidly expanding and not building so much defense early on? I think more peaceful civs would be better.

Interesing comments. I think financial is better than organized in a situation where you will use the culture slider to get culture into some cities, although its not a huge difference, just 1 commerce extra per cottage. But since we arent using cathy anyways, no point arguing about that :p

I agree with your analysis about the religions though. We can easily pick up the first 5(or 5 out of 6 if we skip theology) with Asoka, although with hatty we can pick up 3 or 4 out of those 5 (Missing just the first I think).

One thing though is if we plan to go meditation -> Polytheism, we should probably go settler first or warrior -> Settler so hinduism is founded in second city. I dont care about the AI's.

So anyways, Hatty or Asoka are both fine with me.

BTW, I just noticed the AI's sulla picked, neither of them are either creative or have mysticism, so if we go with those AI's, we can probably found the first 5 religions with hatshepsut.

Checking in.

I'm not leaning towards any leader at the moment. If we use the same AIs as Sullla, then Hatty works great for me. The only reason why I wouldn't want to use Hatty is because Sullla used her for his passive-aggressive domination game.

I noticed ruff_hi's comment on the RB forums. Being locked out of other threads because of the same map doesn't fancy me, especially while already being involved in a similar situation (SGOTM). If the other teams decide to use different maps, should we as well?

If you're going to expand rapidly, I'd say Asoka would be the better choice (maintenance costs are going to KILL you!).

Checking in.

Personally I favor using the same map. But I'm easy to please. As far as our choice of leader, the observation about picking the leader based on the AIs is a very good one. If we're going random (and that could make this unwinnable with a creative neighbor) then we need Mystacism, otherwise other considerations may be more important. Also, I'm not if I agree Organized is nearly as good as Financial for us - remember, this is Vanilla and we're playing on a lower level, right?

Yes, I wasn't suggesting we pick AIs that are creative or start with mysticism.

But even at prince, it may be difficult to deal with an early war declaration from Napoleon or Caesar. I think Sullla has picked roughly the same AIs as he did for his always peace game, possibly not considering that they could well declare on us when it's not always peace. I'm not sure why he has avoided the financial or philosophical AIs. I think I'd rather face the likes of Elizabeth, Mansa, and Washington over Genghis, Napoleon and JC.

I think Sullla has picked roughly the same AIs as he did for his always peace game, possibly not considering that they could well declare on us when it's not always peace.

lurker's comment: i was thinking the exact same thing. ps good luck and have fun.

I'm not sure why he has avoided the financial or philosophical AIs. I think I'd rather face the likes of Elizabeth, Mansa, and Washington over Genghis, Napoleon and JC.
I can't speak for Sullla, and he can't look at this thread so I will venture a guess ;). He wants opponents who are both culture poor and poor at teching. You don't want to be competing against Mansa or Lizzy for Liberalism.

From what I'm hearing through the thread at RB, the other teams are playing the same saves without alteration. Do we really want to be the black sheep and do something different? :)

From what I'm hearing through the thread at RB, the other teams are playing the same saves without alteration. Do we really want to be the black sheep and do something different? :)

I suppose not. Since I'm already in favor of making good comparisons after the game ends, and all the other teams seem to want to use the actual save, I suppose we should as well.

@Atlas - Why aren't you playing this game? I thought most of the active RBers seemed to be in this one.

By popular consensus I played from Sullla's save without changes. I spent quite a long time figuring out a decent plan - tech order and build order. I figure out we can get a settler out to be the hindu holy city or the jewish one, not both. Of course if we found judaism then we get a double holy city in our second city - not bad. But I decide that if we get hinduism not to beeline to judaism - instead get fishing and bronze working first. Fishing lets us work a 3-commerce tile while growing quickly, so should be gotten after hinduism. Bronze working lets us whip in future settlers and workers and will be excellent. After that we go for judaism but won't be distraught if we don't get it because we're not relying on founding it in a fresh city.

I started with a settler and mysticism. We pop a map revealing Washington, and stumble into Paris too.

We found buddhism in Moscow.

Settler completes, heads to the double oasis spot. Looked the best spot - 2 financial oasises will easily pay for future expansion and the site is 3 squares from Paris. Had to delay polytheism for 3 turns (put research into fishing). Build a warrior in Moscow and found here:

Then research back to polytheism and found hinduism in our new city.

Finish off warrior and fishing, start work boat at max production. Start bronze working to whip in future settlers and workers.

OK, future plans:

At Moscow, finish work boat at max production and then max-growth to size 4 while making 2 more warriors. Then switch to settler. Or we could build it at size 2, but size 4 lets us do a 2-pop whip and we get some warriors too.

When St Pete grows to size 2, work the 2 oasises and change to worker. Whip worker when possible, overflow into stonehenge. Use worker to build mines + chop forests for St Pete and turn it into production city. Build stonehenge here. Hopefully this city becomes a double-holy one and steals Paris' cows :p. Build oracle in same city as stonehenge to get a prophet quicker.

Tech wise, finish BW then masonry and monotheism.

Sound about right?

The Save

When St Pete grows to size 2, work the 2 oasises and change to worker. Whip worker when possible, overflow into stonehenge. Use worker to build mines + chop forests for St Pete and turn it into production city. Build stonehenge here. Hopefully this city becomes a double-holy one and steals Paris' cows :p. Build oracle in same city as stonehenge to get a prophet quicker.

Perhaps you'll want to crank out some military from St. Petersburg sooner or later. If you aren't planning to make St. Peter's into a military haven, you'll probably want to place your third or fourth city (probably fourth) somewhere which can be a decent military producer. This is not Always Peace, so you'll want to have at least ONE city cranking out military for ages.

Lurking:

Plus me being irritating and posting in an SG that I'm not in:p:
With holy city + stonehenge, I doubt you will need anything else to take a second ring tile from Paris. You are already out culturing Nappy 7 to 2, so you will be putting the pressure on very soon.

Top Bottom