Science Advisor Tutorial: How to get you Modified Tech Tree to Look Professional

Kal-el

Deity
Science Advisor Tutorial:

How to get you Modified Tech Tree to Look Like a Professional
1: Back up files science_ancient.pcx, science_middle.pcx, science_industrial.pcx, and science_modern.pcx. these files are located in the Art/advisor folder
2: Make Three copies of science_blank.pcx
3: Name the four science_blank files; science_ancient.pcx, science_middle.pcx, science_industrial.pcx, and science_modern.pcx, one each.
4: Start the Game
5: Go to Science Advisor Ancient Screen
6: Hit the Print Screen Button on your keypad
7: Open Windows Paint - paste copied page into Paint - Save image as "Science Ancient Original.bmp"
8: Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the other three eras naming the new images accordingly.

9: Plot out the X Y coordinates for each of your techs.
Hint 1: Use the attached Grid for even easier plotting.
Hint 2: It is easier if you just do one era at a time.
Hint 3: Use the positions of the original techs as a guide for your techs. Better yet use the positions of the techs in DYP mod - there are more points of reference
10: Repeat steps 6 and 7 rename new file "Science Ancient Working.bmp" This should give you an approximate view of what your tech tree will look like. You can now cut and paste the techs and move them around to there exact desired locations.
Hint 4: It is easier if you have already completed the relationships between techs, units and improvements. This allows you to have a better feel of what size tech boxes you will be dealing with.

Using the Grid Overlay:
11: Once all the tech boxes are in place on the bitmap you can now use the attached grid overlay to easily plot out your tech coordinates. Using a program that allows layers, such as Adobe PhotoShop, open your image with all the tech boxes in their desired places.
12: Copy the Grid overlay and paste in onto the working advisor screen as a new layer.
13: Select all the white areas of the Grid overlay.
14: Cut all the selected white areas from the image. This should leave you with the just the pink lines over your tech boxes.
15: Use the Grid Coordinates to help plot your coordinates.
16: Enter the coordinates into the .bic or .bix file.
17: Open the Game and Capture the image of your new advisor screen.
18: Compare your new Working image with the Original image or the DYP image to plot a more accurate position for your techs.
19: Repeat until satisfied.

Ok, so you have everything in order now what about the arrows?
Using the two arrow sheets I have supplied below all it takes is a little time and patience and you can have your tech tree in playing order.

20: Now that you have your tech boxes in place go ahead and take some screen shots of them.
21: The next step is draw in the arrows by hand. This will give you a rough idea of what you will be looking at. At this time you may notice that some of the tech boxes need to be moved around a bit to accomodate all the necessary arrows. If so go back and repeat steps 15-18.
21: Once you have all the arrows drawn in you can move on to the finished arrows. Find an arrow that you like from the arrow sheet and go to town on a clean version of the advisor screen.

Hint 5: I find the easiest way is to do most of your editing in Paint. This program allows you to make anything white, clear so you can copy an arrow from one of the arrow sheets and easily place it into your advisor screen.
22: After you have all your arrows in place cut out all the tech boxes
23: Copy the Whole Image
24: Open the blank versions of the advisor screens and paste your arrow image into the blank advisor screen. Make sure you set the white to transparent.
25: Save
26: Open your new file in PSP and set the Palette Transparency.
27: Repeat for each era.

Congratulations! Your Done.

Attachments

• arrows and blank advisor.zip
    478.5 KB · Views: 1,821
Nice Kal-el. I can see myself using the instructions and the pics you have supplied. Thanks. :D

Here are some modified tech boxes that will help you to fit more techs in each era. The border has been removed. These were originally created by Elucidus, but had to be slightly modified with the release of 1.21f.

Attachments

• techboxes.zip
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,259
Thank you. It has been a big help.

Originally posted by Kal-el
Science Advisor Tutorial:

20: Now that you have your tech boxes in place go ahead and take some screen shots of them.

Hint:
(1) In PtW, create a scenario and put Kal-el's blank science advisor screen in the folder (mimic the file structure: Art/Advisors/science_xxxxx.pcx). Make sure to rename the blank advisor screen to the one you're currently modifying. (e.g. science_modern.pcx).

(2) Now when you go into the game with all your techs in the correct x,y position, you'll see a science advisor screen without arrows, but your techs neatly placed. Take a screenshot.

(3) Copy arrows out of Kal-el's blank arrows file and paste it into you bmp screenshot you made of your new tech screen. But, before you click to accept, you'll notice the x,y coordinates of your arrow at the bottom of the screen (I know PSP and Lview Pro both do this). Make note of it.

(4) Now open Kal-el's blank advisor sheet and place a copy of the arrow onto it (Paste as new selection). (In PSP and Lview Pro, use [Ctrl][E]). Move the arrow to the exact same coordinates you remembered from your screenshot, and click it into place.

Voi la, arrows are placed right where they're supposed to be.

(5) Save the blank advisor screen you placed your arrows on as science_modern.pcx (or whatever era it's for).

You now have a professional looking science advisor screen! (Without going through Kal-el's steps 21-27 which I didn't quite understand).

Just thought you folks would like to hear an alternative way to do it. :D

Hi!

Um... I set my techs up, took a few screens shots and then moved them around using Photoshop and re-entered them.

I did my four tech screens and I copy and paste and rotated...etc.. to get the arrows how I wanted them and the saved each of them (as PCX) and then changed the files around so I could use them in my mod, but...

Everything was black except for the techs!!!

I didn't use the blank screens and I left the techs on figuring that it didn't matter. Now do these matter and that is what caused it screw up??

Can anyone help??

:confused: :confused:

Sounds like your transparancy is off. You need to fix your color palette.

Use this palette file in PSP to fix your problem.

Attachments

• science_blank.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 524

I'll try that when I get home from work.

That is if I figure it out... really tired and brain not work after work.

Thanks

Later

Hey

I am only a basic user of Photoshop and I'm not sure how to set the Transparency with the Tech screen I set up.

Will it work if I cut and paste everything from mine to your blank screen??

If not could you give me a step-by-step example please and thank you.

Thanks

Later

Me!!!

the only thing I use PSP for is palette editing, so I can't help you with more than that.

All you need to do is put your arrows on the blank advisor screen and then load the palette provided above. The image below should help point you in the right direction. :)

Attachments

• palette help.gif
    palette help.gif
    45.3 KB · Views: 3,728
How do you change the Tech Tree for a particular scenario & not permanently?

Top Bottom